So, I hate Daenerys

Thor85

Daenerys Stormborn is the greatest character of all time. This is known. I skip to her chapters in re-reads. A lot of the best scenes in the books have featured Dany: the birth of the dragons, the Undying, the sack of Astapor, the taking of Yunkai, taming Drogon in the Fighting Pits.

I couldn't imagine the series without Dany. And, I have to say, I'm not sure why reading about her from the eyes of other people would make her more interesting? Do you just not like being in the head of a sixteen year old girl?

We could have read about them from Jorah.

I really don't think that the head of every 16 year old is like Dany. Well, no the ones I knew. I just hate being in Dany and Sansa's head, as 16 year olds are concerned. Though there are many heads that I don't wanna be in. I don't see something wrong with that. And if we weren't inside her head, she would've been cool and fearsome, and kind. Everyone can hate a character. Don't go hard on me..

Edit: I didn't hate Dany in ASoS, at least not that much. But in every other book especially ADwD she bored me..

:rofl: Now there speaks someone with an unbiased opinion!

Seriously if you don't like Daenerys then you will have a problem given that at the heart of it ASOIAF is about the Stark children and Daenerys' attempt to regain her throne.

But... I thought the heart of ASOIAF was Hodor learning of his true heritage and becoming Emperor of the world.

Re: Dolorous Ali

I like Arya, Asha, Brienne, Lyanna, UnCat and lots of other female characters. Satisfied that I'm not a sexist? If not, I don't care to waste my time writing another post just to answer your posts

Well, you can multi-task, you know. Your post can both be a response to Lyanna AND be an explicit demonstration of your lack of sexism AND be entertaining to the rest of us as examples in failure on both counts.

Just a suggestion.

Re: Lyanna

Yeah apparently Jorah deserves a pity fuck or something? God knows why that makes sense to people.

Do you even know how this works? If a man who spends so much time, effort, money, and who sacrifices his own well being in order to be nice to a woman cannot be rewarded with her affection, love, or at the least, some happy time in the sack, in a fantasy series, then what hope is there for all the Nice Guys in the real world? We read to escape reality, not to be slapped in the face by it!

Daenerys Stormborn is the greatest character of all time. This is known. I skip to her chapters in re-reads. A lot of the best scenes in the books have featured Dany: the birth of the dragons, the Undying, the sack of Astapor, the taking of Yunkai, taming Drogon in the Fighting Pits.

I couldn't imagine the series without Dany. And, I have to say, I'm not sure why reading about her from the eyes of other people would make her more interesting? Do you just not like being in the head of a sixteen year old girl?

You are not only totally right, but also awesome.

The Undying and Drogon in the Fighting Pits are two of my favourite ASOIAF pieces.

Re: Lyanna

Do you even know how this works? If a man who spends so much time, effort, money, and who sacrifices his own well being in order to be nice to a woman cannot be rewarded with her affection, love, or at the least, some happy time in the sack, in a fantasy series, then what hope is there for all the Nice Guys in the real world? We read to escape reality, not to be slapped in the face by it!

:rofl:

Yeah my bad, I should have known. Maybe now when he comes back to Meereen, he'll buy her dinner and she should just forget his treason and whatever and give him that pity fuck after all since he's suffered and totally deserves it!

:rofl: Now there speaks someone with an unbiased opinion!

Does that mean that it's equally biased if someone declares her the worst character? ;)

We could have read about them from Jorah.

I really don't think that the head of every 16 year old is like Dany. Well, no the ones I knew. I just hate being in Dany and Sansa's head, as 16 year olds are concerned. Though there are many heads that I don't wanna be in. I don't see something wrong with that. And if we weren't inside her head, she would've been cool and fearsome, and kind. Everyone can hate a character. Don't go hard on me..

I apologise - I'm not trying to go hard on you.

Buuuuuuut ... Daenerys is an important character with an important destiny that may shape the future of Westeros. I don't want to read her story from the eyes of a middle-aged man who is lusting for her. That would be like reading Sansa from the POV of Littlefinger, or ... (note: I can't think of any male characters who are surrounded by predators, despite both Sansa and Dany having creepy protectors at some point during their stories.)

:rofl:

Yeah my bad, I should have known. Maybe now when he comes back to Meereen, he'll buy her dinner and she should just forget his treason and whatever and give him that pity fuck after all since he's suffered and totally deserves it!

She should also totally confess to him that she was so wrong in picking Daario and Hiz over him, that she was never so miserable as when Jorah was gone and she realized how awesome he is in how he treats her, and that she totally appreciates him now. Then fuck him. Then the next day fall for another guy, thus completing Jorah's justification to think that Dany is totally a bitch now so he can go Nice Guy the next target.

Does that mean that it's equally biased if someone declares her the worst character? ;)

I apologise - I'm not trying to go hard on you.

Buuuuuuut ... Daenerys is an important character with an important destiny that may shape the future of Westeros. I don't want to read her story from the eyes of a middle-aged man who is lusting for her. That would be like reading Sansa from the POV of Littlefinger, or ... (note: I can't think of any male characters who are surrounded by predators, despite both Sansa and Dany having creepy protectors at some point during their stories.)

