So, I hate Daenerys

Thor85

ETA: UnCat hardly gets any hate on this board. Apparently, saying one unkind thing in the middle of your grief is an unforgivable sin, but hanging people up without any pretense of a trial is perfectly fine.

Brienne had a kind of a trial, a pretty fair one by Westeros standards. She was even given a chance to prove her innocence by killing Jaime even though she looked guilty as hell. Merrett Frey got a chance to speak a lot in his defence.

[quote name=

David Selig' timestamp='1340370070' post='3316154]

Brienne had a kind of a trial, a pretty fair one by Westeros standards. She was even given a chance to prove her innocence by killing Jaime even though she looked guilty as hell. Merrett Frey got a chance to speak a lot in his defence.

So, saving a complete stranger at the risk of your own life is not considered a redeeming quality any more ? (I'm talking about Cat and Sansa both).

Yep. Dany also has the same empathy quite a lot (although she does fall into the Fire & Blood antics every now and then), but like we discussed with Dany and slavery, she has a good basic morale. She *wants* to do the right thing. Cat and Sansa are the same. Arya mostly does too, although she sometimes is a bit too trigger happy. All of these characters are basically in positions where reality gets in the way of their good intentions.

Daario's the hottest. Sorry 'bout it.

I just wanted to reply to this thread to say that Beby Merax, haven't seen you in a while, and it's nice to see you're still just as enthusiastic as ever! (wish I got to see more of you outside of the Dany hate threads, lol!!)

Also, Winters Knight, LyannaStark and KittyKatKnits......When I get a chance, I was going to try bumping the "Reading Women" thread.....it looks like some of these issues are as relevant as ever and deserve discussion......(and it eases my conscience to talk about Dany outside of "love/ hate" threads :cool4: )

Eh, Mummer's farce, both of them. Brienne was assumed guilty by carrying the sword and not having Cat's daughters. She now has to go kill someone to prove them wrong. Merrett Frey was a dead man from the beginning. The conversation beforehand was for show. No way would they let him go alive. I will say that Brienne's was slightly more fair, I'll grant you that.

It's Westeros, they are not exactly big on due process there. Their form of "justice" is swift and severe. By their standards UnCat's methods is pretty reasonable.

It's Westeros, they are not exactly big on due process there. Their form of "justice" is swift and severe. By their standards UnCat's methods is pretty reasonable.

Jaghen has the right of it. Trial by combat should have been offered but still brutal by Westeros standards.

Not sure why I'm even arguing this. I'm a huge Cat fan in both her human and zombie forms.

I just wanted to reply to this thread to say that Beby Merax, haven't seen you in a while, and it's nice to see you're still just as enthusiastic as ever! (wish I got to see more of you outside of the Dany hate threads, lol!!)

They just keep drawing me back! I wanted to post on your Jon/Dany thread, but I arrived to the party way too late. I'm currently re-reading Dragons now, and I have to say, not only do i really enjoy Dany's chapters, but so far (Dany V) I think she really is doing a commendable job with Meereen. And, again, I have no clue why people think her chapters are insufferably boring, while Jon's Wildling wranglin' gets a free pass. Both characters have their highs and lows in Dragons.

UNCat: To apply normal, human logic to UnCat's decisions is to miss the point. She can't be held to the same standards as everyone else, because by her very undead existence, she defies traditional Westerosi standards.

Daenerys has a right to be proud of herself, she has achieved great things for her age, despite suffering few hardships along the way. I don't know where all this hate for her is coming from.

I admire Cat greatly, but I still think she was too harsh to Jon. She didn't have to mother him and I understand why she was resentful, but she shouldn't have blamed an innocent kid. She was too happy for him to take the black, just so he wouldn't be a threat to her own kids (even though bastards are below natural children in succession, and he was younger than Robb in any case).

Daenerys has a right to be proud of herself, she has achieved great things for her age, despite suffering few hardships along the way. I don't know where all this hate for her is coming from.

I admire Cat greatly, but I still think she was too harsh to Jon. She didn't have to mother him and I understand why she was resentful, but she shouldn't have blamed an innocent kid. She was too happy for him to take the black, just so he wouldn't be a threat to her own kids (even though bastards are below natural children in succession, and he was younger than Robb in any case).

Yes in theory bastards are taken out of the succession entirely, but given the recent example of the Blackfyre Rebellions, which spanned more than a century, almost toppled the "official" Targaryen dynasty and only ended about 5 years before Catelyn herself was born, I don't think it's quite accurate to say that Jon could never have posed a threat to Robb. Especially since he has the typical Stark look while Robb, Bran and Rickon all look like Tullys. Daemon also looked more Targ than Daeron, and look how well that ended.

Blackfyres were legitimized on Aegons deathbed, which I doubt would have happened with Jon, given how rigidly Ned sticks to rules of the realm (except having his bastard son brought up with his natural born children).

Bastards can also be legitimised when no other heirs remain, but that isn't something Catelyn could anticipate, given that she had five healthy kids and a decent husband. Was Ned ever likely to put Jon ahead of Rob?

Don't you think that treating Jon like shit (by the way, she compares him to Theon when Robb speaks of naming him his heir, post Bran & Rickon's "deaths"... and she is the reason the Blackfish thinks Jon is a Lannister pawn) is the very thing that may make him resentful enough to be a problem later ?

They just keep drawing me back! I wanted to post on your Jon/Dany thread, but I arrived to the party way too late. I'm currently re-reading Dragons now, and I have to say, not only do i really enjoy Dany's chapters, but so far (Dany V) I think she really is doing a commendable job with Meereen. And, again, I have no clue why people think her chapters are insufferably boring, while Jon's Wildling wranglin' gets a free pass. Both characters have their highs and lows in Dragons.

Oh no! You're not too late to the party! By all means you and anyone else is more than welcome to join in (though I admit, it's a dense thread). I'm just trying to make an effort not to get too involved in "Dany hate threads" since they always manage to get everyone's blood boiled (but I really love discussing her arc, clearly :laugh: ) It's just too bad that the "hate threads" predominate.

This one had so far been less about hate and more about other things tho! Which is nice.

I rather like hate threads if people are active in them since it can be interesting to ask people who say "I hate character X" and ask them "Why?" and they respond something like "Cos he/she is stupid and makes stupid decisions" and from there you can break it down into what stupid decisions and what particularly offends them, which is often a combination of things they didn't get, strange interpretations, lack of context, personal beefs, fan theories or the wrong expectations.

For the record, I don't hate any character. Not even Victarion Greyjoy! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think that when she's not pursuing her quest for vengeance she reads all the kids at the inn bedtime stories?

She wears a nice little mouth scarf so that the kids don't have to see her hideous neck wound. All the kids love Auntie Stoneheart, even if her voice is weird and whispery. You should hear her tell the story about Jonquil and Florian. And then she kisses them goodnight. Her kisses are weird and tickly and cold, but nobody minds, because she's so nice! She even painted up her face with those funny red stripes, to make the children laugh!

Wait, those aren't painted? :stillsick:

Archived