Lost S5, Part IV, Episode 13, Scene 108

Shryke

Monaghan is going to be in another ABC hour-long, that's why he's in the promo. It's not Lost, though, according to some of the entertainment journalists. The reference to his having been dead probably is a jokey little reference to Lost, however.

I don't think setting off the bomb changed anything. In fact, I think it is a part of the normal time stream and would explain the pregnancy problems on the island (radiation, hello?) and how the Dharma initaitive managed to build a hatch over the electromagnetic inteferance (the explosion blocked it or whatnot).

Has anyone thought that maybe detonating the bomb was what released smokey? I can only think of one supposedly dead person reappearing mysteriously in 1970's Lost-ville (Ben's mom), but aside from that, Smokey has been relatively quiet. Also, when the chain was getting pulled down into the hole, it sounded exactly like when Smokey moves around.

I don't know, just a weird idea I had when watching the finale.

I also seriously hope that the Losties didn't manage to change anything and everything is going exactly as it has before.

I'm still watching Lost with a friend, we're at Season 4 now. I just saw episode 5, "The Constant", the one where Desmond and Sayyid travel to the freighter in the helicopter and Desmond goes time travelling and all that. But it's giving me serious headaches, because there's some things I don't get:

- According to Lost, you can't change the future. I suppose this also means you can't change the past

- Desmond time travels back to 1997 (i think it was, or 1999? doesn't really matter..) or rather, his 1997 consciousness travels forward to 2004. (In 2004 he doesnt know where he is)

- When Desmond is on the island, how can he not know that he time travelled before he got into that heli , seeing as it already happened to him in 1997? Shouldnt he, while on the island, still remember that he visited Daniel in Oxford and all that?

- Also the season 3 Desmond superlong flashback - did he actually time travel there? Did he change anything? Or was that supposed to happen anyway?

If someone could explain this to me, that would be great. Thanks!

Has anyone thought that maybe detonating the bomb was what released smokey? I can only think of one supposedly dead person reappearing mysteriously in 1970's Lost-ville (Ben's mom), but aside from that, Smokey has been relatively quiet. Also, when the chain was getting pulled down into the hole, it sounded exactly like when Smokey moves around.

I want to say you're absolutely wrong, but I'm thinking back over the past episodes and can't find exact fault with your idea. We know that in the future the sonic fence is a Smokey-deterrent, but unless I'm mistaken, it hasn't been established that the fence was being used for that purpose back in the '70s.

I don't think Smokey will rise from the bombsite, his point of origin likely being closer to the temple (remember the air ducts within the temple when Ben was judged) but good thinking nonetheless.

- According to Lost, you can't change the future. I suppose this also means you can't change the past

- Desmond time travels back to 1997 (i think it was, or 1999? doesn't really matter..) or rather, his 1997 consciousness travels forward to 2004. (In 2004 he doesnt know where he is)

- When Desmond is on the island, how can he not know that he time travelled before he got into that heli , seeing as it already happened to him in 1997? Shouldnt he, while on the island, still remember that he visited Daniel in Oxford and all that?

- Also the season 3 Desmond superlong flashback - did he actually time travel there? Did he change anything? Or was that supposed to happen anyway?

If someone could explain this to me, that would be great. Thanks!

Note: This is all random blah, there's nothing necessarily correct about this, just my interpretation.

A lot of the time travel is sketchy information. Desmond appears to be an anomaly, someone who has the power to... involve himself in the past and present. Why doesn't he remember? There's no exact explanation but think of yourself sitting outside of time, looking in at the entire thing. For brevity's sake, the timeline begins in the 90's and ends in 2004. As an outsider looking in, you can see the 90's change with Desmond's interactions, you can also see the 2004 point in time shift a bit, changing itself to adapt to the 90's alteration. What you see is instantaneous. For those within time, it isn't so obvious.

Because the altered event in the 90's didn't originally exist, Desmond had no memory of it. With the alteration, the memory of a significant event should exist, and so it does in the form of a 'oh my god, I remember!' type thing. Time is linear to those bound by its constraints.

