Exercise and Fitness VI

Greywolf2375

Managed to set a new PB deadlift today at 175kg. I was aiming to break the magical 180kg/400lb barrier but just couldn't quite get the damn bar moving. Plus, my form on that 175 lift was attrocious. Anyway, I'm happy that I'm improving even if not quite as fast as I'd like.

Huge grats, man! Now eat heavy and sleep hard and come back with another personal best next week!

That's precisely the point behind the program: Muscle confusion. I absolutely love it. I'll be stepping it up even more now that black belt training is gearing up. P90X makes training easy. The plyometrics DVD is worth the price of the program alone.

And Frisky Trisky, I read your posts all the time. You are like part of the top 25 personalities on the Board. Silly boy.

Gonna have to steal my sisters copies - this is the ame thing she and my brother in law said as well. The workouts themselves are great, but the stretching and yoga as well make it worth the price of admission on their own. Now I just need to get a little more time in the day to work out with the bastard, do PX90, cardio and eat.

oh, and work.

Managed to set a new PB deadlift today at 175kg. I was aiming to break the magical 180kg/400lb barrier but just couldn't quite get the damn bar moving. Plus, my form on that 175 lift was attrocious. Anyway, I'm happy that I'm improving even if not quite as fast as I'd like.

Nice man. 4 plates will happen soon.

In other news Smolov is kicking my ass.

ARRRR!

Them PX90 things is online for enterprising pirates!

ARRRR!

If it exists, there is probably a torrent of it. But if you can't torrent it the videos are on youtube, lol. I think it comes with some kind of guide or something though, which tells you when to do which portion of the workouts.

But anyway, I have a question about deadlifting and squatting.

1.) So when it comes to squatting, when I do it my shoulders start to hurt. It isn't because of the weight I'm holding, it is because of how I am holding it. Putting my arms behind my back like that to hold the bar hurts, any suggestions? My other questions deal with the deadlift.

2.) So now onto deadlifting. Is it that important to use a mixed-grip? I really prefer to do an overhand grip with both of my hands.

3.) When you start the lift, should your feet be flat on the ground or should you be on the front (ball?) of your feet and then transfer to being flat-footed? I've been doing it on flat feet.

4.) When I start the lift, my knees are over the bar and my butt is low. I am under the impression that this is a normal deadlift, not romanian or stiff-legged and that this gets the most work out of the hamstrings and the least work out of the lower back as far as deadlift variations go. Is this correct?

5.) I bring the bar down to the ground after every rep. Sound good?

6.) My knees are about shoulder length apart and my hands are a small bit farther apart than that. Does this sound right?

If it exists, there is probably a torrent of it. But if you can't torrent it the videos are on youtube, lol. I think it comes with some kind of guide or something though, which tells you when to do which portion of the workouts.

But anyway, I have a question about deadlifting and squatting.

1.) So when it comes to squatting, when I do it my shoulders start to hurt. It isn't because of the weight I'm holding, it is because of how I am holding it. Putting my arms behind my back like that to hold the bar hurts, any suggestions? My other questions deal with the deadlift.

2.) So now onto deadlifting. Is it that important to use a mixed-grip? I really prefer to do an overhand grip with both of my hands.

3.) When you start the lift, should your feet be flat on the ground or should you be on the front (ball?) of your feet and then transfer to being flat-footed? I've been doing it on flat feet.

4.) When I start the lift, my knees are over the bar and my butt is low. I am under the impression that this is a normal deadlift, not romanian or stiff-legged and that this gets the most work out of the hamstrings and the least work out of the lower back as far as deadlift variations go. Is this correct?

5.) I bring the bar down to the ground after every rep. Sound good?

6.) My knees are about shoulder length apart and my hands are a small bit farther apart than that. Does this sound right?

1.) You have poor shoulder flexibilty. Try taking your grip further out.

2.) A mixed grip is only used because most people cannot hold onto heavy weights with double overhand. If you can hold on to it then by all means use double overhand.

3.) Flat footed.

4.) Why does it matter? But a normal deadlift will use a lot of lower back.

5.) Yes.

6.) I have about 12 inches in between my feet while deadlifting. Maybe a little closer. Hands are as close in as possible without getting in the way of the legs.

1.) You have poor shoulder flexibilty. Try taking your grip further out.

2.) A mixed grip is only used because most people cannot hold onto heavy weights with double overhand. If you can hold on to it then by all means use double overhand.

3.) Flat footed.

4.) Why does it matter? But a normal deadlift will use a lot of lower back.

5.) Yes.

6.) I have about 12 inches in between my feet while deadlifting. Maybe a little closer. Hands are as close in as possible without getting in the way of the legs.

What he said. :D

You don't really need the guide.

I've had a hard time getting any portion of the workout videos off of youtube just so that I might share them with others online.

Skipping? :stunned:

Is this like......skipping through a meadow tossing flowers everywhere? Because that actually sounds kind of fun.

Somehow, I am still the worst skipper on the face of planet earth, or beyond. It is rather embarrassing.

I go through my workouts, and once I get to the skipping portion, it just ruins everything. Bah.

Must. Be. Better!!

WTF?

Skipping is a workout now? Are you fucking with us? Do you mean skipping workouts?

You are talking about the mode of transportation 7yr old girls use while carrying baskets of flowers while singing Tra-La-La-La and shit, right?

WTF?

Skipping is a workout now? Are you fucking with us? Do you mean skipping workouts?

You are talking about the mode of transportation 7yr old girls use while carrying baskets of flowers while singing Tra-La-La-La and shit, right?

Maybe he means skipping rope? like boxers do?

I love skipping. I hope I understood you correctly what skipping is, but I do really love to do it. I'm going to do some skipping with dog later.

I added weight for my squats today. Not much, but it felt good, and I may just add a little more when I do them again. I tried the dead lift for the first time last week. Not much weight, because I'm working on form right now, but I never would have tried without this thread.

:lol: I love these responses.

I did not work out today. I still can't wear anything but a sandal on my left foot. If the swelling doesn't go down by tomorrow I am contacting a doctor, because this is annoying. :| I went to pilates yesterday, but I wanted to do weights today and you have to wear closed-toed shoes in the weight room, for obvious reasons.

Hell yeah, ten pounds lighter in the last month. Doing 40 minutes of lifting three to four times a week. I wish I could do more, but I have circumstances limiting my attention. I want to go into the teaching year with a good routine so I don't lose it when I get back to work.

212 when I started, 202 now. I feel better too. I'm going to get down to 185 and then focus on strength from there.

Hell yeah, ten pounds lighter in the last month. Doing 40 minutes of lifting three to four times a week. I wish I could do more, but I have circumstances limiting my attention. I want to go into the teaching year with a good routine so I don't lose it when I get back to work.

212 when I started, 202 now. I feel better too. I'm going to get down to 185 and then focus on strength from there.

Good job!

It's hard with a little one, but glad you are finding the time.

Archived