NYC BWB Pre Con

So, we are starting to make a few plans for the pre-con NYC trip. I know there are several people that are planning on the BWB meet pre-con and it looks like that is going to take place on Tuesday Night August 4th. We need to get an idea of the number of people that would like to participate.

So far we have:

Lucky Pierre

Lany Cassandra

Mountain Goat

Beniowa

Blue Rose

Padraig

Dracarys

Zabzy

Bellis

Lugajetboygirl

Turinqui Calima

Mr. X

I know we have plenty of boarders in the city. Who's in?

Please update this thread and let us know who else will be meeting us.

Hmmm...I'm actually not taking the train. Or at least I don't think I am? I'm flying directly to Montreal. Hope no one is counting on my showing up in NYC. :uhoh:

I knew Kat was not going to be in NY.

It should also probably be pointed out that Blue Rose will only be there if she finishes writing her thesis in time - go Blue go!

I also had no idea TC got married - unless, hey is this some kind of joke?

Oh and yes I will be there, flight gets into JFK on Mon 3 Aug around 4.10 pm :)

I'll be there (and will most likely bring my husband). Any suggestions on venues etc?

Am thinking about it - will depend on how many of us there are. We might be able to get a big table at Arturos for Pizza and then go to somewhere like Puck Fair, Phoebe's or Swifts afterwards.

Also thought about Carmines (more touristy, esp. the Times Sq. branch, but pretty fun, and there are lots of pubs around there), and one of myriad Patsy's. Again, v. touristy, but the Heartland Brewery in the Empire State Building usually has plenty of space, esp. downstairs.

If there are a ton of us, we could get the upstairs room at Da Ciro and then go to one those pubs on 36th St. - (Ginger Man, Gallway Hooker, etc.) or, Lord Save Us All, to somewhere on 3rd Avenue (like, but not, Joshua Tree).

Also, we could go to Da Nico or Sal Anthony's or somewhere like that in Little Italy (Da Nico has that awesome garden), but I'm not so great with bars around there anymore. I can think of a couple of complete dives on Houston and one or two on the LES though.

Finally, the East Village has tons of options - Three of Cups springs to mind - but restaurant wise might not be the best choice for a huge group because most of the places are so small.

New Yorkers - thoughts?

Just want to point out that a lot of us are in fact tourists!

:D

I'm up for anything. I'll have gotten my local food fix out of the way before Tuesday night so whatever works for the group will work for me. Most of us are staying in TS so around there might be easiest for those that wont be staying out late.

I would love to meet some of you I haven't met before, but a weeknight will be tricky coming up from Philly, as I'm trying to minimize vacation days for the rest of the year.

I could come up Tuesday for lunch or make dinner if it's early and head back home later that evening.

Alternately, if someone can suggest or offer a place to crash for Tuesday night, I would prefer to come down Tuesday late afternoon and head back Wed early morning (involves the least time off work for me).

I would love to meet some of you I haven't met before, but a weeknight will be tricky coming up from Philly, as I'm trying to minimize vacation days for the rest of the year.

I could come up Tuesday for lunch or make dinner if it's early and head back home later that evening.

Alternately, if someone can suggest or offer a place to crash for Tuesday night, I would prefer to come down Tuesday late afternoon and head back Wed early morning (involves the least time off work for me).

You can probably crash in one of the rooms at the Marquis... We are all leaving early wed morning as the train leaves around 8am.

Thanks for the congrats. No joke - I got married on May 1st.

On venues - I love east village but agree that it is not the best place for a big group. It's also slightly harder to get to for all non-New Yorkers. Might be better to meet somewhere in Midtown? I'm no expert on venues though, only place of those I know is the Galway Hooker which I've been to and which is ok.

(Also, I guess I like Midtown because it's closer to work, so I'm being kinda selfish here)

Galway Hooker is ok. The Gingerman has better beer, though I hear it can get crowded in the workday evenings. Of course, anywhere in Midtown can get crowded on workday evenings.

I wont be able to make New York :( My boss told me I could have 4 days off, so I'll be going straight to Montreal. New Yorkers, I'll make a special trip there later this year or early next year.

Galway Hooker is ok. The Gingerman has better beer, though I hear it can get crowded in the workday evenings. Of course, anywhere in Midtown can get crowded on workday evenings.

Yeah - Gingerman can be crowded after work. I used to live right around the corner, and it can get crazy. You can reserve the back bit of the L (past the second bar and bathrooms on the right) for parties though, so I thought we could consider that if there are going to be a bunch of us. I also thought someplace that is more food oriented might be good for earlier as many people are so into the great god alcohol. There is that Patsy's over on 34th and 3rd (or so) that wouldn't be too expensive, or we could do something more like a Carmines.

Other bars that might make sense:

Sutton Place in Midtown East (52 and 2) is large and has a pretty good roof deck (and is easy to get to by subway). There's a bunch of bars around there too. If we wanted something quieter, there is a wine bar, Vero, on 53rd and 2nd, Niall's, an Irish Pub on 52 b/n 2 and 3, Redemption, on 53 and 2, Turtle Bay (over on 2nd), Black Fins (on 56 bn 2 and 3), Pig n Whistle on 3rd and 54, PJ Clarks on 54 (though it can be kinda nuts) and many others that I am just not thinking of right this short second. I'm not so good with the West Side. I know of Rosie O'Grady's over just north of Times Square, which might work.

Reserving the back of the Gingerman would be a good idea. I was just there this Wednesday and it actually wasn't too crazy. Plus they have food, so people can order eats if they want them.

PJ Clarke's does get a bit too crazy. Not familiar with the other places you listed.

Reserving the back of the Gingerman would be a good idea. I was just there this Wednesday and it actually wasn't too crazy. Plus they have food, so people can order eats if they want them.

PJ Clarke's does get a bit too crazy. Not familiar with the other places you listed.

Hmmm, may do that then. I'll give them a call and see what it takes to reserve.

There is also always the PJ Clarks by Lincoln Center too. I had forgotten about that.

Archived