Exercise and Fitness V

needle

No. Hypertrophy (building muscle) happens in the 6-12 rep region. :)

Right, so then, like, 5 sets of 8 at 30 lbs would build, whereas 3 sets of 12 at 20 would help me keep it but not make me much stronger? This seems to be what I learned in my weightlifting class at college...lots of years ago.

I don't think it works like that. You'd be working on endurance, yes, but I am not sure you wouldn't lose strength/power in those muscles because you're not pushing them to be strong in the endurance range. So, no, you're not really "maintaining" your muscles, in that sense.

But also remember that you shouldn't be focusing solely on one regime. You want to train your neurological systems to respond quickly and harness muscle fiber (low reps), but you also want your muscle cells themselves to develop metabolically (hypertrophy range) and you want some endurance around the joints, too. So, change it up every other week (or whatever) and work all the ranges. :)

I did look at that website someone here linked, but you have to register to even just see anything, so I didn't.

Bah, sorry about that. I forgot you had to register to see everything since whenever I go on the site I'm already auto-logged in.

What I'm about to post is actually taken straight from that site and seems to deal with what you're asking about, so without further ado...

Picking a GOAL

Strength - 5 reps or 30 seconds

Conquering the challenge for strength only requires a few reps or shortest amount of time. This is simply to prove you are strong enough to perform the exercise. Trainees should be able to reach higher levels training strength.

Size - 10 reps or 60 seconds

Hypertrophy and some strength are simplified into the category of size. This is the optimum rep range for putting on muscle.

Endurance - 20 reps or 90 seconds

While strength and size gains are possible, this range is more for muscular endurance, body conditioning and cardio. Not all exercises will be performed at this level.

Setting the Difficulty

Novice = 3 sets - Where beginners should start for building strength. It's also a good range for someone already training who wants to add something extra.

Intermediate = 5 sets - Best range for strength and size. A fantastic workout can be performed with five sets. The average trainee should get a good workout from this set range.

Advanced = 10 sets - Obviously the most difficult range, and therefore produces the most gains (strength, conditioning, fat loss). Mainly for the advanced trainee, also good for someone after serious fat loss.

There is nothing wrong with using different rep and set ranges. All of the above is a simplified example. All goal ranges are good for fat burning. The higher rep and set ranges are most effective for this. Rest time should be 60-120 seconds between exercises. Use longer rest for strength exercises.

Examples

3 x 5 or 30 sec.

3 sets of 5 reps or 30 seconds would be best for a beginner wanting to know where he or she stands with the 20 level challenge.

10 x 10 or 60 sec.

01 sets of 10 reps or 60 seconds for maximum muscle gain

5 x 20 or 90 sec.

5 sets of 20 reps or 90 seconds

The time incrementations (30, 60, 90) deal with static position exercises, like the ones you may already be doing in yoga/pilates. I think this is a really good guide for setting up your ideal set/rep range except for one thing. It says 'advanced' is 10 sets. I think that is definitely a bit much, 5 sets is the highest I would go.

I have a question for the guys, particularly ones in the US.

I have an underwear problem. That is, with the combination of the hard water here and working out six days a week, it seems like I'm having to toss out one pair per week. Is there any readily available brand that will hold up a little better without getting ripped or holey? Preferably something with a show of support for the boys, so to speak.

Is this something I'll just have to deal with, buying a new pack every couple months?

Nichole -- I don't mind talking about, but I don't want to impose on others. I'm going to just put the details behind a spoiler tag to spare those who have no desire to read (or reread) about my alien invasion (or, as Stego calls them, my "snot babies.")

SPOILER: details
I have some crazy something growing in one of my sinuses. That particular sinus (the sphenoid) happens to abut my optic nerve and various other "important" anatomical bits like the brain stem (who needs that, anyway?), the blood supply to my brain stem, my pituitary gland, etc. And this thing, whatever it is, has eaten away my skull in the area and is now trying to crush all of those poor bystanders. Oh, and it might have dissolved the protective layers of my brain, too. Since I don't wish to go blind, or drop down any rungs the phylogenetic tree due to brain damage, surgery it is.

As for causes -- well, that's where the alien bit comes in. They think that it is caused by a fungus (this has not been confirmed). So, if you've been having chronic sinus problems, I would suggest going to an ENT to check it out. I would be very surprised if you have something similar to my sphenoid thing -- my MRI and CT scans are a hot item for teaching ENT and opthamology residents, which leads me to believe that I'm just as special as my mom always said I was -- but you could have a chronic sinus condition, caused by an allergic reaction (mine was caused by the Apartment of Doom and the mold therein), and it would probably behoove you to get it cleared up. I am not looking forward to having the inside of my head scoured, but it beats the shit out of the alternatives.

