General UK Politics Thread

Zoë Sumra

Um, no. By and large those people voted Tory in the 1980s. Margaret Thatcher made a point of reaching out to them, in fact.

The second claim may be true, but I don't think the first one is. If it were, the Tories would have done an awful lot better in the inner city strongholds of the NF.

The second claim may be true, but I don't think the first one is. If it were, the Tories would have done an awful lot better in the inner city strongholds of the NF.

Depends exactly which voters we're talking about, I suppose. I'm thinking in that sentence of the socially conservative working class: not so much diehard NF/BNP voters, but those who may consider voting BNP as a protest. Not all of them did vote for the Tories, of course, but my understanding is that a good many of them did and many more were very sympathetic to the Tory social agenda.

I think you're right in saying that a high proportion of BNP protest voters are probably normally Tory voters. I think actual BNP supporters would tend to be either formerly non-political or former Labour voters, though. They tend to be working class traditionalists in inner cities and former industrial areas, not the aspirational working class who were Tories in the 80s.

Jacqui Smith is expected to stand down as home secretary in a reshuffle, Whitehall sources have told the BBC.

Hoorah! (But not really unexpected). At this rate, Harman is going to be the only woman left in the cabinet.....

Ms Smith has been criticised for listing her sister's London house as her main home for expenses - and her husband's claim for an adult movie.

It is understood Ms Smith, the first woman home secretary, intends to defend her Redditch seat at the next election.

Are you sure that's wise Jacqui?

Slightly more pride in saying "I will never resign!" three days before being fired, and that's all that counts. A sliver of pride will be a rare commodity in Westminster over the next few weeks.

Gordon is screwed. His own Cabinet are now delighting in undermining his attempt to seize the initiative with his reshuffle. First Smith and now Blears, who's next, I wonder? That's what you get for being a charmless and vindictive arsehole, Mr Brown.

I don't think he can survive. I give him a week.

I'm not sure I agree, I think the story requires that the man who avoided an early election should fail at a late one.

It's a much more coherent narrative that way, otherwise the plotlines are going to be terribly messy, not even up to Channel Five standards.

A fair point, but according to the UDM rule that would mean he wins, and no one, with the possible exception of Gordon Brown, wants that to happen

:lol:

Excellent conclusion.

Is it expected that Ms Blears will launch a vicious flank attack on our Dear Leader as well?

In the end, how many MPs and Cabinet members will actually be left, what with all the stepping down and expenses scandals?

Guido Fawkes is reporting that there are rumours that Caroline is about to resign as well................if the intensity carries on at this level I really can't see GB surviving however stubborn he is.

Personally I just wish the Labour Party would acquire some backbone and just tell GB to go and have the leadership election they should have had 2 years ago. The new leader (god help us if its Harman) would then promise to go the electorate within 6 months hopefully with a proper set of policies and ideas that at the very least would force the Tories and Lib Dems to come up with something more substantial than 'isn't Gordon awful'. I want a proper general election with lots of heavyweight ideas and policies that have been missing in the last two elections under Blair and which would force the major parties out of the stupor they have been in for the last two parliaments . However, this is probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm not a big fan of Brown's, but since I was under the impression that Blears was pretty close to getting sacked anyway I don't know how much more unsustainable it makes Brown's position than it already was.

Archived