You know what grinds my gears?

Antipodea representin'

I've heard and said disoriented and disorientated all my life and no one has given a shit which was used.

Gripes:

people who reply to text messages with 'k' or other affirmations when agreement was already established.

ROBOCALLS!

people who insist association football may only be called 'soccer'

people who insist assoiciation football may only be called 'football'

Aus specific:

AFL

NSW State Govt - expect a big rant in the 'Aussies' thread soon, Nathan!

The stupidly sensationalist turn ABC News has taken - seriously, tonight our newsreader declared 'The Battle of Bangkok is over but no one is declaring peace in our time' WTF?! pointless WW2 references why?!

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1754351' date='Apr 14 2009, 07.58']Because we're not afraid of words with more than two syllables?

Things that annoy me:

1. Rude people[/quote]

I agree. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1754340' date='Apr 14 2009, 08.46']And this thread is a symptom of me drinking alone last night. I should have just posted in the drinking alone thread.[/quote]

You should drink alone more often. The OP cracked me up. Agreed with a lot of it.

[quote name='Vestrit' post='1754344' date='Apr 14 2009, 08.49']and to things I dislike, when a group of people sit around and all agree that something needs to get done but never actually get any further along the road to doing it or even agree who should do it. And then you get all annoyed and take it upon yourself to do it, and everything ends up getting dumped on you. Been having quite a bit of that lately[/quote]

Diss.

Even worse, when you take the initiative to get it done, and people have the nerve to criticize how you're going about doing it. When you're the [i]only[/i] reason anything is getting done to begin with. No one in the group was willing to get their hands dirty. If they had a set idea of how they wanted it done, they should've taken the initiative and gotten it done. Lead, follow or get out of the way, y'know? Situations like these make me want to go all Col. Jessep on lazy critics: [i]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way." [/i]

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1754390' date='Apr 14 2009, 08.43']Even worse, when you take the initiative to get it done, and people have the nerve to criticize how you're going about doing it. When you're the [i]only[/i] reason anything is getting done to begin with. No one in the group was willing to get their hands dirty. If they had a set idea of how they wanted it done, they should've taken the initiative and gotten it done. Lead, follow or get out of the way, y'know? Situations like these make me want to go all Col. Jessep on lazy critics: [i]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way." [/i][/quote]

Very much agreed.

And to add to it, people who think they know how to do something and insist upon having it their way, despite everyone on the project saying it's a bad idea. But they still insist upon it anyways.

Also, people who simply don't fucking listen. I feel like carrying a tape recorder around sometimes just so I can record our arguments and all the reasons he's wrong and/or the answers (and the explanations about the answers) to his questions, just so the next time it comes up I can set the recorder down, hit play, and then walk away to go and actually do some work. Because having the exact same discussion three times, with the exact same outcome, is just idiotic.

I love a good rage thread... and there has been plenty to go around lately. I feel like for the past 6 weeks or so I have done nothing except argue with people: the bar that tried to rip me off, my dentist, my bank, the asshole that hit my truck, my credit card company, DC parking enforcement, and a two seperate taxi drivers, just to name a few. I'm a laid back guy, I'm tired of fighting. Need a vacation or something. So at this point it would really grind my gears for one more thing to happen that I have to yell at somebody.

I've probably posted this before, but one of my biggest annoyances are cyclists. I realize people have a legitimate right to ride thier bikes, and that this is me being pretty selfish about it, but srsly guys.. get the hell out of my way. It seems like every day the tour de France convenes somewhere in Maryland and decides to descend on the District of Columbia like a swarm of 'just under the speed limit' locusts. Most of the back streets here are pretty narrow, when Lance Armostrong is taking up the entire lane it is impossible for me to get around him, and cyclists do this [i]all the time[/i].

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1754390' date='Apr 14 2009, 14.43']Even worse, when you take the initiative to get it done, and people have the nerve to criticize how you're going about doing it. When you're the [i]only[/i] reason anything is getting done to begin with.[/quote]

Absolutely!

Had quite a bit of that lately too.

