Help me lose (or gain) weight

Bellis

What is it that I'm not getting enough of in my diet?

Calories.

If you want to put on weight, eat more food.

If you want to put on muscle, eat more food and lift heavy weights.

I suggest you read Body For Life by Bill Phillips.

To expound on what Stego's said, I just wanted to add my meals so far today. Keep in mind that this is a program specially designed for me to lose bodyfat. I will lose weight too, since I am so overweight, but losing fat is more important to me than the number on the scale. (I am lifting weights too, though, so this plan takes that into account. This was not designed for me to sit at work most of the time and then walk leisurely to work and back, which is what I was doing.)

7am: 3 scrambled (medium) eggs, plus 160g broccoli

9am: 1/4 banana (roughly 30g; delayed but within 3-hr window of end of workout)

10am: 150g sugar snap peas + 120g sliced roast turkey

Over the course of the morning, I've drunk 750ml of water.

I felt sort of ill when I finished my "morning snack" because I was rushing for a meeting, but it's now roughly 45 minutes later and I'm hungry again. I will eat my lunch around 12, have another "snack" around 3, dinner at 6, and probably one more "dessert" meal between 8 and 9, before going to bed. My metabolism is so messed up that I have to do this in order to convince my body I'm really not going to starve it. I also have to meet certain protein and fat targets each day, and I will probably eat more nutritious calories today than I'm used to. And this is to be more *slender*. As someone trying to bulk, you'll probably have to eat *MORE*. (Well, relatively. I probably have a higher BMR than you do, so my general caloric needs are higher, even though I'm eating to lose and you're eating to gain.)

The biggest tip I can give anyone (since Stego's covered BfL) is to sign up for one of the food tracking websites, buy a food scale, and get a really good idea of what is actually going into your mouth. Not only the amount of calories, which might surprise you, but also how your foot is put together. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie, but at the same time, knowing your food's composition can be handy too. (See the debates whether your protein/fat/carb split should be 40/40/20, 40/20/40, 60/40/0, 30/20/50, or something different....)

I am offically down a full pant size. My pants are actually falling off me, and one pair I and put on and take off without unzipping or unbuttoning them.

I haven't been as good as I should be this week. PMS hit me much harder than usual (a full day in tears) and I have felt exhausted since shark week started. I am fighting through it though. I have eaten a few extra protein bars to fight off the tired feeling and the sugar cravings (I have the Atkins bars, so they don't actually have any sugar or HFCS)

I have learned to drink tea and coffee without sugar by eating something with the tea (instead of using articifial stuff). At first, it was often something sweet, but later, it was anything that contains carbohydrates (even complex carbohydrates). It doesn't have to be very much, just a few bites. Now, I can drink it pure. Well, except for the fact, that I can not stomach black coffee, litterally.

I'll be the first to admit its an acquired taste. Best drunk in tiny tiny cups very very late at night.

I might give eating something a try - Usually I drink tea to keep from eating something, but drinking it without fake-sugar would be nice.

Wow, congrats Lany! Must be nice to have a concrete reminder of why you are working this hard.

I gradually started drinking tea without sugar when I moved to Scotland. Seemed to be the thing to do. I usually take about 2 tablespoons of skim milk in a cup. I've really learned to enjoy it that way. And I never added sugar to green teas anyway, but then I actually like the taste of them. :P

That is AWESOME Lany! Truly great!

:grouphug: :kiss: and a little :leer:

Im at the top of my weight today... too much wine this week I think... But its just 4lbs above my low so not really that bad... water weight maybe.

Lany-watch those Atkins bars.. they tend to have a lot of fat in them... I've found that the So. Beach Snack bars are better for me...

I have learned to drink tea and coffee without sugar by eating something with the tea (instead of using articifial stuff). At first, it was often something sweet, but later, it was anything that contains carbohydrates (even complex carbohydrates). It doesn't have to be very much, just a few bites. Now, I can drink it pure. Well, except for the fact, that I can not stomach black coffee, litterally.

I find that to be a backward. I've always taken my tea plain, as I just don't think it needs anything added into it. But coffee is a different story. I can take black coffee, but only provided that I don't eat or drink anything else with it. It's really bitter for the first few sips, and then I'll get used to it. But getting a different flavor into my mouth throws it off, and then it tastes bad again. And even though on my current diet, there is no food scheduled for when I'm having my coffee, I still don't bother. A little Splenda makes it a lot more palatable.

Tomorrow morning I'll be getting on the scale for the first time in a long while. I'm a little nervous since I've basically been off program for the past 6 months. But my pants still fit, so it can't be too bad, right? I've been really good this past week and a half; except for a little badness over the weekend, I haven't gone off diet. And this week was back to the gym, and I started taking walks during my breaks at work, so I'm getting better exercise.

Time to find out how far I really have to go. Last time I checked it was (IIRC) 207 lbs (sadly up from my early November best of 201 lbs), so I'll be happy if I'm still there. Anything lower will be a great victory.

