U.S. Politics

Annelise

Zap's comments are sheer comedic genius. I am in awe of them. I fear that they have, perhaps, jumped the shark, by being no longer quite believable, however. For me, the killer line is:

Instead of being "torture" like waterboardees claim, I suspect that waterboarding is merely a process that is so agonizing and dehumanizing that they are willing to say and do anything in order to not be waterboarded again.

Pure brilliance.

Instead of being "torture" like waterboardees claim, I suspect that waterboarding is merely a process that is so agonizing and dehumanizing that they are willing to say and do anything in order to not be waterboarded again.

Ok. I'm just a lurker. Don't have much interest in posting. But this.... Please, for the love of God, tell me this is failure at irony? Please? Is it possible to actually believe double-speak like this? The cognitive dissonance in this one sentence, let alone the rest of your last two posts Zap, is brutally mind boggling.

If we are to classify waterboarding as "torture" then we have to discount the sensationalist claims of those who have undergone the process in favor of the more rational analysis of those who have never been waterboarded.

They're just irony deficient today Zap, this is a gem.

Zap is a partisan, not an imbecile. Don't get the two confused. He also has a gift with the pen (which is why he's so goddamned irritating while being a partisan.) Go back and read of his battle with Lightning Bolt if you ever doubt this.

Aye. Given Zap's previous posts in political threads, I'd believe he'd say anything.

This. Someone puts forth post after post of ultra hard line conservative talking points (showing a lot of courage on such a liberal board, I might add) then, instead of habitually scratching the ceiling as usual, goes totally over the top and all of the sudden its irony? My irony detector is working fine thanks. If Shryke or a comparable boarder had made that statement, sure it would've been ironic. As it is, I'm not so sure. :stunned:

I'll give Zap the chance to tell me otherwise. Till then, later folks.

What Shryke said. It's believable precisely because it's Zap who is saying it. But I agree that it's hilarious either way.

Agreed. I laughed loud enough that my colleague came over to see what I was watching (she knows I watch Daily Show pretty often)

I decided not to try to explain.

I'll give Zap the chance to tell me otherwise. Till then, later folks.

I doubt he'll bother. Think about this. Every single comment made by someone who knows it was irony has a member number below 5,000 (as does Zap.) Every single comment made by someone doubting this has a member number above 5,000.

I doubt he'll bother. Think about this. Every single comment made by someone who knows it was irony has a member number below 5,000 (as does Zap.) Every single comment made by someone doubting this has a member number above 5,000.

Ahh, so sorry we lesser folks spoke out. I just go back to lurkin then, oh ancient one. Please forgive me for ever thinking someone who openly displays a message of hateful antagonism as their avatar could be capable of hateful, antagonistic (and frankly moronic) opinions.

I really do hope it's irony rather than some lame form of internet message board elitism that not only allows but defends such casual displays of ignorance.

Ahh, so sorry we lesser folks spoke out. I just go back to lurkin then, oh ancient one. Please forgive me for ever thinking someone who openly displays a message of hateful antagonism as their avatar could be capable of hateful, antagonistic (and frankly moronic) opinions.

I really do hope it's irony rather than some lame form of internet message board elitism that not only allows but defends such casual displays of ignorance.

The only irony here is that what I'm about to say I almost said the first time to head off the insanity inherent in your post, but I foolishly held out hope that this ridiculous overreaction wouldn't happen.

Anyway *sigh* Those of us who know Zap's posting style better, all of us, every one, knew that it was irony and told you so. Those boarders who I hold in equal esteem to myself yet are less familiar with Zap's posting style are the only one's to be unsure.

Climb down from your cross now. If you want to, of course. I don't want you to accuse me of giving orders or something. :cheers:

reflection from this weekend. I'd forgotten how much hate my dad used to put into his voice whenever he described something 'wrong' with the country and attached "Clinton" to it in some way. Then this weekend I heard the same venom when he described something 'wrong' with the country and attached "Obama" to it in the same way.

It is surreal. I grew up thinking that a democrat president like Clinton was surely leading us to world ruin we were in a perpetual state of barely avoiding because that's what my dad said, democrats are going to destroy everything great about the country. Now I'm suddenly hearing it again, the 'democrats are destroying everything great about the country.' WTF? we've had eight solid years of a republican president actively trying to destroy everything great about the country, driving the country off a cliff, possibly having taken it into an unsalvagable state, and in all those eight years you never had a bad word to say about Bush, and he was a great leader and we were on the right track and he'd restore things to the good state things were before Clinton nearly wrecked the country?

I hope I don't wind up so blinded by partisanism as I get older. But I already feel somewhat blinded because I can't stand anything republican right now. I will, perhaps, remain open to being courted by a socially liberal fiscally conservative type though, but I really can't say that I'm any better than my Dad in regards to the partisan blinders I've got on.

Archived