I know. I don't cherish the lusting part. I would like to know about bear island, that's all. And I'd love a LF POV even if it includes sexual issues, as long as some of his schemes are revealed.

But... I thought the heart of ASOIAF was Hodor learning of his true heritage and becoming Emperor of the world.

You forgot to mention becoming one of the heads of the dragons along with Butterbumps and Moonboy!

Seriously though, liking a character is all about a personal perception. What is entertaining to some might not be so for others. I for one love everything related to the wall and I know many may prefer to skip this chapters.

However all the major and small characters have a role to play in the big scheme of things even if their stories can feel somewhat dettached from the rest.

As for Jorah as a point of view, haven't we had enough of older guys lusting after 16 year old girls? I think the only way to read the Essos chapter was from Danny's arch. Whether you feel it will be for good or evil she's bpund to become very important and her impact in the story wouldn't be the same if we weren't familiar with her.

You forgot to mention becoming one of the heads of the dragons along with Butterbumps and Moonboy!

Seriously though, liking a character is all about a personal perception. What is entertaining to some might not be so for others. I for one love everything related to the wall and I know many may prefer to skip this chapters.

However all the major and small characters have a role to play in the big scheme of things even if their stories can feel somewhat dettached from the rest.

As for Jorah as a point of view, haven't we had enough of older guys lusting after 16 year old girls? I think the only way to read the Essos chapter was from Danny's arch. Whether you feel it will be for good or evil she's bpund to become very important and her impact in the story wouldn't be the same if we weren't familiar with her.

In addition to the fact that this series in 70% dialogue, which means you're doing a good deal of the character building.

Wait until Tyrion meets Dany, then he can co-lust after he with Jorah. And if we get a Tyrion POV, we *will* get the lusting on the pages as well. Not only from the lust object's POV. Yay!

Seriously if you don't like Daenerys then you will have a problem given that at the heart of it ASOIAF is about the Stark children and Daenerys' attempt to regain her throne.
I would have sworn it was about saving the world from the guys we see in the very prologue. But anyway them attempting to regain the throne doesn't mean that

1. They will succeed
  2. They will be sympathetic doing it

In fact, in light of a recent discussion about Dany's narrative perspectives in another thread, I believe she will become quite unsympathetic.

I believe I could have just said: "Khellus", for the same effect.

No one is allowed to have differing opinions without being met with passive aggression or derision around here, it seems.
Oh, the irony.

Wait until Tyrion meets Dany, then he can co-lust after he with Jorah. And if we get a Tyrion POV, we *will* get the lusting on the pages as well. Not only from the lust object's POV. Yay!

*stocks up on mind bleach*

I actually hope that GRRM invents some new mode of narration where Daario, Jorah, Tyrion and the Ghost of Khal Drogo share a POV where they just mindfuck Dany for 30 pages. In fact, if that isn't the new TWoW released in the Dragons paperback, I'm going to quit this series.

You forget Victarion! Those parts are going to be hard to read with all the lust fest going around. Part of me hopes she uses Drogon to show the who's boss.

I believe I could have just said: "Khellus", for the same effect.

Oh, the irony.

I can't bloody well believe you just brought up Kellhus the Douche. :lol:

For shame. I am going to take cover ASAP.

Most of the anti-Dany posts on this forum are gross. Just go and check the "Jon's Lightbringer sacrifice" thread. I think it reached three posts (ETA: I lied; it was the second response) before someone wished for Dany to be sacrificed.

I have no problem with the poster I quoted disliking Dany. The only reason I replied to him was because I didn't understand why he'd want to read about her from another POV.

Yep this, and I remember only recently there was a discussion on how Dany was going to get dragged screaming back to Vaes Dothrak and raped, or perhaps only tortured. It was really mind-boggling.

You forget Victarion! Those parts are going to be hard to read with all the lust fest going around. Part of me hopes she uses Drogon to show the who's boss.

I do my best to forget about Victarion! You get no thanks from me for reminding me of his existence, or his future lusting potential :ack:

Most of the anti-Dany posts on this forum are gross. Just go and check the "Jon's Lightbringer sacrifice" thread. I think it reached three posts (ETA: I lied; it was the second response) before someone wished for Dany to be sacrificed.

I have no problem with the poster I quoted disliking Dany. The only reason I replied to him was because I didn't understand why he'd want to read about her from another POV.

Honest Engine? From my first read of ACoK and on, I've always thought Dany was going to be Jon's Nissa-Nissa. I guess the difference is that I'm just assuming, and not actively wishing and hoping.

EDIT: OMG POST 420!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Lyanna Stark, is this the first time in the series that we may have two ugly guys lusting after The Hot Chick? I wonder how Martin will solve this problem. Clearly, both will deserve the girl, after all ugly men deserve beautiful women. It should be obvious that Dany's personal desires are not relevant here.

Archived