Help me lose (or gain) weight

Bellis

I'm not sure if this question would be better put in the workout thread, but I don't want to derail the conversation over there so...

I'm thinking of signing up at the gym again. My shedule only allows for early morning or late night workouts, so my thought was to do wieght training in the morning (I shouldn't get so sweaty as to be offensive to my co-workers) and then a late night cardio session.

But I don't know how I'm supposed arrange my meals around a morning workout. I know that you're supposed to eat after a workout - but I'm not too sure that it's a good idea to lift on an empty stomach.

As it stands I do a quick, basic 10-15 minute workout, then have a breakfast of about 400 calories. Since I'll be getting a better workout, I'll probably have to increase that a bit?

Yeah, so what's recommended? Eating before, after, or both? And if it's both (I kind of suspect that it might be) should I have more pre- or post-workout?

I'm not sure if this question would be better put in the workout thread, but I don't want to derail the conversation over there so...

I'm thinking of signing up at the gym again. My shedule only allows for early morning or late night workouts, so my thought was to do wieght training in the morning (I shouldn't get so sweaty as to be offensive to my co-workers) and then a late night cardio session.

But I don't know how I'm supposed arrange my meals around a morning workout. I know that you're supposed to eat after a workout - but I'm not too sure that it's a good idea to lift on an empty stomach.

As it stands I do a quick, basic 10-15 minute workout, then have a breakfast of about 400 calories. Since I'll be getting a better workout, I'll probably have to increase that a bit?

Yeah, so what's recommended? Eating before, after, or both? And if it's both (I kind of suspect that it might be) should I have more pre- or post-workout?

Read Body For Life.

Sign up at the gym. Talk to a certified trainer about what your goals are and what your time constraints are. I've been told it's okay for me to do 30 minutes of cardio when I wake up on basically water. You need to eat more after your workout, not before. Cramps suck. Anyway, sign up, talk to a trainer. Usually there is a promotion where you get a free session and a discussion of your dietary needs prior to beginning a workout regimen.

I wanted to let you guys know I am currently chowing down on a quarter of a watermelon. This is discretion: I can put away a whole watermelon of impressive size, no problem. Now... I wonder if egg whites would go over well post fruit binge...

...eating my chicken curry salad from whole foods right now. it's my post workout reward; one of those rare foods I really like that is also pretty good for you. I'll do salad and veggies later. right now is protein time.

I just had the best dinner out at a locally famous Neapolitan Pizza Restaurant. It was three hours of wine, aps, and delightful conversation with a good friend; followed up with the main course: two handmade personal pizzas of impeccable quality made by a master chef. I had the homemade fennel sausage, mozzy, and onion; and she had the three cheese and arugalah. The arugalah was so fresh it had an almost basil quality to it, opening up the tastebuds for the impending blast of flavor from the parmigiano reggiano.

It was probably over 1500 calories total, but I wouldn't trade away a single one in the name of diet and fitness. Sometimes food is fuel. Sometimes it is a song sung throughout an evening that leaves you humming a tune the rest of the night.

my protein shakes are made of awesome. I take a young coconut, use the water as the base, add the very soft young coconut meat, add a scoop of protein powder and a teaspoon or so of a xocotol hot chocolate mix (basically hot chocolate with chiles added) for a bit of extra kick and chocolatelyness. the other day I was rooting through my freezer for something to eat an hour or so after the postworkout shake and came up with an almost empty bag of frozen black cherries. in they went to the shake. DAMN! like a chocolate covered cherry milkshake. so delicious. tried it with frozen blueberries today, made of awesome. I used to make kefir shakes with frozen fruit, back when I brewed my own, but this is better.

Still holding to program. Mostly. Dinner was a little bigger than it should have been - what normally would have been split 5 ways was split into 4 (because the little one doesn't like it, and there's not much I can do to reduce the recipe), so as not to be wasteful. I probably should have just divided it 5 ways and put one serving in the freezer. Oh well. Maybe I'll cut 1/3 out of my lunch (which is the same meal). Maybe I won't. :dunno:

Read Body For Life.

While I appreciate the sentiment, and am happy that the program is working well for you, I'm not really interested in completely changing my regimen. My diet works well (when I stick to it), and has allowed me to drop 40 lbs in less than 3 months; so I'm going to keep doing that. I just want to add a little more exercise into the mix.

