Help me lose (or gain) weight

Bellis

protein shakes, like protein bars, are ways to extract large amounts of money from us gullible people for a very low quality and generic protein. We agree to letting them take large amounts of our money because it means we have to work less in the kitchen and don't have to plan as many meals, so we tell ourselves that the protein is "FASTER and more INTENSE" in terms of making us Bigger and Stronger, because after all, we paid large amounts of money for a very cheap product, so it must be both more awesome and more efficacious than a whole food. Taking an isolated product, like protein shakes is probably as about as useful as using one of the isolated muscle cable machines, but you won't hear anyone saying that.

Also, mine are delicious, and they're easy, and fast. that's why I drink them.

Protein bars are almost universally complete shit, one or two I've tried have been somewhat edible, most of them are complete crap though. I made my own once: natural peanut butter, honey, butter, protein powder, dribble of water and quick oats, those tasted pretty good.

I'd like to throw out there that a calorie is not just a calorie, and that 30 calories from whole milk is less fattening than 30 calories from soda.

:agree: And thanks for a really interesting post.

There are some crazy theories about there about diet soda too. Some people think that the sweet taste sends messages to the brain that make you store fat more readily. Or that it has a similar impact on the brain as real sugar which then makes you in turn crave more sweets.

Here's one for you that says that diet drinks are more likely to make you obese than the regular kind.

Chats and ztem - I have to confess that I cracked today and had a couple of cookies from the batch I was making for the children's snacks. :( However, I found out a couple of things when I did so. One was that I shouldn't let myself get that hungry again (empty stomach right before dinner), and also that I got a total head rush from it. Low blood sugar does not suit me, it seems.

On the protein front, I've been craving beef lately, too; maybe I should be thinking about more quality protein (not bars) earlier in the day.

A russian doll is not a single doll, but one doll hiding several smaller dolls. So I guess she means, even thought, you find one solution to a problem you find also a new issue.

The problem with diet cola is that the substances that replace sugar are not that good for someone who is not a diabetic. :dunno: Sodas are the one thing I can give up without any problems. I didn't drink them very often in the past.

Thats what I meant. (I very nearly used the term Matroshka, and then figured people might not be familiar with it :rolleyes: )

I don't particulaly like soda, so i'm not too worried about making a habit of it - I do love juice though, which is not very friendly calorie-wise so its replacing that. (also, not exactly clear of chemical either, for the most part.)

Why in the world would you punctuate such a statement with a smiley face? That sentence is earth shatteringly depressing to me. You're going to take pills when you could just drink a delicious cup of coffee or green tea complete with antioxidants and other plant compounds that help to minimize the damage? Are you nuts? Have you not tried Guatemalan Antigua or Costa Rican Tarrazu or matcha from Shizuoka?

I won't even start on ephedrine. I'll just shake my head, sadly.

I hate coffee.

Re: Ephedrine and Caffeine (ECA Stack)

Oh, it works. In fact, the ECA stack works better than liposuction or gastric bypass for fat loss. Not only are the thermogenic properties incredibly powerful, but the appetite suppression in second to absolutely none.

But make no mistake, you are literally playing with fire. The effects on your brain, your central nervous system as a whole, your adrenals, and your general anxiety levels are astronomical (and permanent.) It is basically (and literally) trading your peace of mind for leanness.

Ripped Fuel was my personal crutch in the Marines. I took it as directed (unlike most people) and I tweeked on it for months at a time. My temper became paper thin. I had panic attacks. I passed out. I still feel the repercussions from my usage over a decade later.

Luke, if I can convince you of anything, please, please do not get on ephedrine.

As for protein powders, I use muscle milk because of the insanely great taste and change from all-whey-all-the-time, and Gold Standard protein extreme chocolate is a close second when I want a shot of whey.

As for protein bars, they do NOT all taste like shit. Try a Supreme Rocky Road bar before you make any decisions. (And Muscle Milk Vanilla Toffee Crunch bars are also close to heaven.)

I've bought them more for the stimulant effects before a workout with the added bonus of the fat loss but ok I shall stick to the caffeine. :thumbsup:

In regards to whey though I haven't used it for a while there are quite a few very tasty ones.

Chataya, I grew up drinking coffee loaded with evaporated milk and sugar. It was a pleasant surprise to learn more about coffee when I was older. If you have the palate for wine, then I think you might find black coffee an acquired taste with a load of depth and subtleties to the flavour. Maybe you can experiment with loads of different kinds and blends and find something you actually enjoy. Good luck!

My diet plan has mostly just become whole foods. Nothing that comes from a box, or pre packaged. Just lean meats, whole grains, and lots of fresh vegetables simply cooked. I've actually really been enjoying getting into the kitchen and being creative with my food. Fruits I've mostly cut out because of the sugar, but I use to battle the worst of the sweet cravings. Banana on whole wheat toast has kept me from stuffing my face with a blueberry muffin on a couple of occasions now. Its pretty exciting to feel this is a permanent life change, and not just some 'diet'. I feel strong and happy about this.