Also been having the people doing the 'why didn't you think of planning for Outcome A?' when if they looked at what you were doing, they'd see that it's based entirely on the fact that you [i]are[/i] clearly planning for 'Outcome A'.

A classic example: Just finished selection for our sports squads recently. Had a player complain that he's been moved into a senior age-group team along with a bunch of other, older players and that we've selected a bunch of younger, inexperienced players into our open age teams instead of him and his chums.

He follows this up in the very next paragraph in his email by saying that we obviously aren't thinking strategically because we should be planning for the future in terms of blooding young players and starting to build stronger senior age group sides.

I was sitting there thinking: 'OK, so he not only hasn't looked at what we've done, but he clearly doesn't even read his own emails before he sends them...'

Oh, just got reminded of something else that irks the hell out of me.

That alliterative adjective-name crap. Like "Depressing Debbie" or "Pessimistic Patrick" or "Cheerful Cathy." Every time I hear someone use it, I instantly start ignoring everything they say, almost as a knee-jerk reaction. It's condescending, like you're trying to talk to some bratty 4 year old and you're referencing a character in one of his bedtime stories. Or at least that's how I see it, and I'd love to have some quality time with whatever bastard is responsible for the whole fad.

[quote]grinds my gears[/quote]

Lately what's been irritating me more and more is girls who call me "sweetie" who I am not dating. It's so totally condescending. My pat response now to a woman who calls me that is the alternating use of "baby, honey, sugar."

similarly, guys who call me "boss," "chief," or worst of all, "big guy." such guys deserve a good slap.

[quote name='Simon of Steele' post='1754136' date='Apr 14 2009, 00.47']1. Old people who say "diss". You know, older than 30. I don't think we should go around saying "diss". Like that middle aged "PHD" on Bill O'Reilly who must be called "Doctor." When she says someone got "dissed" I my gears are ground.[/quote]

1. It's Dis. Not Diss.

2. This is a term from early hip hop. Early 80's. The only people who have been around long enough to use it is people in their 30's.

3. I'm 33, and you're an ignorant jackhole. I just dissed you. Deal with it.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1754572' date='Apr 14 2009, 12.28']similarly, guys who call me "boss," "chief," or worst of all, "big guy." such guys deserve a good slap.[/quote]

I do that to disrespect guys all the time without being rude. I loves it.

My biggest annoyance is my coworker. I share an office with him and he is the king of helicopter parents. His wife and kids are apparently useless. I think he has a 12 year old and a 19 year old and they call one another constantly so that he can make sure that they remember to change for baseball practice or take care of the terrible problem that another dog got into their yard and started sniffing their dog. He has no volume control either.

I realize that I have a pretty good life on a day to day basis when this is my biggest annoyance. Of course my parents grind my gears too, but that's a real problem that I'm trying to deal with in a more constructive way than venting on a message board.

Although that does remind me, I absolutely hate when people (my mother) send me political or religious forwards, especially when they're trying to convince people that Bush left an absolutely freaking awesome legacy that the Demoncrats are now trying to suppress. In fairness, I consider all forwards to be worthless propaganda no matter which "side" they're from, although I've never gotten any liberal forwards.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1754572' date='Apr 14 2009, 11.28']Lately what's been irritating me more and more is girls who call me "sweetie" who I am not dating. It's so totally condescending. My pat response now to a woman who calls me that is the alternating use of "baby, honey, sugar."[/quote]
Okay, sweetie, I'll make a note of that. :P

(I'm actually having a good day - it is gorgeous and springy outside, the snow is melting at last, there are green things in the garden - so my only contribution here can be to grind someone else's gears. ;))

[quote name='Eponine' post='1754580' date='Apr 14 2009, 11.37']Although that does remind me, I absolutely hate when people (my mother) send me political or religious forwards, especially when they're trying to convince people that Bush left an absolutely freaking awesome legacy that the Demoncrats are now trying to suppress. In fairness, I consider all forwards to be worthless propaganda no matter which "side" they're from, although I've never gotten any liberal forwards.[/quote]

Same, but replace it with "any forwarded email". Political, religious, jokes, whatever, I don't care. Stop sending me that crap. I've actually not updated friends before on email address changes specifically because all they would send me would be that crap.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1754701' date='Apr 14 2009, 11.22']Okay, sweetie, I'll make a note of that. :P[/quote]

you can grind my gears anytime you want honey, so long as you give me a Manitoba Mudslide afterwards.

