Football no. 11

Horza

Anyone got a fantasy WC Group draw?

I'd like to see:

Italy

Bosnia

Australia

USA

Two solid grudges between the US-Italy and Aus-Italy, Bosnia are impressive dark horses and I'd love to see a US-Australia matchup in 2010 - two very evenly matched sides, no recent form and a bit of friendly rivalry, what more could you want?

To clarify from the last thread, my disdain for Rossi comes from the border line disparaging comments he has made about the US team and this pseudo feud with Bruce Arena that developed.

More evidence tonight was his celebration after the goal was scored. It was bad form in soccer to do anything more than a subdued celebration, especially in something like the Confederations Cup. Even the hateable Cristano Ronaldo at least had the tact to act respectfully after scoring against the club that gave him his start in the Champion's League. Considering the US youth system gave Rossi his boost, something similar today would've been classy.

Considering the US youth system gave Rossi his boost, something similar today would've been classy.

I know next to nothing about Rossi, but he joined Parma's youth system at the age of 13 so does he really count as a US product? Particularly since his father is apparently a youth football coach and thus probably responsible for his earlier development?

I'm pretty sure that under the proposed "Home Grown" rules (or are they in place now?) that if a player is in a certain country at the age of 16, they are considered to be a product of that country for the purpose of European competition, and so on that basis Rossi would be (as Jon AS shows) a product of the Italian system, and not the American.

I know next to nothing about Rossi, but he joined Parma's youth system at the age of 13 so does he really count as a US product? Particularly since his father is apparently a youth football coach and thus probably responsible for his earlier development?

He played in the premier leagues of the US youth system for his age against some of our current national team crop like Michael Bradley. Northern New Jersey is a region of the country with a very good youth system that likely, admittedly along with his father, helped his development immensely. He was involved in our Olympic Development Program as well, which basically identifies talented players at a certain age for several higher level tournaments throughout the year(although he admittedly did not stay in the program long).

There are also the sentimental ties Rossi claims to have that you would hope would have caused his celebration to be a little more muted, but hes had a history of dismissing US Soccer. I'm fine with losing players to other countries (like Subotic going to play for Serbia), but I'd just like to avoid the disdain Rossi has shown. Subotic never radiated the attitude of "screw off, I'm going to play for a real footballing nation".

For the record I wouldn't take Jermaine Jones off your hands either if I was the US National Team Coach, but my job doesn't depend on getting results on the pitch either.

I'm fine with losing players to other countries (like Subotic going to play for Serbia), but I'd just like to avoid the disdain Rossi has shown.

Yeah, that pretty much mirrors my feelings about the alleged remarks by Jones in that interview. Funny aside: did you know that last year there was some talk about Subotic playing for Germany instead? ;) Not sure who brought it up (probably some tabloid), but he was clearly ineligible for that, so the idea died pretty quickly.

For the record I wouldn't take Jermaine Jones off your hands either if I was the US National Team Coach, but my job doesn't depend on getting results on the pitch either.

I guess nobody likes the idea of picking up other people's leftovers (Germany turned down a number of high profile Bundesliga players, most recently Brazilians Lincoln and Ailton as well as French defender Valerien Isamel. Those guys were in very similar situations to Jones now), but if it gets results... Apparently Michael Bradley suggested the move to Jones during a game between Moenchengladbach and Schalke last season. By the way, what are the expectations for the US National Team Coach? Surely people can't really hope for much more than World Cup qualification at the moment?

Yeah, that pretty much mirrors my feelings about the alleged remarks by Jones in that interview. Funny aside: did you know that last year there was some talk about Subotic playing for Germany instead? ;) Not sure who brought it up (probably some tabloid), but he was clearly ineligible for that, so the idea died pretty quickly.

