The Brandon Sanderson Thread

BuckShotBill

Really? You're going to put BS in the same category of praise that you would put the creator of TCoTC in?

Considering how polarizing Donaldson can be, I can't tell on whose behalf you're insulted. Regardless, I didn't categorize anyone. I compared based on one point of similarity, namely authors who have switched between series, without saying they are in all other ways equal.

Considering how polarizing Donaldson can be, I can't tell on whose behalf you're insulted. Regardless, I didn't categorize anyone. I compared based on one point of similarity, namely authors who have switched between series, without saying they are in all other ways equal.

He's insulting Sanderson. If you look back at this thread you'll see he's been annoyingly elitist against Sanderson.

I'm thinking of buying the Mistborn trilogy. Someone tell me: Does Sanderson kill characters like a motherfucker?

Not until the complete asteroid-caused die off at the end of the second book. Third book, nothing but cockroaches.

Has anyone read his newer book The Way of Kings? Its the first book of the stormlight archives

Use the forum search, there is a thread. Lots of us have read it, and reactions are predictable...mixed. Which on this forum means bordering on negative. My personal opinion, great and fun ideas but clumsy execution, especially in the early going(badly timed info-dumps). Also some gender roles that he no doubt felt were cleaver twists, but really don't hold up to the common sense test.

Mistborn I enjoyed, even if it had a few issues. (Mostly the standard Sanderson ones)

Way of Kings had some interesting ideas but was overly long and bloated and just .... badly written in lots of parts.

Like, Sanderson doesn't have the best the best prose, usually mediocre/servicable, but some parts of WoK are terrible even compared to his other work.

a. 2005 - Elantris, written to work as a standalone

b. 2009 - Warbreaker, standalone

a. Yes, but now going to be a trilogy. Some time in the future.

b. No. Why do I have to wait 10 years for Nightblood?

I'm thinking of buying the Mistborn trilogy. Someone tell me: Does Sanderson kill characters like a motherfucker?

Yes, yes he does.

Perhaps not like a motherfucker, but a few every now and then? If it's recommendations time I'll say that I liked Mistborn, especially the first book, WoK had an epic sense that I liked, but like they've said above, writing/cliched characters weighs it down pretty badly. Finally, I hated Elantris so my advise is to avoid it.

Has anyone read his newer book The Way of Kings? Its the first book of the stormlight archives

I haven't read TWoK yet, but it got really positive reviews:

The Wertzone

Neth Space

SFFWorld

The Mad Hatter's Bookshelf

Grasping for the Wind

The Way of Kings won David Gemmell Legend Award last year.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/06/brandon-sanderson-wins-david-gemmell-legend-award-for-the-way-of-kings

The Way of Kings is way longer then it had to be, but it's still very good. Down to preference of course however; if you disliked alot of other Sanderson work then tWoK will not change your mind. The lack of sex is handled much better, however the swearing problem is if anything even worse. I personally didn't mind it too much but I can definately see why some people would hate it.

Edit : In my opinion his best work is probably Warbreaker, but thats just me. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it...

• 1 month later...

We finally have a release date for The Rithmatist (written in 2007):

The first is The Rithmatist, a middle grade coming out from Tor Books next year about Joel, a non-magic kid enrolled in a magic school (his mom’s the cleaning lady there) who starts investigating a murder that happens at the school. The magic system is “chalkboard magic,” which Brandon likened to playing Starcraft. The kids draw a chalk circle around themselves on the floor then scribble in things that try and chew through the other kids’ own chalk circles. Fans of his Alcatraz series will find the same appeal from The Rithmatist, according to the author.

About "Stormlight 2":

After A Memory of Light is finished, Brandon’s next focus is finishing the next Stormlight Archive book “as soon as possible, hopefully by this time next year.” The next book is already intricately plotted out, which is about the halfway point for Brandon, and the rest of the writing “could take as little as 6 to 8 months.”

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/other-tidbits-from-brandon-sandersons-sdcc-spotlight

Amazon.co.uk claims that this book will be published in November 2013.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-Sanderson-Stormlight-Archive-Book/dp/0575099046/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342554826&sr=1-1

The Way of Kings is way longer then it had to be, but it's still very good. Down to preference of course however; if you disliked alot of other Sanderson work then tWoK will not change your mind. The lack of sex is handled much better, however the swearing problem is if anything even worse. I personally didn't mind it too much but I can definately see why some people would hate it.

Edit : In my opinion his best work is probably Warbreaker, but thats just me. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it...

Way of Kings seemed like a prologue to a bigger book, it was mostly set-up. And I felt that at least one character- Shallan- was shortchanged, but Sanderson explained that as her story being just an introduction I think. He still could have cut the whole thing and added it to the next book.

The books definitely do feel a bit "clean" at times,but seeing as that is the default setting for most fiction (albeit fiction I don't read) I can't blame him, as long as he doesn't spiral into Elantris levels of unrealistic optimism and cliche .

. I recently started Mistborn and couldn't give a shit, and Elantris was terribly, terribly cliche. Sanderson is seeming like Gaiman to me-highly overrated.I might try out Warbreaker because I just don't buy that he's not my type of writer, because on the surface he definitely seems to be. More effort is needed.

Archived