[quote name='mormont' post='1754268' date='Apr 14 2009, 06.07']I called that number: doesn't mean I have any clue who picked up the 'phone, does it? If you call my office, it could be any one of a number of people. ;)[/quote]
Then you should ask if the person you were calling for is available, not arrogantly demand to know who picked up.

What grind my gears this week: people who think that I'm required to hold a door for them, despite that they are halfway down the hallway. For some reason they believe that it's my task to stand there for a minute and a half while their fat-ass shambles up, like I've got nothing better to do.

And for that matter, people who hold doors for me while I'm halfway down the hallway. Now I've got to walk faster, just so I don't feel like a dick for leaving them to stand there for too long.

Or people who feel the need to appoligize when they let a door go just before you've come around the corner. I know you didn't see me, and I don't care; I can open the damn thing myself.

Pretty much anything that has to with doors pisses me off.

And romance novels taking over the Science Fiction/Fantasy section of the book store. I can't find anything worth reading because the shelves are covered with vampire smut.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1754724' date='Apr 14 2009, 12.41']Then you should ask if the person you were calling for is available, not arrogantly demand to know who picked up.[/quote]

I've been guilty of "Who's this?" but I hate doing it. The situation would be when you're calling extended family or family friends long distance and it is likely that you would need to make small talk with multiple members of the household, and if you just asked for one person, the person who picked up might feel disrespected (aka dissed). Just last night, I had to call a household to offer condolences on a death. I was sure the house was crawling with people I probably knew, and I didn't know immediately from the voice which bereaved son I was speaking with. I didn't ask "who's this", but I just kept talking until it became clear who it was, which felt equally awkward.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1754787' date='Apr 14 2009, 15.18']Yes. I'm all for people getting exercise and not burning fumes. Just please show some effort to stay out of the middle of the road. I don't understand why they feel the need to go right down the middle like they are an automobile.[/quote]
Such cyclists are eventually corrected by the awesome and cosmic power of Darwin's Law (aka, the front bumper of my Truck).

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1754724' date='Apr 14 2009, 20.41']What grind my gears this week: people who think that I'm required to hold a door for them, despite that they are halfway down the hallway. For some reason they believe that it's my task to stand there for a minute and a half while their fat-ass shambles up, like I've got nothing better to do.[/quote]
Six-seven feet, give or take, is what I go by. If they're not within that distance of the door when I walk through it, fuck 'em, open your own doors. Special consideration is given in case of baby stroller, pregnancy, disability or age, but that rarely buys you more than a couple of feet at best. And even so I will be judging how fast they're moving.

I also never change my pace if someone holds a door open for me. It's not my fault they can't use their brain and realise that courtesy doesn't extend more than six feet away from your person.

My big gear-grinder is in-the-way-people. You know the kind? Trolleys placed [i]across[/i] the aisle at the market, cutting diagonally across a parking lot on foot to keep yourself in the way for the longest possible time, ride the brakes and go 5-10mph below the speed limit, getting to the cash register and only then start to locate your wallet (and preferably those coupons hidden at the bottom of your purse), pressing the button at a crosswalk and walking before the light turns meaning you just held up traffic for no fucking reason at all, stopping on the sidewalk to talk or just look at the window displays and not trying to get out of the way for the rest of us who are still walking. Seriously. Fuck. You. People.

We haven't ripped on bicyclists for a long time!

I don't hate the single riders, I hate the dudes that frequent the extremly busy roads I take to and from work. There is usually 10-15 wannabe Lance Armstrongs in a huge column. I don't understand why they would want to bike on traffic-choked lanes, when we have plenty of country roads and trails for them to bike on undisturbed, very close to the areas they bike in.

When I get behind, it hate trying to squeeze by, I'm worried I'll clip them or one of them will fall. And you can't veer into the left lane much because their is heavy traffic in that lane too. UGH!

Archived