The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Did you know/119 page,

one of the earlier drafts of the Targaryen family tree, dating circa 1998, had Alysanne Targaryen as the daughter of King Maegor I Targaryen? Not much later George R. R. Martin changed the family tree and Alysanne became the daughter of King Aenys I Targaryen, Maegor's older brother, instead. As a result of this change, Alysanne's husband, Jaehaerys I Targaryen, became her brother instead of her cousin.

The reference is a 2018 comment by @Ran

However, in Alysanne Targaryen's Behind the Scenes section, there's a note that says:

removing the Maegor parentage draft, as Elio has said he remembered incorrectly.

In this case, the reference is a 2017 comment by Ran.

Which is the correct reference, the most recent or the less recent?

29 minutes ago, Oneiros Drakontos said:

Do you mean the comment saying Alysanne never was Maegor's daughter in Targaryen's family tree is the correct one?

(English is not my native language, I want to be sure I don't misunderstand)

Correct. I misremembered and the 2017 note is my correcting the record.

Hey, I realized that the wiki has no battle maps for the Dance of the Dragons, and hasn't really had new battle map updates in about a decade -- this wasn't an issue during HotD Season 1 but will be in Season 2, so I quickly cobbled together a few rough draft placeholder maps: I AM NOT AN ARTIST, these aren't good maps, they're just better than nothing, my goal was just to "get the ball rolling" on this as a project: 

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Map_Images_-_Conflicts

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Gonzalo said:

Hi. I just noticed that Ser Harras Harlaw is categorized as a salt son, but the text of the article itself doesn't indicate he's such.

I guess it is because his mother wasn't a rock wife (as she was from the westerlands). But do we have any idea how the ironborn consider wives who both aren't ironborn and weren't kidnapped from the main lands?

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Years_before_Aegon's_Conquest

This page lists the prominent deaths from Aegon's Conquest with 2 BC, but do we know they all occurred in that year?

TWOIAF and FAB explain:

The maesters of the Citadel who keep the histories of Westeros have used Aegon's Conquest as their touchstone for the past three hundred years. Births, deaths, battles, and other events are dated either AC (After the Conquest) or BC (Before the Conquest).

True scholars know that such dating is far from precise. Aegon Targaryen's conquest of the Seven Kingdoms did not take place in a single day. More than two years passed between Aegon's landing and his Oldtown coronation...and even then the Conquest remained incomplete since Dorne remained unsubdued. Sporadic attempts to bring the Dornishmen into the realm continued all through King Aegon's reign and well into the reigns of his sons, making it impossible to fix a precise end date for the Wars of Conquest.

Even the start date is a matter of some misconception. Many assume, wrongly, that the reign of King Aegon I Targaryen began on the day he landed at the mouth of the Blackwater Rush, beneath the three hills where the city of King's Landing would eventually stand. Not so. The day of Aegon's Landing was celebrated by the king and his descendants, but the Conqueror actually dated the start of his reign from the day he was crowned and anointed in the Starry Sept of Oldtown by the High Septon of the Faith. This coronation took place two years after Aegon's Landing, well after all three of the major battles of the Wars of Conquest had been fought and won. Thus it can be seen that most of Aegon's actual conquering took place from 2-1 BC, Before the Conquest.

While events earlier in the Conquest (like the burning of Harrenhal, for instance) most likely occurred in 2 BC, would it be better to give a range like 2 BC-1 AC for relevant articles if we don't know for certain?

A question for @Ran.

The first Lord of Highgarden is called Harlen Tyrell in the appendices of the main series, while is called Harlan in The World of Ice & Fire, Fire & Blood and The Rise of the Dragon. Which should it be the correct spelling?

Personally I think it shoud be Harlan, since it is the most recent, is the most used and is featured in the book texts, not only in the appendices.

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

While events earlier in the Conquest (like the burning of Harrenhal, for instance) most likely occurred in 2 BC, would it be better to give a range like 2 BC-1 AC for relevant articles if we don't know for certain?

I think the Last Storm is the last event which definitively took place in 2 BC, after that it gets a bit blurry. The Field of Fire could have occured in the first days of 1 BC.

Something I've just noticed: Aegon's coronation in Oldtown marked the beginning of a new calendar, so it was on the first day of 1 AC (there are some question marks on the 1, because GRRM seems to calculate with a year 0, which doesn't make much sense in my opinion, but doesn't matter here). Since more than two years passed between Aegon's Landing and his coronation, the former must have occured in 3 BC. This wouldn't change the fact that most of the conquering took place in 2 and 1 BC, but it would shift the starting point.

Edited by The Wondering Wolf

13 hours ago, Ran said:

I would go Harlan. Harlen's an oversight that's gone uncorrected in the appendices.

The spelling of "Harlen" only appears for this characters. Meanwhile we have 4 "Arlan" (of Pennytree and 3 Durrandon kings), 3 "Harlan" (Grandison, Hoare, and Hunter), as well as 2 Garland Gardener kings and 1 Garlan Tyrell . So it does make more sense to be "Harlan Tyrell" over "Harlen Tyrell".

40 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Aegon I was born in 27 BC, but he became 60 in 33 AC and 64 in 37 AC, which isn't possible without a year 0.

Maybe he just pulled up a calculator and put "33 - 60" without thinking about it. Something to ask him whenever there's an opportunity to

I'm actually a bit interested in the Harlan / Harlen spelling, since it's quite curious that the latter form remains consistent through all the appendixes of the main five books, while -if I recall correctly- the Harlan spelling only appears in TWoIaF and F&B. Could this be another case of Myriah / Mariah Martell?

Edited by zajaz

@zajaz

• Myriah Martell to Mariah Martell to Myriah Martell
  • Myres to Myros
  • Willum Royce to Willam Royce
  • Tyler Hill to Emory Hill (+ a separate Tyler Hill was created earlier in the timeline too)
  • Rogar Baratheon to Robar Baratheon to Rogar Baratheon
  • Dormand Darry to Darnold Darry

There has been quite a few examples in the past, Harlen to Harlan is just the most recent one we were made aware of.

There are more if you count the reordering of Jaehaerys I's children that resulted in Aeryn Targaryen to Daenerys Targaryen or the several mispellings of characters throughout the series:

• Arys Oakheart misspelled as "Aerys"
  • Jarman Buckwell misspelled as "Jarmen"
  • Cuger misspelled misspelled as "Cugen"
  • Rubert Brax misspelled as "Rupert"
  • Lothor Brune misspelled as "Lothar"
  • Sumner Crakehall misspelled as "Crake-hall"
  • Osmund Kettleblack misspelled as "Oswald"
  • Mago misspelled as "Maggo"
  • Torwynd misspelled as "Torwyrd"
  • Eldon Estermont misspelled as "Elden"
  • Sybell Spicer misspelled as "Sybelle"
  • Shadrich misspelled as "Shadrick"
  • Erik Ironmaker misspelled as "Eric"
  • Bowen Marsh misspelled as "Bower"
  • House of Zhak misspelled as "Zakh"
  • Ginger Jack misspelled as "Ginjer"
  • Ramsay Bolton misspelled as "Ramsey"

@Ran I'm wondering if the character of "Marian Stark" in the Blood of Dragons MUSH was named by Linda and you, or if you took that name from some of GRRM' notes he shared with you and he later decided to change her name into what it is currently in the canon "Mariah Stark" ?

Edited by Thomaerys Velaryon

I have a question, a page got made recently on the Braavosi language where it says the language has loanwords from Valyrian. But is was always under impression that its a dialect of Valyrian like the languages of the other free cities. @Ran am i wrong and is it a seperate language like the page says?