Harvard professor arrested

IheartTesla

There is a good Slate article that has a great summary of the Mas. laws involved in this case. Basically the officer was required by law to provide Gates what he was demanding and there is no way a disorderly conduct charge could stick to Gates becasue of the place of his arrest and the speach involved in the "disorderly" charge.

It's a quick and good read.

I'm going with abuse of power but not necessarily racisim, because I don't if the cop was abusing power becasue Gates was black or just becasue the cop was pissed off.

A good article? It was written by Brian Palmer, "a freelance writer living in New York City". It has some legal analysis in it. Is our freelance writer living in New York City an attorney? Is an attorney who is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts? Is Mr. Palmer qualified to give an interpretation of Massachusetts disorderly conduct law? When was the last time that this freelance writer tried a disorderly conduct in Massachusetts?

There are not exactly rhetorical questions; if the guy is qualified to write opinions on legal issues, then more power to him. If he's not, then, no, this is not a good article. His knowledge of the issues presented are no better than most of the posters on this thread, and worse than some of the others.

I've got nothing more to say on this thread, except that I'm helping to drive it toward closure.

Ditto...

As an exposed Black racist, any further participation would be pointless. LOLOLOLOLOL

It's illuminating to be told that all the years, decades and centuries of dying, marching, protesting and fighting against racism on this continent really just was a cover and its the Black minority here that are truly racist. Since we have the unmitigated gall to complain that racism actually happens. Why ... just listen to those speeches by MLK Jr. Making all those accusations accusing White people of doing racist things with NO PROOF. How dare he ? We can keep doing right on down the list, the temerity of Black people .... smdh. We just had no clue ..... Racist actions were never the issue, it was US!!!! Wow....

oh, fuck ... forgot that sarcasm font again.

Stego,

What is to stop any minority from yelling racism in any situation, no matter how illogical?

If we are to believe (GASP!!!) a fucking white guy in any situation, would this not be the one?

*****Scot, I know you live in the state with a confederate flag, but as much as you might wish it different, race is the only important issue in this case.

:rofl:

That was about the worst attempt at baiting I've seen in a quite a while.

Wait, so black people can't be racist? :P

Sword, you have a lot of hate in you for whitey, man. At some point, those of us who aren't spending our lives trying to keep you down are going to get annoyed by your shtick. All people are fallible, man. All people have bad moments. But all white folk are not Mark Fuhrman.

In the immortal words of KRS ONE "Many whites died for civil rights."

ETA: Scot, I wasn;t baiting, man. I'm serious as a heart attack. You steer away form race issues like a Southerner seeing snow on the road. You've been doing it for years. Like saying this case isn't about race. Fuck sake, man, you can argue the Civil War for days and refuse to touch on the race aspects of it. I don't think you're a racist, man, I think you're scared to have an opinion as white man.

I've got nothing more to say on this thread, except that I'm helping to drive it toward closure.

Trying to get a thread about a black man closed?

You racist.

There's no evidence race had anything to do with the Officers actions.

Absence of evidence isnt evidence of absence. You just have to have some irrational belief based on nothing tangible that the officer acted in bad faith.

I am not sorry I started this thread. I think we all learned something about the world at large and ourselves. My final thoughts a la Jerry Springer are : "The Rashomon effect lives on"

Absence of evidence isnt evidence of absence. You just have to have some irrational belief based on nothing tangible that the officer acted in bad faith.

Wait, so because there's no evidence of racism, we assume he's racist?

Yea, we won! We won!

A reinforced stereotype of police (power trippin' or racist, take your pick) due to a stupid, ill-advised arrest.

And enough charges of racism to cover about.. everyone.

Great prizes.

It's illuminating to be told that all the years, decades and centuries of dying, marching, protesting and fighting against racism on this continent really just was a cover and its the Black minority here that are truly racist. Since we have the unmitigated gall to complain that racism actually happens. Why ... just listen to those speeches by MLK Jr. Making all those accusations accusing White people of doing racist things with NO PROOF. How dare he ? We can keep doing right on down the list, the temerity of Black people .... smdh. We just had no clue ..... Racist actions were never the issue, it was US!!!! Wow....

I've agreed with you for the most part in this thread, but when you get angry you tend to go overboard.

I've experienced racism directed towards me from people of all different colors. Not to the extent you have, but I've still experienced. By far, by far, the most racist people I've ever encountered personally were black. To say that because black people fought for their rights, fought against racism, means none of them can ever be racist is just silly. To play this outrage at you being called a racist is just silly, because like it or not you are one. Not because you're black. But because you're racist. You might not want to be, but it's been ingrained into you.

MLK asked us to judge folks by the content of their character. Sword, you took sides based on color. As such, you are guilty of racism.

Sword, does some part of you hate that we have a black president? Does it somehow lessen your feeling of martyrdom?

ETA: Just for the sake of discussion, I'm of Jewish descent. You can get in line behind me in the outraged by history department. KTHX.

ETA: Just for the sake of discussion, I'm of Jewish descent. You can get in line behind me in the outraged by history department. KTHX.

So you've been wrongfully detained by the police multiple times because of your Jewish descent?

I do think that Sword's personal experiences here warrant more than a little consideration when talking about this. Jesus.

Why?

Two reasons.

One, if you've been wrongfully detained by the police solely based on the pigmentation of your skin, which is a not-at-all uncommon experience for black men, then its quite understandable to make the conclusion that in this case the arrest was racially motivated.

Two, its a painful fucking experience and is deserves some sensitivity.

ETA: and apologies if I'm speaking for anybody.

A good article? It was written by Brian Palmer, "a freelance writer living in New York City". It has some legal analysis in it. Is our freelance writer living in New York City an attorney? Is an attorney who is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts? Is Mr. Palmer qualified to give an interpretation of Massachusetts disorderly conduct law? When was the last time that this freelance writer tried a disorderly conduct in Massachusetts?

There are not exactly rhetorical questions; if the guy is qualified to write opinions on legal issues, then more power to him. If he's not, then, no, this is not a good article. His knowledge of the issues presented are no better than most of the posters on this thread, and worse than some of the others.

The legal sources cited are the MA ACLU as well, so they might have a different view of the law than what is normally practiced.

Archived