Christopher Paolini

HALover9000

[quote name='Lawtalkingdan' post='1751976' date='Apr 10 2009, 19.25']Hey, I live in Oregon and I don't think it's cliched in the slightest. Washington, on the other hand, is just a re-hash of things that other states have already done better.[/quote]
Hey, don't make fun of his oregon misspelling!
His Eragorn one is much funnier!

• 2 years later...

Paolini's last book is out today. I kinda want to know what happens to the only character i like, but before i even try to read it I'd like to know how good bad it is. Is anyone here going to read it?

Paolini's last book is out today. I kinda want to know what happens to the only character i like, but before i even try to read it I'd like to know how good bad it is. Is anyone here going to read it?

I have a twelve year old sister. I will soon know everything about that book, which is your favourite character?

Maybe skim it in a bookstore? I think its safe to assume its bad though.

Yeah, i think I will. Or maybe I'll dowload it, because i live in italy and I really want to read it in english (so i can compare Paolini's writing to his previous book and see how it's not improved :D)

I have a twelve year old sister. I will soon know everything about that book, which is your favourite character?

It's the bad guy with the red dragon (whose name I can even remember :D) the only one with a bit of personality.

Ps: ahaha you sister made me I remember that Eragon used to be my favorite book. I was 10. The second one came out when i was eleven, and I absolutely hated it.

Eragon was great?

If I may ask, do you also like Stanek or Goofkind or Newcombe?

Ah I loved Newcomb. His characterization of women was... can we say awe-inspiring? Spot on? Just really really powerful books. Brighten my day everytime I think of them.

Edit: If you execuse me for 1 sec, I feel something coming up my throat.

Edit 2nd time: By the way, I was NOT the person he was directing the question to. I just felt I should add my opinion too, since I loved Paolini too :)

Yeah, i think I will. Or maybe I'll dowload it, because i live in italy and I really want to read it in english (so i can compare Paolini's writing to his previous book and see how it's not improved :D)

It's the bad guy with the red dragon (whose name I can even remember :D) the only one with a bit of personality.

Ps: ahaha you sister made me I remember that Eragon used to be my favorite book. I was 10. The second one came out when i was eleven, and I absolutely hated it.

Lol, wasn't he Eragon's half brother or something? I think his name was Murtagh or something like that. Yeah, he was my favourite too. In the first book I thought he and the queen (Nasuada??, I think) were gonna hook up. I too am waiting for someone to tell me what happens too, since I don't think I can stand to read about Arya and her endless perfection (a 100 year old hot elf falling for some teenage boy???). If however, someone tells me there is a major twist, maybe I'll read it.

Okay, DONT read it. It's more cliched than an american catastrophic movie, where you always know who the good guys are, and they're so perfect and they're going to save the day somehow. And they're handsome. Everybody lives happily ever after.

Kinda like independence day, without the quite good writing, without Bill Pullman and without Will Smith.

More like Transformers 3 actually - but worse.

Lol, wasn't he Eragon's half brother or something? I think his name was Murtagh or something like that. Yeah, he was my favourite too. In the first book I thought he and the queen (Nasuada??, I think) were gonna hook up. I too am waiting for someone to tell me what happens too, since I don't think I can stand to read about Arya and her endless perfection (a 100 year old hot elf falling for some teenage boy???). If however, someone tells me there is a major twist, maybe I'll read it.

Yeah, thank you for reminding me his name, and thank god for the search function. I wasn't able to read the whole book (it was painful), so i only read the parts i disliked the less - and i was rooting for the evil king. No need to say it - he died. What a waste of a potential interesting character (CP wrote him as a one-dimensional dick, but i still loved him).

Anyway, RE: that murtagh guy and nasuada. He doesn't want the Evil King to kill her, so he kidnaps her. And he's forced to torture her with hot irons, so she can subimit to the evil king. (who can enter her mind and do the same in a much cleaner way, but nevermind. It's cooler with hot irons, isn't it?) Anyway, she's strong willed and doesn't subimit. She attempt escape killing three men with a spoon. I'm not kidding. They both survive, but they don't get laid and he goes away with the wind.

And THIS was actually the best part of the book. Imagine that.

EDIT #1: And there's also a scene where Eragon is forced to fight his brother so the Evil King can watch and laugh. It's like that

smallville episode, just worse and without the homoerotic fanservice.

EDIT#2: also, the book ends with eragon (who, BTW, cries all the time) who leaves the country forevah, bringing all the (future) dragonriders with him, far away. I remember that, back in book 1, the only purpose of the dragonriders was to LIVE in that freakin country and maintain the peace. Huge.Plot.Hole.

Wait, did you just say Independence Day had good writing?

Compared to Eragon, it does. Which doesn't mean it's good compared to most other things. :P

But say you were stuck on an empty island with only two movies: Eragon and Independence Day, which one would you choose??

It was fun 15 years ago...(Independance Day, not Eragon, obviously)

I find it quite ironic that right now, in "view new content" this thread is right above one called: Poisons that cause insanity. Good combination.

I'll be waiting for various sporkings of the final book to crop up on the net.

I've been reading the Dresden Files over the last week or so, for the first time. When I came to buy Ghost Story on my Nook, I saw the latest Paolini book on the list, near the top. I briefly considered buying it instead, just to see how bad he could get.

I'm glad my money went to Ghost Story, after reading the brief summary. Really, really glad.

Compared to Eragon, it does. Which doesn't mean it's good compared to most other things. :P

But say you were stuck on an empty island with only two movies: Eragon and Independence Day, which one would you choose??

I'm saying it's worse than Independence Day. Think about that before you think to buy it :D

Random House (through Publishers Weekly) is reporting that Inheritance has sold more copies in its first day than any other book in 2011. 489,500 copies were sold (all formats).

Seeing that my only experience with Eragon is the movie and the associated threads around here, color me shocked. Wow.

ETA: link added

Yeah, thank you for reminding me his name, and thank god for the search function. I wasn't able to read the whole book (it was painful), so i only read the parts i disliked the less - and i was rooting for the evil king. No need to say it - he died. What a waste of a potential interesting character (CP wrote him as a one-dimensional dick, but i still loved him).

Anyway, RE:that murtagh guy and nasuada. He doesn't want the Evil King to kill her, so he kidnaps her. And he's forced to torture her with hot irons, so she can subimit to the evil king. (who can enter her mind and do the same in a much cleaner way, but nevermind. It's cooler with hot irons, isn't it?) Anyway, she's strong willed and doesn't subimit. She attempt escape killing three men with a spoon. I'm not kidding. They both survive, but they don't get laid and he goes away with the wind.

And THIS was actually the best part of the book. Imagine that.

Urghhh, those two were the best characters. So much potential that it makes my heart ache :bang: . Seriously, it is a good premise, CP should have followed it through and forget about Arya, Sapphira etc. But yeah, I searched for the ending of the book. It is worse than what I imagined and I didn't think it were possible.

Random House (through Publishers Weekly) is reporting that Inheritance has sold more copies in its first day than any other book in 2011. 489,500 copies were sold (all formats).

Seeing that my only experience with Eragon is the movie and the associated threads around here, color me shocked. Wow.

ETA: link added

This means it sold more than ADWD did on its first day.

This makes me sad. Especially cause of all the stuff I hear about Eragon and its sequels.

Archived