Dragon sighting at Winterfell?!?

LordNedsHead

Or, the more logical - that it was not a literal dragon, just like swords are not literal iron claws and similar analogies wargs make when in wolf mode.

So the kite circling far overhead at the beginning of SoS may not be a kite at all?

Sorry if this has already been said, but in ADWD, during a Theon chapter, wasn't it said that the walls that were warm were now cold? (I don't have my book to look up the exact quote, sorry!)

The dragon, who was keeping the walls warm, left, and now the walls and castle are cold! (Of course, this could also be due to the fact that there's no roof :lol: )

I've always had three theories about this.

1. Bran's just having a green dream through the wolf about some future event.

2. There really is a dragon under Winterfell.

3. All of the above.

There is way too many hints about there being more to Winterfell then just a big castle. Not saying for sure it's a dragon, but there is no doubt something very badass either in, or under those crypts.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a strong impression from the show on this matter. In one of the very few wolf dreams of Bran's that are shown there, he runs randomly around, and then looks up for and examines the comet for an extensive amount of time (strong stress was put on it). So I think this is our answer - the dragon is the comet.

I thought this too, but I'm just finishing a reread of ACOK, and the thing that sticks out to me about the comet is its mentioned fairly often in the first 25ish chapters, and then it's not anymore, unless it is here. But comets normally stay in the sky for a time, then they go away because their path is out of range of the planet they are being viewed from. Which given how much it is discussed in the first half of the story, it seems logical that it has moved on by the latter parts.

That's the main thing that makes me think it's something besides the comet.

• 1 month later...

On a recent re-read of AFfC, I came across this quote from Maester Aemon in Braavos (one of the Sam chapters, p545 in the paperback):

"I see them in my dreams, Sam. I see a red star bleeding in the sky. I still remember red. I see their shadows on the snow, hear the crack of leathern wings, feel their hot breath."

Sounds a bit like one of the Stark kids' wolf dreams... could Aemon have been having dragon dreams through the eyes of the Winterfell dragon? I haven't seen this discussed elsewhere.

It's an interesting theory, but an unlikely one.

There's just no history of dragonlore in the North. Not even oblique references. None of the stories about the last Long Winter include them. I don't think there were any dragons on the continent, not even wild ones, before the Targaryans brought them.

This gives me hope that when Dany (or someone else, but I hope it's Dany) arrives to fight the Others from dragonback, the Others are suddenly up against something they've never seen before, didn't plan for, and don't now how to deal with. I HOPE.

I honestly don't know why people would even want this to be true, it would cheapen the books IMO. Dragons suddenly appearing out of no where? No thanks.

Brad DID have a vision of a large winged creature rising from the smoke of Winterfell...but it was probably symbolism and not a literal dragon.

Brad DID have a vision of a large winged creature rising from the smoke of Winterfell...but it was probably symbolism and not a literal dragon.

I know, i never believed it was an actual dragon, my point was more....why would people even want that? it would cheapen the plot by adding random dragons.

I know, i never believed it was an actual dragon, my point was more....why would people even want that? it would cheapen the plot by adding random dragons.

That's absolutely true as well. Dragon beneath WF, dragon beneath the Wall, dragon in Bran's vision... no, just no.

I like a dragon being born from Summerhall (Rhaegar) much more.

Also, it will kill the exclusivity of Dany's dragons, which is a major plot point.

Archived