OT - Do you use bookmarks?

blasted_saber

I'll dog-ear if I have to. So there!

But if there is anything to hand that can feasibly be used to mark the page I'll do that instead. If I start a new book on the train to work I often end up using a strip of paper torn from an abandoned newspaper. If I'm at home it'll likely be used tickets or cards of some kind.

Do I use bookmarks? Yes, no and no.

Yes: When I'm reading in between doing other things {like, riding the bus, working or walking...} it's easier to just use a piece of paper to keep my place when I have to keep one eye on my "surroundings".

No: When I first read a book, I prefer to do it in one pass.

No: All other situations. I just make a note of the title and page number.

Dogeared page method? Gah, that's almost as bad as writing in books. If books were meant to be written in then all the pages would be blank.

Placing a book face down and open? Kill the poor thing already and put it out of its misery, that's what I say.

[quote name='hadaad' post='1753375' date='Apr 13 2009, 12.23']Sometimes, I use something - a receipt, a ticket-stub, something like that, but generally, I'll just remember whereabouts in the book I am, flip there and start reading. If it feels familiar, I'll go forward a bit, repeat that until I get somewhere unfamiliar and flip back until I remember where I was.[/quote]

This is me exactly. And no, I never, ever, ever dog-ear books. Even thinking about it makes me die inside just a little.

Yep, I bookmark!

I dont even use them cowboy bookmarks like reciepts or business cards, I pay cold hard cash fer mine.

I had one with the Ying Yang sign fer my read of WOT. It lasted a couple of months 'til the sign wore off from my slidin' it around the pages.

I bought one from the Barnes and Noble. It had some sayin' in Chinese on it, not sure what it was, it was made of wood. I used it for three years! It drove me batty when it would fall out all the time. My kids got hold of it and *poof* gone.

I bought another one about a month ago to replace it; and this one has a Chinese character and says WISDOM in English (I hope they both match but I can't really tell.) This one is black suede with red letterin'. I like it alot, the suede keeps the bookmark in place; but is still easy enough to move while readin' the text.

I used to dog ear when I was young, but now I buy my own books. I hope ta keep 'em forever to pass on to my young 'ens.

I go back and forth. If I have something convenient to use, I'll stick it in there and use it for a few weeks/months. If I don't have anything, I can generally remember pretty well where I was.

I never dogear.

I'm a dog-earer I'm afraid, they're my books and all the turned down pages shows that I've used them for their purpose. Makes them feel more comfortable, used, read. The only books I don't dog-ear are the silly expensive collectors copies of some books I was silly enough to buy, which I haven't even read (on account of owning regular versions). THAT kind of stuff is what makes a part of me die inside, leaving books unread, leaving toys in their boxes never used, played with, broken just a little bit, etc.

-Poobs

Dog-earing is just a cruel thing to do to book.

I have a nice collection of bookmarks. I rotate them around. Right now I'm using the one with a Balrog/Gandalf scene on the Bridge of Kazad-Dum. I have to take off the tassels, otherwise my cats will get to them and rip it off!

[quote name='Lucivar SaDiablo' post='1753611' date='Apr 13 2009, 14.23']I dont even use them cowboy bookmarks like reciepts or business cards, I pay cold hard cash fer mine.[/quote]
I use cold hard cash for mine. If it is a quick read I'll use a buck but I keep three $2 bills I use for long term reading. I'm not using any of them at the moment. I also have five Hillary Clinton $3 bills I found at a sleazy gag shop/pool hall in a deadmall. I couldn't resist.

yup, I usually use something--a real bookmark or just whatever I can stick in there. I read too much on subways and such to waste time hunting around for where I left off.
I also often use a book holder that has a built-in bookmark, especially for mmpb...like a bookmate (www.bookmatesplus.com)

I use scraps of paper, receipts, biz cards...I even used an UNOPENED Backyardagins band-aid once. Whatever is handy and thin enough not to cause the binding to get wonky.

I never put the book face down, or dog-ear. NEVER EVER EVER!

[quote name='MaesterLuwin' post='1753319' date='Apr 13 2009, 09.42']Not real bookmarks. But I've found that one of the [b]informational cards from a deck of cards[/b] works pretty well as a bookmark. Or the Joker. [b]Business cards[/b] also work; I usually pick up a handful whenever I see them at restaurants or stores, to use for such a purpose.[/quote]

These are the two things that I usually use. I like them because they're small, and can easily be turned sideways to marks paragraphs, as I'll often stop mid-page (and every once in awhile mid-paragraph).

I used to dogear, but stopped in junior high, when I started buying my own books. I don't think there's anything wrong with dogearring, as long as it is [i]your[/i] book (same with breaking the spine, writing in them, etc.).

This should probably be another thread, but do any of you use booklights? Back when the Itty Bitty Booklight first came out, I was too poor to get one. Now that I can afford one and there are many varieties, I've owned one or two different kinds and been terribly disappointed by them, so much so that I fear wasting money on any more. And the problem is, you can't see how well they work until you take them home and use them... in the dark.

I really like the [i]idea [/i]behind booklights (I often want to read in bed when my wife is sleeping), but the design of most of them seem to suck. Either they're too big and bulky for MM paperbacks (what I mostly read) or the light doesn't spread all the way down/across an entire page. I thought that with the advent of new LED tech, we'd see better booklights out there, but I can't seem to find any that seem good just from their pictures.

Any good recommendations?

[quote name='nazfyratu' post='1753851' date='Apr 13 2009, 17.37']This should probably be another thread, but do any of you use booklights? Back when the Itty Bitty Booklight first came out, I was too poor to get one. Now that I can afford one and there are many varieties, I've owned one or two different kinds and been terribly disappointed by them, so much so that I fear wasting money on any more. And the problem is, you can't see how well they work until you take them home and use them... in the dark.

I really like the [i]idea [/i]behind booklights (I often want to read in bed when my wife is sleeping), but the design of most of them seem to suck. Either they're too big and bulky for MM paperbacks (what I mostly read) or the light doesn't spread all the way down/across an entire page. I thought that with the advent of new LED tech, we'd see better booklights out there, but I can't seem to find any that seem good just from their pictures.

Any good recommendations?[/quote]

I use a beside lamp and it works great. My wife may also be able to sleep through a hurricane at a disco. Seriously there are many snake lamps and other types of lamps that give off excellent directed light so one could sleep and one could read.

Archived