Because you're looking in from the outside, you can see reality shift and accommodate the change. Because Desmond exists to some degree outside of the natural (supposed) laws of Time, he's not as quick to adapt to changes.

-End blah.-

I don't think setting off the bomb changed anything. In fact, I think it is a part of the normal time stream and would explain the pregnancy problems on the island (radiation, hello?) and how the Dharma initaitive managed to build a hatch over the electromagnetic inteferance (the explosion blocked it or whatnot).

I for one would appreciate the irony of Juliet, who was brought to the island in order to solve the pregnancy problems, being the person to cause those very same problems.

Also explains how Ben got a tumor (that is, if it weren't for the island's "miraculous" powers, you'd think there'd be a lot of "Others" with tumors, leukemia, etc.).

Separately, crackpot idea on the Latin. It occurred to me that the temple itself (hieroglyphics aside), and the Jacob/"Esau" conflict are somewhat Mithraic (if you suscribe to the notion that Mithraism proceeded from Zoroastrian beliefs encountered by Roman soldiers in Persia). The Romans were pretty catholic in their religious tates. Prior to the adoption of Christianity, there was a pretty well-established cult of Isis and Osiris. What if the portal in the Tunisian desert has always been there and works the other direction as well? The Romans were crawling all over Northern Africa for centuries.

If the bomb released smoky, why would the Dharma initiative made the sonic fence? It doesn't keep the others out, it doesn't stop people...so what would it stop?

If the bomb released smoky, why would the Dharma initiative made the sonic fence? It doesn't keep the others out, it doesn't stop people...so what would it stop?

It does stop people, though. It's been used at least twice as a way to knock out Losties, though the one lady using earplugs to get through it sort of wussies the fence up a bit. But if turned to high frequency, it would kill any person who walks through unawares. Except Alpert, for various mysterious reasons.

I do think Smokey was around before the bomb, and the fence was made primarily to keep it out.

I want to say you're absolutely wrong, but I'm thinking back over the past episodes and can't find exact fault with your idea. We know that in the future the sonic fence is a Smokey-deterrent, but unless I'm mistaken, it hasn't been established that the fence was being used for that purpose back in the '70s.

It is crackpot, I know, but interesting that if Smokey were hanging around on the island, you'd think the Dharma folk might mention some sinister black cloud that can take the forms of various dead people, but all they seemed to be worried about is 'the hostiles.'

Then again, that's Lost for yah.

Note: This is all random blah, there's nothing necessarily correct about this, just my interpretation.

Because you're looking in from the outside, you can see reality shift and accommodate the change. Because Desmond exists to some degree outside of the natural (supposed) laws of Time, he's not as quick to adapt to changes.

-End blah.-

It's not bad blah though. Try it this way: Continuous time traval occurs because people are forced to stay in one dimensional plane, therefore "whatever happened, happened". The Oceanic people shifted with their bodies but what if Desmond's mind shifted into a Desmond of another dimension and time which allowed him to both shift the past and the future? If you relate it to an equation, he's not a Variable or a Constant but rather the equal sign which is the link between the question and the answer {Damn it, I think I've seen too much Haruhi; I'm starting to sound like Koizumi}.

In short, he's not the Variable but he can control it.

Potentially big-ish spoiler:

SPOILER: Lost Season 6
Jack, Sawyer and co. will still be separated from the rest of the team in 2007 for the first third of the season. It looks like people are taking that to mean the separate stories in DHARMAville and on the Island in 2007 will continue to be separate, and the Incident will not have thrown the 1977 crew back to the future. If true, I find this surprising.

Another reading of Fox's comments is that their actions in 1977 will have created a branching separate timeline which will re-integrate with the old one. How the hell that works on-screen, I don't know.

Fox goes on to say that there will be a complete cessation of all flashbacks at the moment the DHARMA crew rejoin the present-day crew, and the latter part of the season will see Jack and Locke butting heads a lot. Whether that is FakeLocke or somehow RealLocke is unclear.

Archived