NHL: Hope Springs Eternal*

BLU-RAY

A tangentially related question: What is going to happen to the Red Wings (and, indeed, the city's other sports franchises) if the current deterioration of Detroit continues?

What I'm asking is; will I need to find a new team to root for? I would hate to, especially since there are no Nordiques, Jets or Whalers anymore. And how to pick a new team? What should the criteria be? Should I favour Canadian teams, Original Six teams, entertaining teams, underdogs, teams with a lot of foreigners, teams with a lot of homegrown talent (a.k.a. Canadian teams :P).

If anyone cares to, I might be persuaded by a properly presented case for your hockey team. Why should I, in the event of Red Wings demise, root for your team?

A tangentially related question: What is going to happen to the Red Wings (and, indeed, the city's other sports franchises) if the current deterioration of Detroit continues?

What I'm asking is; will I need to find a new team to root for?

No, the Wings are not going anywhere.

What I'm asking is; will I need to find a new team to root for? I would hate to, especially since there are no Nordiques, Jets or Whalers anymore. And how to pick a new team? What should the criteria be? Should I favour Canadian teams, Original Six teams, entertaining teams, underdogs, teams with a lot of foreigners, teams with a lot of homegrown talent (a.k.a. Canadian teams :P).

If anyone cares to, I might be persuaded by a properly presented case for your hockey team. Why should I, in the event of Red Wings demise, root for your team?

You should root for the Penguins because that's how God intended it. Plus Crosby and Malkin are two of the best 3 players in the NHL and Fleury is one of the top 5 goaltenders...

Also because, dammit, Mario Lemieux is the best player of all time.

You should root for the Penguins because that's how God intended it. Plus Crosby and Malkin are two of the best 3 players in the NHL and Fleury is one of the top 5 goaltenders...

Hard as I may try, i simply can't find a flaw in this logic.

;)

And also, Billy Freakin Guerin.

Who doesn't love Bill Guerin? i mean, besides pedophiles and satanists.

Hate to go on a tangent, but no he's not.

It could be worse: you could be Carolina this season. :cry:

:-\ sorry, dude. Carolina having such a rough year is the only thing keeping me sane right now, though I'm not too proud of it.

I wouldn't mind Ovechkin so much if he would back up his play with his fists.

On other notes, I am gladly enthusiastic as Sutter turns the Flames into New Jersey East. Well not a huge surprise I guess, because when we got to the finals it was playing tough defense too. But this is tough defense with speed and some scoring in there too, not just the horrible trap that used to get played in pre lockout days.

If only we could learn how to beat Chicago though. San Jose this weekend should be fun!

It's a shame the Sharks haven't had a chance to play them yet this year.

Oh yes! *cracks knuckles*

I'm confused. Do you mean it is a shame San Jose hasn't played Calgary or Chicago. I know they've not played Calgary, but Chicago on their recent trip beat us 7-1 and then a few nights later beat you guys 7-2. Chicago has smoked us both this season.

I'm confused. Do you mean it is a shame San Jose hasn't played Calgary or Chicago.

Chicago, of course. Should be epic.

I know they've not played Calgary, but Chicago on their recent trip beat us 7-1 and then a few nights later beat you guys 7-2. Chicago has smoked us both this season.

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

I'd just like to point something out to those who do not follow Colorado that closely (which in the past couple years I suspect is much of the hockey world): Matt Duchene is on fire! and after his very slow start to the season in which he showed flashes of greatness but never cashed in, he seems to have the magic touch.

However, now that I have jinxed him sufficiently, I will go back to crossing my fingers that the Avs scrape their way into the playoffs :)

I will go back to crossing my fingers that the Avs scrape their way into the playoffs :)

How are you an Avalanche fan? :o

And seriously Arakasi? Chicago is just frightening right now. I was reading up on your ass-whoopin' to see which ass-whoopin' was worse. About even, I'd say.

Scored on 7 times? Check.

At home? Check.

I'd value your one goal to our two goals equally. Your guys broke up the shutout. Our guys did it on on a 5 on 3. So the second goal (5 on 5) really only validated the first one.

Calgary took stupid penalties and were scored on 4 times as a result. San Jose drew penalties and were scored on three times, unanswered, shorthanded, during two PP's in like 5 minutes. I feel like this is the tiebreaker, but not sure in which direction.

The other goals scored were just straight Blackhawk pwnage. Yeah, scary team.

Edit: What the hell happaned to Caliban anyway? He should be all over this thread right now.

How are you an Avalanche fan? :o

First off, I'm from Saskatchewan and most of our fans are divided between the Flames, Oilers, Leafs, and Canadiens. Just not that original.

More importantly, they were either very close to, or were the first NHL I saw as a kid, and definitely the first I can remember. My first NHL memory is of Patrick Roy (my favourite player at the time, still thinking I wanted to be a goalie) join in on the Avs-Wings brawl. Also I liked their jerseys and two of their players had the same name as me :)

And seriously Arakasi? Chicago is just frightening right now. I was reading up on your ass-whoopin' to see which ass-whoopin' was worse. About even, I'd say.

Scored on 7 times? Check.

At home? Check.

I'd value your one goal to our two goals equally. Your guys broke up the shutout. Our guys did it on on a 5 on 3. So the second goal (5 on 5) really only validated the first one.

Calgary took stupid penalties and were scored on 4 times as a result. San Jose drew penalties and were scored on three times, unanswered, shorthanded, during two PP's in like 5 minutes. I feel like this is the tiebreaker, but not sure in which direction.

The other goals scored were just straight Blackhawk pwnage. Yeah, scary team.

Not to mention that Calgary had that earlier game where we gave up a 5-0 lead to them and lost 6-5 in OT. I don't think they're unbeatable. They are just very skilled and very fast. I think both of our teams have better goalies if that counts for much. We actually played them very well through about 23 minutes. Then we shit the bed. But that has sort of been Calgary's MO all year. Having letdowns in games, especially the second period which cost us dearly. The funny thing is we've been outplayed more than I can count, (we get outshot a lot) but we win games anyway. The other night against Nashville was our real first 60 minute performance. And we dominated them completely and wiped them out 5-0 on their home ice.

Calgary is changing systems from Mike Keenan's score score score who cares about defense to Brent Sutter's defensive system. It's taken some time to transfer over. And I think 2 years of free wheeling under Mike removed a sense of responsibility from the players. If Calgary plays hard and disciplined than with Kipper back there I think we can make some noise. Against a team like the Hawks though, if you let down for just a minute the puck will be in the back of the net.

I wouldn't mind Ovechkin so much if he would back up his play with his fists.

This.

The guy is borderline dirty at times. This is not his first questionable hit. He goes around at times headhunting in my opinion and has never dropped the gloves (that I can remember).

The Chicago vs Columbus shootout last night was great.

Chicago is going to announce the signing of Toews, Keith, and Kane tomorrow. Big signings for them. They are going to have to make a trade to make some salary cap room for next year possibly. I sure would like Atlanta to go make a move for Sharp.

Archived