Sean Bean possibly cast as Ned

daimonion

But do they have inside info or are they just spreading the WiC rumour?

As Ran says, that's the question ;)

If Variety and the HR don't have it now then I'm guessing it's going to be next week before any official announcement.

This could be a very mistaken piece of gossip, and I've been told from others on this board from the UK that The Daily Mail isn't exactly the height of journalistic integrity, but their gossip page is reporting this:

Again, this is a gossip page, so I don't know where they got this info or if it's reliable.

I can't comment on the truthfulness of the gossip part, I can point out there's several bits they do have wrong:

1) there has never been a 'computer game' of ASoI&F, although it has been optioned.

2) if HBO does greenlight production, they'll shoot a total of 12 1hr episodes, including the pilot, not 9 episodes.

I had pictured John Lynch as Ned. Look at him as Nemo in the BBC 2005 "Bleak House" and I think he had Ned cold. The gaunt haunted look, yet powerful all the same. Here's a photo of Lynch in the role. Ironically enough he just finished up "Black Death" with Bean.

That guy looks more like Damphair to me than Ned.

I sent an E-Mail off to GRRM, hoping for confirmation on this fact.

Nothing much more to do, I guess, except hope and scan IMDB.

I wouldn't hold my breath. GRRM has exercised sensible caution about saying anything about the project. I think he waited a couple of days after HBO confirmed McCarthy and Dinklage before blogging about it.

Though as a Sharpe (books, not sure about TV) and LotR movie fan, I suspect this news would meet with his approval ;)

Isn't Ned supposed to be like around ~35 years of age max?

Sean's ~50 years old according to Wikipedia.

I think this point has been raised several times.

The idea is that all the characters are going to be around 2-5 years older than they are in the books. With a bit of make-up and a hair job, Sean Bean should do fine in the role. Peter Dinklage is also about 10-12 years older than Tyrion should be, going strictly by the books.

Isn't Ned supposed to be like around ~35 years of age max?

Sean's ~50 years old according to Wikipedia.

In the casting side that I pulled, Ned is described as in his 40s, and later, during the face-to-face confrontation with Jaime, the writers have Jaime 'looking down on the older man.' I think Bean's perfect for the role. I think, too, about the HP movies. Alan Rickman IS the perfect Severus Snape to the vast majority of HP fans, though book-Snape is in his 30s and Alan Rickman is 62 yrs old.

I'm not sure when they update, but the TV pages on The Hollywood Reporter and Variety will likely be where the news appears officially for the first time, so it's a good idea to check on those occasionally.

However, HBO may decide to hold off on an official announcement until next week or Comic-Con or until they've sealed negotiations with a few other actors so they can do them all in one big hit. Having those pages open and hitting F5 every 10 minutes could be quite tedious ;)

I looked at the Comic-Con schedule, and outside of the True Blood panel, HBO doesn't seem to have any planned events at the convention. I suppose they might well have a press conference lined up looking at upcoming projects, but can't find any evidence of it. So I wouldn't be too expectant of news from that quarter.

I'm also not buying the Comic Con holdup. As WiC/Halfhand has suggested, it'd just be weird for a series that hasn't been ordered yet. I'm not saying I wouldn't be thrilled (esp if they also just said "Screw it, make us 12 shows"), but I'm not holding my breath for Comic Con announcements.

I looked at the Comic-Con schedule, and outside of the True Blood panel, HBO doesn't seem to have any planned events at the convention. I suppose they might well have a press conference lined up looking at upcoming projects, but can't find any evidence of it. So I wouldn't be too expectant of news from that quarter.

True, but sometimes shows do issue press releases around the same time as Comic-Con to capitalise on the higher-than-normal interesting in all things geekery from the media.

I guess we'll see :)

I love that WiC is being touted as a somewhat legitimate source now. It's a testament to Winter's dedication and excellent work on the blog.

Sean Bean of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Boromir fame, may have landed a role in another book adaptation by an “R.R.†author according to The excellent site WinterIsComing.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/07/17...ame-of-thrones/

Archived