Sign up at the gym. Talk to a certified trainer about what your goals are and what your time constraints are. I've been told it's okay for me to do 30 minutes of cardio when I wake up on basically water. You need to eat more after your workout, not before. Cramps suck. Anyway, sign up, talk to a trainer. Usually there is a promotion where you get a free session and a discussion of your dietary needs prior to beginning a workout regimen.

I know somebody who just signed up at this place last month, and they did get a free session with a PT. I was hoping to skip that, since she (the trainer) also started complaining about how nobody wants to make appointments with her... economy... blah blah blah. So this person ended up giving in and signing up for weekly PT sessions. Which is fine, since she has the money for it. But I don't, so I was hoping to just skip the whole thing. I'm no stranger to working out - but it has been a few years since I quit the gym (didn't like that one) and had to give up MA classes.

I'm going to sign up Saturday, so if they give me the PT session, then I'll take it and see what they have to say. But I'd also like to be prepared in case they don't. I Googled it (probably should have just done that in the first place) and found that it's supposedly recommended to just have some fruit first - so it'll be a banana before, some diluted apple juice during, and then my normal breakfast after.

my protein shakes are made of awesome. I take a young coconut, use the water as the base, add the very soft young coconut meat, add a scoop of protein powder and a teaspoon or so of a xocotol hot chocolate mix (basically hot chocolate with chiles added) for a bit of extra kick and chocolatelyness.

I was under the impression that coconut isn't very good for you; that it was mostly saturated fat.

It sounds alright otherwise. I found (back when I used to drink protein shakes) that I just couldn't take them without yogurt. Nothing else seemed to mask the awful taste of the powder quite as well.

Right, starting tomorrow I'm dieting. 2800cals, 280g protein, 250g carbs, 70g fat a day. 190lbs here I come.

If I ate that I'd be big as a house! :lol:

...eating my chicken curry salad from whole foods right now. it's my post workout reward; one of those rare foods I really like that is also pretty good for you. I'll do salad and veggies later. right now is protein time.

It either is or isn't buddy... Salads are notorious for having hidden calories... be careful.

I made an odd creation in the kitchen tonight that I really liked. I was trying to use up the rest of the kale I bought and I tried cooking it down in pasta sauce (marinara style) and then mixing it with quinoa. I'm positive that's a damn healthy meal and I really liked it but I don't know how often those things are put together.

Quinoa is supposed to be a damn nutritious food but I've had trouble finding ways that I like it. The pasta sauce worked well for me.

I saute frozen veggies in low sodium chicken broth. When the broth is almost gone then throw in about .5c of cooked Quinoa, and a handful of dry sundried tomatoes. Toss it around until it's all sizzling then drip some low sodium soy sauce over it, toss again and serve... If you added cooked chicken to this you have an entire 1 bowl meal cooked very quickly.

I usually cook up 1c of Quinoa on Sundays and use it thru the week. Cook it in low sodium chicken broth instead of water. Add whatever spices you like. I use a creole spice blend and it turns out really tasty..

I just had the best dinner out at a locally famous Neapolitan Pizza Restaurant. It was three hours of wine, aps, and delightful conversation with a good friend; followed up with the main course: two handmade personal pizzas of impeccable quality made by a master chef. I had the homemade fennel sausage, mozzy, and onion; and she had the three cheese and arugalah. The arugalah was so fresh it had an almost basil quality to it, opening up the tastebuds for the impending blast of flavor from the parmigiano reggiano.

It was probably over 1500 calories total, but I wouldn't trade away a single one in the name of diet and fitness. Sometimes food is fuel. Sometimes it is a song sung throughout an evening that leaves you humming a tune the rest of the night.

Cheat days/meals are very important! I think I'm having one today as a matter of fact!

eta: I'm allergic to caffeine. It gives me intense, nausea inducing headaches...

I know somebody who just signed up at this place last month, and they did get a free session with a PT. I was hoping to skip that, since she (the trainer) also started complaining about how nobody wants to make appointments with her... economy... blah blah blah. So this person ended up giving in and signing up for weekly PT sessions. Which is fine, since she has the money for it. But I don't, so I was hoping to just skip the whole thing. I'm no stranger to working out - but it has been a few years since I quit the gym (didn't like that one) and had to give up MA classes.

