MLB Thread

Myshkin

Well, it's not like they could have made any bigger of a jump in games-off-of-.500 in a two-game span.

:rolleyes:? Is that how standings work?

The comment was meant to point out that they are incredibly inconsistent. For a time this season, their run differential was one of the lowest in the league. I wrote early in the season that I expected them to lose pretty badly or win by a run or two. Then, they explode for 31 runs in 2 games and Mauer is hitting like someone finally told him its a good idea to knock it over the fence.

And while it is nice to see my team put together some offense, they remain 4.5 games out of first place in their division and are still a sub-.500 club. Tempered excitement.

I thought it was pretty funny today that when Sportscenter was explaining why everyone was wearing red hats they used a picture of a Cardinals player to illustrate their point.

Joe Mauer hit another homer today, giving him 11 in his 22 games this season. Given more than 100 games to go, he may have an outside shot at a career high (13).

Is there a better catcher in the league?

Its like its the 60's again when the Cardinals play in the last 2 weeks. Every friggen game is a pitching duel, and I doubt the pen has pitched 10 innings in the last 7 games. This last one was cool and then crappy. Chris Carpenter is a really interesting case, I can't recall a pitcher who spends whole seasons on the DL and then comes back to be dominate multiple times. I'm not sure how many innings are needed to counted for league leaders but it would be pretty funny if Grienke had to actually look up at somebody in the mlb ERA race. :P

Joe Mauer hit another homer today, giving him 11 in his 22 games this season. Given more than 100 games to go, he may have an outside shot at a career high (13).

Is there a better catcher in the league?

Well, I don't know. He's playing out of this world at the moment. However, you do have to keep Victor Martinez in the conversation as he's playing almost at the same level.

I mean, Mauer's power is newly developed so while this is an unbelievable run, I can't possibly imagine him keeping it up.

Its like its the 60's again when the Cardinals play in the last 2 weeks. Every friggen game is a pitching duel, and I doubt the pen has pitched 10 innings in the last 7 games. This last one was cool and then crappy. Chris Carpenter is a really interesting case, I can't recall a pitcher who spends whole seasons on the DL and then comes back to be dominate multiple times. I'm not sure how many innings are needed to counted for league leaders but it would be pretty funny if Grienke had to actually look up at somebody in the mlb ERA race

It's scary how nasty Carpenter is when he's actually pitching. The problem is, he spends far too much time on the DL to be counted on for a season of pitching. Even if he matches Greinke, chances are he'll have 50-70 or so less IP.

At the moment, between Carpenter, Verlander and Greinke, we're seeing some incredible pitching. Hell, we could probably include Peavy in that conversation as well as he's been just filthy in May as well.

And on a separate note, it's nice to see Phillip Hughes turn in 2 good starts back to back. The key for him is location with his fastball and when he can hit his spots, he has the stuff to dominate. I hope the Yankees stick with him long enough to give him a shot because this constant up and down will never help him develop. Think about people Greinke in his first years. He's finally gotten to where he should be but he had a rough time. The Royals gave him the shot though and it's paying off. Same with Verlander. Last year was so damn ugly and even early April was as well. But since then, he's been untouchable. The Yankees are enamoured with the idea of instant success and have no idea that young pitchers are going to take their lumps. It's frustrating because I think Hughes has the stuff to compete, just not the true opportunity to learn on the job. He's only 22, if they send him down one more time after a bad start, he might need to be traded in order to ever get anywhere.

Well, I don't know. He's playing out of this world at the moment. However, you do have to keep Victor Martinez in the conversation as he's playing almost at the same level.

I mean, Mauer's power is newly developed so while this is an unbelievable run, I can't possibly imagine him keeping it up.

Yeah, I am having a hard time believing it, too. But he has better numbers than Martinez, in half the time. And he is widely regarded as one of the better defensive catchers in the league. He also calls a good game. You've got a point, Martinez does belong in the conversation, but I think Mauer is leading it.

Yeah, I am having a hard time believing it, too. But he has better numbers than Martinez, in half the time. And he is widely regarded as one of the better defensive catchers in the league. He also calls a good game. You've got a point, Martinez does belong in the conversation, but I think Mauer is leading it.

If we go by just this year, then yes, Mauer, should be considered the best catcher in baseball. Really, all that was truly missing was power and it seems he has developed it. I have to say though, I'm incredibly shocked. It's not everyday that a guy who has never hit more than 13 HRs in a season comes off the DL and rips more HRs than the best power hitters in the game.

Go White Sox, get some of that run differential back!! Though I'd much rather they spread some of that offense out across a couple of games. Karma will naturally demand that things even themselves out so I suspect we'll be shut out tomorrow.

If we go by just this year, then yes, Mauer, should be considered the best catcher in baseball. Really, all that was truly missing was power and it seems he has developed it. I have to say though, I'm incredibly shocked. It's not everyday that a guy who has never hit more than 13 HRs in a season comes off the DL and rips more HRs than the best power hitters in the game.

Mauer was the best catcher in the game last year (hell, he could have/should have won the MVP over Pedroia), and the gap has only widened this year.

Victor Martinez is a C/1B/DH. Let's not kid around here.

It's not terribly surprising when a line drive hitter adds HR power in his mid to late 20's. Obviously Mauer's not going to keep up his current pace, but the real surprise was that he hadn't hit more HR previously. Great eye, great contact, strength, frame .... all the elements were there, maybe he's just getting more lift now?

How 'bout them Padres....

The Padres are on a big hot streak, but they'll need a couple more after the All-Star break to keep on pace with the Dodgers. Even without a Juiced up Manny they are going for their 32nd win tonight. I think they can do it though, I can't root for L.A. team, GO FATHERS ! :cool:

Matt Wieters will arrive in the major leagues on Friday and ALL MERE MORTALS SHALL TREMBLE AND DESPAIR!

Be prepared: Matt Wieters Facts

He's going to be great. Can't wait to see that Orioles lineup once he's up. Wonder how it'll shake out. They'll probably start him as a 6, 7, or 8 hitter while he gets adjusted, and then move him up later.

In other news...just saw Vladdy in the LAA - CWS game, and damn, he looks fat. Been on the Miguel Cabrera diet while he was rehabbing his injury?

Archived