ETA: oh yes, the only indication that something was wrong was that I spontaneously developed double vision. If that ever happens (and you can't blame it on being blind drunk at the time), get yourself to a doctor immediately.

Nichole, I will never stop working out. :P I will probably up the intensity/volume of my cardio but otherwise it will stay the same. It's the manipulation of energy in versus energy out that changes your body.

X-Ray, thanks for the support. I will be eating 6 small meals and supplementing fiber to control pangs.

Ztem, yes I know I'll lose some strength. I just want to maintain most of what I have gained this summer. I will be eating 60% protein on my cut, I think. As for your underwear; sorry man. Maybe you need to buy a higher quality of underwear? Mine lasts for years.

Mina, I have no doubt I will never want to see broccoli again in my life. thank Heinlein I never get sick of chicken breasts.

Luke, I am so impatient that I think 1-2lbs is simply not enough for me to be able to stand it. I will probably aim at 3-4. And yeah, I expect to lose some muscle. sigh. At two months, that would average to about.... 28lbs or so. If I can drop more than 25lbs of fat in those two months and then go back to lifting hard, I'd be thrilled.

The numbers folks are talking about with regards to reps and such is all really, really basic. And a lot of it is.....questionable based upon modern techniques. Regardless, it works for the beginner.

That sounds crazy Xray, good luck with the surgery!

I feel like having those numbers available gives me a way to structure my workouts. And really, I don't know about everyone else, but without a structure I can't stay consistent at all. It also helps me to stay motivated b/c you can see your gains. My dips have been progressing but everything else is pretty much stuck right now.

So, my roommate broke his write awhile back and he had to have surgery and then his right hand/forearm was in a cast for awhile. Now he is out of the cast and done his physical therapy and he wanted to start lifting again. He tried to start out with a 30 lbs dumbbell for curls but couldn't manage it, so he a 3x12 curls using a 20 lb dumbbell. That was all he did. The next day he said to me he wasn't sore and asked if I had any suggestions. I suggested doing 3 exercises at 3x12 w/ the same weight instead of just the 1, or exhausting the bicep first with back exercises like rows and pulldowns/pullups and then doing curls. So does anyone have any suggestions for him?

Maybe you need to buy a higher quality of underwear? Mine lasts for years.

Or learn to sew. :P

Good luck to all with what you're doing at the moment (including Xray zapping the aliens). I think my workout this evening's going to be lighter than I'd like, due to a combination of my dodgy knee playing up again and monthly issues - things I don't want to be doing while dizzy and spaced out include dropping a 5kg weight on my toe.

Xray--wow, that is an amazing story--you must be itching to just get the surgery done! Do you have a good support system for your recovery in the area? Please don't hesitate to PM if there is anything I can do to help (I'd be happy to make Trader Joes & Barnes & Noble runs for you if that would help!).

Thanks Ztem & Xray re: Squats

I know its probably silly, but using a bar with weights makes me nervous when I'm working out alone, simply because when I was much younger I twisted my back rather badly doing that (probably too much weight and got off balance)--I recovered easily enough then (youth!) but if I did that again it may not be so easy! So I'm looking for other options for the moment, at least until I feel confident enough to use the bar again.

THe gym seems to have lots of other things--various machines that might relate, as well as dumbells and medicine balls (I don't think I've seen kettleballs exactly)

Since it seems to agree (everyone but this trainer at least) seemed to think more weight is better than more reps. I'll try and work with the dumbells for now and see how it goes.

AE--there are a lot of decent websites out there showing resistance band workouts. here's one: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworko...esistance_3.htm

You can stand on them to pull them up or out for arms, or stand/squat while standing on them for legs. Also, you can shut them in the top of a door frame or around a door knob to pull them toward you for other arm/back/upper body work.

Thanks Ztem & Xray re: Squats

I know its probably silly, but using a bar with weights makes me nervous when I'm working out alone, simply because when I was much younger I twisted my back rather badly doing that (probably too much weight and got off balance)--I recovered easily enough then (youth!) but if I did that again it may not be so easy! So I'm looking for other options for the moment, at least until I feel confident enough to use the bar again.

Not silly, good to be cautious when dealing with heavy weights imo.

Capo,

That fact that he went back and did curls on his first day back just goes to show that he has no concept of weight training. Invest in Starting Strength, a book by Mark Rippetoe.

Archived