I hate coffee.

How can such a thing be possible? :o

For those of you still learning to love the bean:

Black coffee is the best thing on this earth. It is the reason I don't commit suicide in the morning. I almost want to send you some of my Dota medium roast because it is the best way to start with black coffee--it's delightfully mild and hardly bitter. I french press my coffee and that improves the flavor---the trick is not to let it brew too long or too little--this makes it acidic and bitter. 1-2 minutes, a quick stir, and press. I'm drinking some right now and.......mmmmmmm!

Get good Arabica beans, medium roast, for excellent flavor and a balanced cup. Lots of well known roasteries (like Starfucks and Peets) over-roast their beans and over charge their customer.

I love the smell of coffee, but HATE the taste. Thankfully, I love tea.

I adore tea - but then some maths showed that a spoonful+ of sugar in the sometimes up to 10-15 or so cups of tea I drink daily really adds up. Switched to the artificial stuff, which was annoying at first, but i've gotten used to it. Also, I can now taste the actual tea/fruit/herb, which is an interesting change.

I always hated coffee, but then in the army went straight from no coffee ever to bedouin style mud coffee, which I still don't drink much, but no longer dislike either. (as long as it has cardamom, ofcourse.) I heartily recommend that to everyone. Thats coffee that tastes like it smells. ( I have no idea what the - lack of, probably - health benefits are though.)

Emilie,

You will get far better results for fat burning from Gren Tea than you will from coffee. Alos, the antioxidant levels in it are incredibly good.

but... it tastes like grass covered in ass.

Emilie,

You will get far better results for fat burning from Gren Tea than you will from coffee. Alos, the antioxidant levels in it are incredibly good.

but... it tastes like grass covered in ass.

No it doesn't! You have to get the good stuff. Fresh, vacuum packed in dark material, loose leaf. It should look bright green when it's brewed.

I prefer the varieties grown in Japan rather than China. They have a much milder and sweeter flavor. Sencha leaves from Shizuoka are good, or try a Japanese genmai blend (mixed with roasted brown rice or popped corn) for a nutty, warm flavor. Green tea needs to be brewed on 160 degree water for 1-2 minutes. If you let it brew much longer, it's going to taste like ass-grass, and bitter.

Seastarr - do you think that a place like Teavana would have good green tea?

I usually drink white tea, but would be willing to give green tea a try.

I have been doing so well on the MoR, and I slipped up this evening and had some ice cream - 1/2 a cup, so not terrible...but my willpower wasn't where it should have been. Hopefully, it won't have too much of an effect!

I went over to Teavana's site. I would recommend Dao Ren, Sencha, or Gyokuro from them. As I said, I prefer the Japanese varieties. I have tried all of these (not from them particularly) and enjoyed them. I usually get mine from mygreentea.com. If you want to try some of my genmai-matcha blend that I have right now, I buy it in bulk and I just got a fresh bag. I'd be happy to send you a sample, too.

I adore tea - but then some maths showed that a spoonful+ of sugar in the sometimes up to 10-15 or so cups of tea I drink daily really adds up. Switched to the artificial stuff, which was annoying at first, but i've gotten used to it. Also, I can now taste the actual tea/fruit/herb, which is an interesting change.

I always hated coffee, but then in the army went straight from no coffee ever to bedouin style mud coffee, which I still don't drink much, but no longer dislike either. (as long as it has cardamom, ofcourse.) I heartily recommend that to everyone. Thats coffee that tastes like it smells. ( I have no idea what the - lack of, probably - health benefits are though.)

I use than one package of splenda per cup, but more in my iced teas. But no sugars.

Seastarr - do you think that a place like Teavana would have good green tea?

I usually drink white tea, but would be willing to give green tea a try.

I have been doing so well on the MoR, and I slipped up this evening and had some ice cream - 1/2 a cup, so not terrible...but my willpower wasn't where it should have been. Hopefully, it won't have too much of an effect!

I'm fabulous on the MoR except for the coffee. *sigh*

otherwise, working out every day, check. 6/6 so far. Another couple days, then I'll take one off to recuperate.

no booze, yeah yeah, check.

No sugar/ starches, check. I do have a measured amount pre workout, but that's it. Without a little carbohydrate in the bloodstream, weight training is too far from enjoyable and too close to torture.

I'm down another pound and another belt notch, making it an even 20 lbs since I started these shenanigans in late Feb.

I have learned to drink tea and coffee without sugar by eating something with the tea (instead of using articifial stuff). At first, it was often something sweet, but later, it was anything that contains carbohydrates (even complex carbohydrates). It doesn't have to be very much, just a few bites. Now, I can drink it pure. Well, except for the fact, that I can not stomach black coffee, litterally.

I'm tired of being skinny. I work out a little and try to eat a lot, but my BMI is stuck at a ridiculously low level (no health problems, just concerned about my appearence). What is it that I'm not getting enough of in my diet?

I don't mind increasing my body fat percentage, but I don't want to have too much sugar because of a history of acne problems.

Archived