Exercise and Fitness VI

Greywolf2375

Nice job seastar, that sounds like a lot of fun! I think one of my friends has a physioball. I'm going to give it a try!

Heh--the first time I tried it I ended up doing a very comic floor splat on my ass right in front of the biggest crush of my life. It was a blush moment if ever there was one. Especially because I went at it in the spirit that I do all things, with gusto and energy---but what it really requires is patience and very slow motion. Sloooow doooown. That's my advice.

eta: and make sure there's not sharp furniture corners anywhere too close!

I've found a new gym and I think I've fallen slightly in love.

Lifting platform? Check

Numerous freeweights? Check

Rings? Check

Numerous pullup bars? Check

Kettlebells? Check

Easy access to outdoors for sprints and jump rope? Check

Complete absence of useless resistance machines? Check

Only cardio machine to be found is the concept 2 rower? Check

Absence of prissy gym staff trying to force you into compliance with ineffective yet quiet and non-threatening "exercise?" Check.

I'm all set.

delts yesterday, biceps/forearms today. Thankfully I don't need to lift my arms above my shoulders for the next 17 hours. Cuz I couldn't if ya asked me.

Starting to repeat some of the exercises we have done previously so I can start making comparisons to what I had done before. Thankfully, I saw a significant difference in number of reps I can complete and the weight I complete them at.

Tomorrow is tri's, so we'll see what we can do for 2/3 of my arms.

I've found a new gym and I think I've fallen slightly in love.

Lifting platform? Check

Numerous freeweights? Check

Rings? Check

Numerous pullup bars? Check

Kettlebells? Check

Easy access to outdoors for sprints and jump rope? Check

Complete absence of useless resistance machines? Check

Only cardio machine to be found is the concept 2 rower? Check

Absence of prissy gym staff trying to force you into compliance with ineffective yet quiet and non-threatening "exercise?" Check.

I'm all set.

What about utterly wank dance/trance and pop music? That's what put me off gyms for good. Turn that **** off!

Heh--the first time I tried it I ended up doing a very comic floor splat on my ass right in front of the biggest crush of my life. It was a blush moment if ever there was one. Especially because I went at it in the spirit that I do all things, with gusto and energy---but what it really requires is patience and very slow motion. Sloooow doooown. That's my advice.

eta: and make sure there's not sharp furniture corners anywhere too close!

Falling on my ass will be part of the fun! One downside from burning off most of my excess weight is that I hardly have any cushion around my bum. I could use some extra padding to prevent future butt bruises. I will definitely be going slowly, pretty much following your 1,2,3 step guide. Saw a video online that was inline with your steps. Trying to jump right onto the ball seems like it would be just asking for a disaster.

What about utterly wank dance/trance and pop music? That's what put me off gyms for good. Turn that **** off!

iPods are hard! :D

I've got shoulders/triceps today. I'm getting myself pumped up as we speak. My goal today is a sitting military press of 100lb dumbbells. I hit 95 for a set of 8 last week, so I am hopeful today.

Today, I celebrated an anniversary down at Crossfit Toronto. Pumped out a dirty thirty-five, and absolutely destroyed my previous time. By almost fifteen minutes. Incredibly pumped at the moment!

20" Box Jumps, Jumping Pull Ups, Kettlebell Swings, Walking Lunges, Sit Ups, Push Press, Back Extensions, Wall Ball Shots, Burpees, Rope Jumps.

I thought I was going to pass out and hurl when I started jumping rope. Those burpees totally destroyed my energy. Ended up getting my rope all tangled, and showing those fit mutha-fuckers how to properly swear. Finally hurled my jump rope at a wall, and grabbed a new one, and got back at it. Managed to finish by timing my jumps with the the curseword 'Foda-se'. A couple other trainers heard, came over, and started screaming encouragement. It was pretty fuckin' awesome.

Ow ow ow ow ow! My left leg kills when I put weight on it, specifically in the groin area. I just did some sprints and an old injury started acting up, but I didn't feel it until I was walking over to the hill for my hill runs. Ow, it hurts to walk.

I slacked off today and missed my 2nd cardio/leg work out for the week.

I'm going on a mini-vacation tomorrow for the weekend. No working out to make it up. So 3 days this week will have to do.

Monday I'm back to UB and the 'routine'...

Ran a time trial today and it was HORRIBLE. When I first moved up here, I was struggling a lot and was told that it usually took up to three months to acclimate. Well, I've been here almost three months and I've been regaining slow endurance- 11 mile run last week no problem- but I still don't have any speed. What was a pedestrian pace in Virginia leaves me gasping for breath here and extremely discouraged. I was on schedule to run a marathon at 8 min/mile before I moved- and now that pace feels like a struggle for just a few miles.

The whole thing feels like a waste of time.

It's going to get worse before it gets better though- if things go through, we're going to continue moving up to ~8500 ft.

Those of you who do Crossfit- do you have to go to the gym for it every day or are there some workouts you can do from home?

How long would it take for you to drive to a lower elevation place to run? If you are curious, you might want to try running at a lower elevation, ideally as close as practicable to where you're going to run the marathon, and see what your times are now. If your performance is actually worse, the training at altitude may not be working well for you, so going up to 8500 may actually be counterproductive. I've read that a potential benefit of training at altitude is that your body will increase the concentration of red blood cells in your blood, which theorectically would allow you to deliver more oxygen to your muscles. However, if you cannot train very hard while at altitude, the loss in performance from reduced intensity training can outweigh the benefits of increased hematocrit. This site provides some explanations, and it seems to makes sense.

my weight training routine is suffering a bit due to weight loss. I'm down 30 lbs total from where I started.

I look a ton better than I did, but I can't bench 235 anymore. Another ten pounds down and I'll start working on adding muscle mass.

wake-n-run tommorrow, 7AM sharp.

I agree. Gyms are supposed to be silent. Those who want to listen to music while exercising can just bring their own, and everybody will be happier.

I suffered what must probably have been the most stupid workout accident ever yesterday night, when doing power cleans for the first time in a few weeks (I've had a rest from power cleans because of an ankle injury). I underestimated how much my strength had improved since the last time, and at my very first warmup lift at 40 kg, I used way too much force, and the bar shot up and hit the tip of my chin instead of landing nicely on my shoulders. It didn't hurt all that much at the time, but this morning I have ugly bruises on my chin and parts of the jaw. When one of my colleagues asked if I had been in a fight, I told her that no, I had just thrown 40 kg of metal at my own face.

Archived