I'm going to sign up Saturday, so if they give me the PT session, then I'll take it and see what they have to say. But I'd also like to be prepared in case they don't. I Googled it (probably should have just done that in the first place) and found that it's supposedly recommended to just have some fruit first - so it'll be a banana before, some diluted apple juice during, and then my normal breakfast after.

No. Water before and during. Do not rely on sugared drinks however diluted to take you through a workout session. You need your sugar levels to be even. If you have fruit, you need to take it with a complex carb. Fruit and oatmeal is fine. Fruit by itself, not fine. I'm one of those people whose digestive systems utterly dislikes activity after being fed, and I have to wait an hour before going to the gym, so if I'm up in the morning doing cardio, I wake up, get my glass of water in 15 minutes before I go, take a bottle of water with me when I go, and I'm fine. Then I come back and eat a good breakfast. Have a banana with some granola, even. But not by itself.

For those of you reading about the fruit and carb thing, the reason why I'm not recommending a fruit and protein is because for a cardio workout, you want fast energy, which protein is not. I'm also assuming that Bill will come back from his workout, shower, and immediately stuff himself with some eggs and yogurt.

Edit: You're avoiding a session with a PT because she bitches? Just ignore her when she bitches, or find someone else. Surely there is more than one certified trainer at the gym.

I wish PTs would just charge by the session, and charge a reasonable rate at that. $25 an hour doesn't seem out of line, it's just that they always want an exorbitant amount, and a committment of X number of sessions paid up front.

While I appreciate the sentiment, and am happy that the program is working well for you, I'm not really interested in completely changing my regimen. My diet works well (when I stick to it), and has allowed me to drop 40 lbs in less than 3 months; so I'm going to keep doing that. I just want to add a little more exercise into the mix.

You asked for advice. I gave you the best advice possible for someone who hasn't a clue in the gym. But instead of listening to it, you make some comments about diet.

That's fine. But make it clear you want your hand held, and people will not waste their time in replying to you. Reading a book is a lot cheaper than hiring a trainer.

"I thought about having the salad, so I'm gonna get the cheeseburger."

Fitzsimons and his team were investigating something they call "vicarious goal fulfillment," in which having the opportunity to act in a way that fulfills long-term objectives - for example, eating healthier - fulfills a person's goal, even if he or she doesn't actually make that healthier choice. They hypothesized that people would choose the worst option on a menu more frequently when that menu included a food that represented a healthy goal, compared to when they were presented with a menu that included a range of less-healthy options.

In every one of the experiments Fitzsimons and his colleagues did, this turned out to be true.

Among 70 undergraduate students, for example, 37% chose a bacon-cheeseburger when the alternatives included a veggie burger (other options were a chicken or fish sandwich). But when the veggie burger wasn't on the menu, just 17% picked the bacon cheeseburger.

I'm trying to think if I've done this, but can't remember anything lately; maybe I don't get out enough? Do have to peel some carrots for snacking on later, though.

I wish PTs would just charge by the session, and charge a reasonable rate at that. $25 an hour doesn't seem out of line, it's just that they always want an exorbitant amount, and a committment of X number of sessions paid up front.

I'm glad my gm doesn't have PTs. Most don't have a clue in my experience.

LP I'm starving!

I was under the impression that coconut isn't very good for you; that it was mostly saturated fat.

the saturated fat in coconuts are medium chain fatty acids, its also the richest food source in lauric acid (outside of breast milk) coconut water is natural gatorade/electrolyte drink. I'm also using young coconuts, rather than mature coconuts, which have far fewer calories (a mature coconut is more like 1500, calories, while a young coconut is 300-500, iirc). imo, young coconuts are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. :D

LP I'm starving!

:lol:

Then eat!

My appetite has not really increased since I've started... But I think I had a lot of fat in reserve to burn... I'm really trying to slowly increase the amount of food I'm eating.. Well good food. More protein and more veggies. Except tonight it's going to be more Chips, Salsa, Carne Asada and Margaritas! :D

Archived