I guess nobody likes the idea of picking up other people's leftovers (Germany turned down a number of high profile Bundesliga players, most recently Brazilians Lincoln and Ailton as well as French defender Valerien Isamel. Those guys were in very similar situations to Jones now), but if it gets results... Apparently Michael Bradley suggested the move to Jones during a game between Moenchengladbach and Schalke last season. By the way, what are the expectations for the US National Team Coach? Surely people can't really hope for much more than World Cup qualification at the moment?

I remember something about Subotic's family spending a few years in Germany after fleeing the Yugoslav wars and I vaguely recall some article about his choice being between three(four?) countries: Bosnia, Serbia, Germany, and the US. I couldn't tell you much more than that.

I'm not surprised Bradley suggested the move, a player on the fringe with Germany is still good enough to see significant minutes with the US team.

The US team is in an odd position where essentially every game in CONCACAF except road trips to Mexico and maybe Costa Rica are supposed to be penciled in as wins. Our population, money, and domestic league are good enough for those expectations to be reasonable. At the World Cup, its generally considered a failure if we fail to move beyond the group stages. Our last national team coach (Bruce Arena) was fired after a 0-2-1 performance in Germany, despite the placement in the group of death and some horrible officiating against us in the last two games.

To clarify from the last thread, my disdain for Rossi comes from the border line disparaging comments he has made about the US team

Well the amusing thing is that based on performances over the last couple of years, I wouldn't say Italy are any better than the US. They only won yesterday because of the dismissal.

Italy are currently in a rather shabby state. Like Germany in the early 2000s. They are respected only based of what they did in the past. Of course, they may turn things around. Players like Rossi could be the first of a new generation but hard to see them turn things around by 2010.

I think the US could do well enough in the WC (i.e. get out of their group) but probably are short one really good attacking player to get very far. Altidore did well last night but not sure he fills that void.

Actually, Chiellini? :lol: Considering how Italian defending is legendary, that was one of the worst penalties ever.

Concerning the Brazil penalty giving them the win over Egypt, at first it looked apparent that Webb had given a corner, not a penalty. The injury of the defender caused a prolonged stop in the play, at the end of which suddenly Webb picked up the red card and pointed at the penalty spot. Replays show clearly that this was the right decision, but given that Webb was clearly best positioned among the four officials and appeared to have given a corner, the decision did appear suspicious.

Now Egypt have lodged a formal complaint

Egypt assistant coach Gharib Chawki added: "As far as I am aware there is no rule allowing video evidence.

"We're not contesting the referee's decision but the way it was made. Or maybe the rules have changed and nobody has told us."

"The decision was changed after a statement by the fourth official, after watching the monitor, that it should be a penalty."

I say that new story earlier and was like YES! Even before he took that massive hit in form he wasn't brilliant. Through it wouldn't kill Walcott to be more consistent so he didn't even get a look in.

Through it wouldn't kill Walcott to be more consistent so he didn't even get a look in.

Walcott is shit, he has one good game and then for the next ten he does nothing. Unfortunately everytime I've gone to the pub to watch a game he's playing in and share my deep understanding of how shit he is with my mates he has an amazing game, wanker! :unsure:

Walcott is shit, he has one good game and then for the next ten he does nothing. Unfortunately everytime I've gone to the pub to watch a game he's playing in and share my deep understanding of how shit he is with my mates he has an amazing game, wanker! :unsure:

I'll pay you to go to the pub and talk shit about Walcott every time an Arsenal game is on.

Drogba suspended for 6 European matches for his outburst at the Barca game with the final 2 matches being suspended for a two year period, which seems rather silly. Just give him the full 6 matches.

Well, they often use suspended sentences in the Criminal Justice System, it's a way of promoting good behavior.

If he does anything stupid in the next two years he gets an extra 2 game suspension on top of whatever punishment he gets for the incident itself.

Sweden had a great game this evening against Belarus in the U21 Euros, winning 5-1. I'm watching Italy-Serbia at the moment though, and it seems like they will be much tougher opponents.

Some class goals in that match. Markus Berg looks really good. Is Rasmus Bengtsson playing for the U21s?

Archived