Wow, congrats Lany! Must be nice to have a concrete reminder of why you are working this hard.

Thanks. Biggest problem will be I only have 2 pairs of pants that are 18s :lol: But I really don't plan on buying more to I hit 14 :) (it will be light skirt weather soon, and most of mine have elastic waistbands, so they will work until fall)

That is AWESOME Lany! Truly great!

:grouphug: :kiss: and a little :leer:

Im at the top of my weight today... too much wine this week I think... But its just 4lbs above my low so not really that bad... water weight maybe.

Lany-watch those Atkins bars.. they tend to have a lot of fat in them... I've found that the So. Beach Snack bars are better for me...

I have tried several. At first I would buy any of the so called "diet" bars, but now I am looking for those without sugar or HFCS and under 150 calories.

If the SB ones compare, but with less fat, then I'll switch to them. The Body for Life ones were huge and had way too many calories.

Biggest problem will be I only have 2 pairs of pants that are 18s But I really don't plan on buying more to I hit 14 (it will be light skirt weather soon, and most of mine have elastic waistbands, so they will work until fall)

I totally know what you mean. I currently have one pair of jeans, one pair of dress trousers, and a mixture of dress and casual skirts. I did a full closet cleaning, throwing out anything that was too big, too small, hadn't been worn in a year, wasn't attractive, etc. My wardrobe is more spartan than ever, but weirdly inspiring.

I totally know what you mean. I currently have one pair of jeans, one pair of dress trousers, and a mixture of dress and casual skirts. I did a full closet cleaning, throwing out anything that was too big, too small, hadn't been worn in a year, wasn't attractive, etc. My wardrobe is more spartan than ever, but weirdly inspiring.

I got rid of 3 large trash bags full of suits and dress clothes last year. I figured since most were a size 12 I would never wear them again. It was a little sad getting rid of my skinny* clothes.

I will be very happy when I know I am never going to be a 20 again. The day I get rid of all my fat clothes I will celebrate.

*for my build, a size 12 is very fit, if not exactly skinny.

Yesterday did over an hour of walking. Walked from the library to the gym (about 5 minutes) and then did 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3 mph at a 2.0 incline and then walked around downtown for a bit more. All in all was about 60 or 70 minutes.

Good job, ztem and Lany!!! You are doing great on the workouts, zt.

Lany - please consider doing yourself a favor and buying some new pants - even just 3 pairs of pants, and get rid of all the larger ones. I can't tell you how wonderful it's been for me to get rid of all of my "fat pants" that I had altered down...but still really didn't fit. Alterations can change the waist and butt, but they can't change the look of the front of the pants or the width (unless you have the legs altered, too, and that's just getting into ridiculous alterations charges, where you might as well buy new pants anyways). Buying and wearing pants that truly fit is a joy.

Thanks. I really don't mind going pantless for a few months. ;) I really need to save my money so I can enjoy Montreal :)

But come fall, I will get some more pants.

nice thing about keeping all my old pants is being able to fit into them again when I lose weight. Saves me a lot of money. :P

I have this really nice pair of formal slacks I got at a boutique in Scottsdale I'm looking forward to fitting into again about ten pounds from now. I could get them on now, but I'd have to suck in and they'd be nut-clinching tight, which is never enjoyable.

I find that to be a backward. I've always taken my tea plain, as I just don't think it needs anything added into it.

Maybe, it is backward, but before that I have always put sugar in both tea and coffee, because everyone in my family did it in addition to little snacks or something and I was used to it. The trick with eating was to get ride of the sugar first. Now, I can drink it plain as well, but it was the best way to learn to appreciate the taste. Of course, everyone is different, but I still prefer this over artificial sweetener.

I have rediscovered my love for broccolini with whole garlic cloves. Damn, that stuff is tasty. I need to go and buy some to make for this weekend.

I am slightly distraught over the fashion in maternity wear now, which is to promote your bump. I am more used to hiding it, or minimizing it, because 4-5 months of my life should never reverse what I have been taught during the rest of it. I look like a blimp. Sure, the clothes are comfy, but I resemble a house. And what is with the lack of color for maternity wear? Am I doomed to wear grays and greens and oranges? I'm going back to Forever 21. Sure, it can be a bit hoochie mama, but at least I can wear a print. And get some colorful accessories to accompany the drab brown and gray dresses I got yesterday (I am imagining wearing them with a bold necklace or shoe).

I love broccolini to bits. Along with Bok Choy, it seems to be everywhere right now, and I'm enjoying every second of it. Can't find any turnip greens though, which I am craving. Maybe they just throw the tops away in Scotland? :unsure:

Grats Lany! Remember you're just starting! Focus on your future vision!

Eef, sounds like you really have this down. Don't let anything slow you down.

Emilie, grats on being so close to your goal! I'm curious, though, do you weigh yourself at the same time every day? My weight varies 2-3lbs based on the time of day. (Granted, I am 2.5 of you.)

Archived