OT - Do you use bookmarks?

blasted_saber

[quote name='mormont' post='1754330' date='Apr 14 2009, 08.24']Seriously, better than dog-earing. At least that page is (presumably) redundant - you can tear the whole page to pieces without binning the book. :)[/quote]

One of the reasons I like used bookstores is that i like to find gnarley old paperbacks, all beat to hell. I have this awesome copy of the hobbit, the one with my [url="http://www.wicknet.org/library/middle/hobbit.gif"]favorite cover[/url], that I got in a used bookstore - it looks like its been through a tornado, with all the corners frayed, yellowed, and super soft to the touch. It has that great dusty old book smell that makes you want to sneeze. And it has been dog-eared a million times. Why would I chuck it in the bin? I love my books to feel 'lived in.' Even if they start losing parts like they have leprosy, I would never throw them away!

I used to just dog-ear books or put them face down (or use hardcovers' dust jacket flaps) except for library books, but then I was threatened with ritual slaughter by my best friend if he ever saw me doing that again even when it was my book rather than his, so I started trying to use bookmarks. I lose actual [i]bookmarks [/i]all the time so normally it's plane tickets, till receipts, tarot cards, flyers and other random bits of paper.

Still dog-ear my manuscripts when I'm on structural edits rather than line edits.

[quote name='Isis' post='1754322' date='Apr 14 2009, 15.08']Heh. Separated at birth. :)[/quote]

:)

You and LJBG should post [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=35727"]in this thread[/url]. I'm happy to see there are more of us than the couple of people who came forward and admitted they sometimes love their books to bits.

(shameless pimping of my own thread, I know. :P)

[quote name='LugaJetBoyGirl' post='1754367' date='Apr 14 2009, 14.14']Why would I chuck it in the bin? I love my books to feel 'lived in.' Even if they start losing parts like they have leprosy, I would never throw them away![/quote]

Well, here I must admit that I never throw mine away either, even the ones that have come to bits completely. But still. :P

I don't use "real" bookmarks, but for the books I'm reading ATM (Count of Monte Cristo and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell), I used a grocery store receipt and a business card, respectively, and a "special offer" voucher I got along with CoMC for easy access to the footnotes section in the back. I usually use the receipt for the book, but somehow I lost these this time.

I don't dogear books I like, but I did use to dogear textbooks and stuff as a student, but then to mark stuff I felt I needed to re-read or something, if there were no post-its or similar around.

[quote name='Poobah' post='1754443' date='Apr 14 2009, 10.37']I still can't understand how [b]turning down the corners of pages[/b] equates with destroying a book or bringing it to a point where it's binnable.[/quote]

Yeah, you're not the only one who doesn't understand that. The worst it could do is obscure a page number, if the page number is at the top of the page.

[quote name='koudoulis' post='1753712' date='Apr 13 2009, 23.24']i cant even find my book...[/quote]

[quote name='koudoulis' post='1754511' date='Apr 14 2009, 18.33']i found my book, it has a bookmark in it after all..[/quote]

:lmao:

The funniest thing is, I was just telling dalThor about your earlier post half an hour ago...

[quote name='mashiara' post='1754439' date='Apr 14 2009, 15.33']You and LJBG should post [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=35727"]in this thread[/url]. I'm happy to see there are more of us than the couple of people who came forward and admitted they sometimes love their books to bits.[/quote]Oh yes, that was one of those threads I looked at briefly and then intended to come back to later on....and then (possibly) forgot about.

[quote name='mashiara' post='1754524' date='Apr 14 2009, 11.44']:lmao:

The funniest thing is, I was just telling dalThor about your earlier post half an hour ago...[/quote]

:D
its the one of the perks of cleaning the house before you leave for the holidays :cheers:

I've always bookmarked. I actually don't think I've ever read a book without one. My bookmarks of choice are usually just index cards or something of similar size/shape. Last year I finally had to throw out the one I'd be using. It was a subscription card from PC Gamer magazine.

A mag I hadn't read since 1997.

I hadn't been using it that long, but long enough that it was falling apart and almost completely black from text ink friction.

I mostly use any scrap of paper that's around like a receipts or something like that, I cannot dogear a book just feels wrong. I have been remembering where I stop recently because my daughter loves to pull my bookmarks out of my books.

I'm not all that worried or bothered what people do with their own books. But anyone who tries to dogear mine and create frayed corners of the pages which bloats the binding in the long term can expect me to come after them with my dogs and let several large German Shepherds give new meaning to the word "dog earred". I hated it when I took out a library book and found someone couldn't be bothered to insert a slip of paper. Since it doesn't really affect me that people find this so hard to do for their own books, I have no problem if they want to lower the lifespan of their books. Then again, I'm a hoarder of books. Have trouble letting even the most horribly written ones out of my hands once I get a hold of them.

I most definitely use bookmarks. I have tons from all the various bookstores and publishers over the last few years. Seemed shiny witty bookmarks were all the rage (and to some extent still are) in the internet book shopping world. I don't know how many variations of the Amazon freebies I have (not to mention the shelf of free travel mugs). Problem is I now have what amounts to a collection of bookmarks for my collection of books. I actually have ones I like set aside. And the bookmarks given as gifts? The handcrafted wood and metal and paper ones? I now never use. And I do make sure to use the current bookmark until it is about as sad as a piece of once laminated logo-printed cardboard rectangle can get.

I have a postcard from 1997 from my parents where it has one of those name definitions on it. It has been my bookmark ever since. My faith in London commuters was restored 6 months ago when a guy tapped me on the shoulder and gave me back my bookmark which I had haplessly dropped. Now I am more careful.

On a slighly different note my friend, works in A.I. and does a bit of cognitive science too, told me that the majority of people automatically go back to the exact place where they finished reading. Not a big deal if you stop at the top of the page/chapter but it turns out that you also go to the correct place if you stop mid-page. Most of the time we track back uneccessarily as we want to be sure, but I have tried it a few times on the tube (stations aren't in time with my page count) and it's definitely true. So, I guess I could read without a bookmark but, for me, a bookmark is part of the fun.

The question is whether anyone folds the corner of pages over? For me that is sacrilege - even in library books :)

I don't use a bookmark unless it's a book I've borrowed and it's in a pristine state - otherwise I turn down the edge of the page in a time honoured tradition. Seriously, it's paper dudes.

[i]It damages the book unnecessarily. A book you could have read over and over becomes binnable very quickly if you dog-ear. And it offends my soul to bin a book under any circumstances, particularly easily avoidable ones.[/i]

I dog-ear and I've got books from when I was 8 or 9 knocking around the place and they can still be read. As Poobah said: what books are you reading - ones made of tissue paper?

Dog-earing is SRS BSNS on the intarweb!

N

For the 30+ years I have been reading seriously I have for the most part "dog eared" my pages when I leave off reading. Now that I am older I do try to use a book mark more, especially since I am spending more on my books (mostly hard covers) but will still bend a page upon occasion. Otherwise I take very good care of my books. In the end though I am not a collector, but more of an accumulator. I realize that dog eared pages will lessen the value of the books to others, but I did not buy or read them for anyone else....I bought and read them for me, and to me they still retain all of their original value and more. :read:

Archived