The "new" definition of Racism or

SwordoftheMorning

In response to various responses to my first post, it really says a lot about how deeply racism has permeated our society if children can so nonchalantly spout such hate speech. The kid in grade school who ran up to me, specifically, and repeated that awful rhyme obviously knew enough to direct that little poem at one of the only (if not the only - don't quite remember) East Asian in the entire school. And what kills me about that incident from middle school is that only two people (the friends who told the teacher) thought that the situation was clearly wrong enough for reprimand. Most people either thought it was no big deal or there wasn't anything wrong with it at all. His posse of friends actually confronted me and acted as if I was in the wrong and should be the one apologising. Even just thinking about that incident makes me both embarrassed and angry all over again and it was years ago.

Aye. I think the problem is that so often there's an implicit societal approval (or lack of overt societal disapproval) that reinforces the behavior.

It's like an intermediate level of racism between Skinhead-Burn-The-N****rs Insanity and not racist. Where it's not so much hate as a plethora of stereotypes and a sort of lack of empathy or caring that what your saying is offensive, mostly supported by the fact that the people around you think it's ok to say that kind of shit.

How are you going to 'make it go away'? Its never going to happen. You can't 'outlaw racism'. It's an ideology, and will always exist among the lower IQ bracket while our societies have differences in appearance. I don't understand what a minority expects 'white people' to do about white racists. So long as they don't break the law, we can't touch them. We aren't responsible for their actions, and insinuating we are is akin to that 'Eurabia' bullcrap.

Er... when did I say that you were? Just recognise the fact that these conditions and situations exist and educate your children well, that's all I ask. And I mean "go away" as in educating as many people as I can and hoping they educate their children. Racism has become less prevalent over the generations because people have made efforts to make it happen.

To put it simply, I DON'T CARE about Professor Gates getting arrested. I DONT CARE about how a girl asked Sword if he needed any help while in a bookstore. Why? Because they are miniscule events, which have no influence on me, have nothing to do with me, and have nothing to do with my skin colour. I refuse to be responsible for the 1% of America who happen to be extremely stupid and deluded individuals. Thats why i'm tired of reading about this in the news. Lets talk about something MORE IMPORTANT.

What do you mean by "more important"? They may not affect you as an individual, but it these issues are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to continued racial issues in our country. It's rather dismissive and selfish of you to shrug it off just because you haven't experienced it. And I have a feeling it's not as small as 1% of society.

How are you going to 'make it go away'? Its never going to happen. You can't 'outlaw racism'. It's an ideology, and will always exist among the lower IQ bracket while our societies have differences in appearance. I don't understand what a minority expects 'white people' to do about white racists. So long as they don't break the law, we can't touch them.

What you can do is not accept racism. Nor tacitly approve of it by ignoring it when you see it.

The key is reinforcing the idea that we, as a society, do not accept this kind of shit.

You don't need to arrest people or some such to do this.

Er... when did I say that you were? Just recognise the fact that these conditions and situations exist and educate your children well, that's all I ask. And I mean "go away" as in educating as many people as I can and hoping they educate their children. Racism has become less prevalent over the generations because people have made efforts to make it happen.

I wasnt really referring to you, its more the constant barrage of 'racist america' news stories, personalities like Gates, etc. On more than a few occasions during conversations with black friends i felt as if they were blaming me for the slave trade or something.

Educating? Have you ever tried educating Racists? I have. Its pretty pointless. As for my kids, of course i'll teach them. Racism is however, in my experience a natural human reaction to the 'unkown'. Its very easy to hate what is different, and feel close to what is like you. Fortunately, most of us are intelligent enough to see through this, but for those who arent, there's little hope.

What do you mean by "more important"? They may not affect you as an individual, but it these issues are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to continued racial issues in our country. It's rather dismissive and selfish of you to shrug it off just because you haven't experienced it. And I have a feeling it's not as small as 1% of society.

I've experienced racism, though nothing major. In all honesty, as long as it wasn't violent or anything-else which actually effects me i could've cared less. I'm pretty sure actual racists number something like 1% of the population. Unless they are all hiding out in secret underground nazi lairs.

What you can do is not accept racism. Nor tacitly approve of it by ignoring it when you see it.

The key is reinforcing the idea that we, as a society, do not accept this kind of shit.

You don't need to arrest people or some such to do this.

We DO condemn racism. Seriously, who in this thread does not condemn racism? Please tell me?

We DO condemn racism. Seriously, who in this thread does not condemn racism? Please tell me?

You'd be surprised.

It's the little stuff that usually gets by.

Your problem is that you seem to think racism is only the big stuff, like a lynching.

More often, it's the small stuff that the people around you think "Eh, it's fine".

That is a popular precursor. I've also heard that living in x or working at y made them racist - so it's that race's own fault, not theirs.

I live in an area with lots of immigrants, recent and non-so-recent, and sometimes people will confide with me that they're ok with Group C, T, X but those stinking Zs are just scum...

You'd be surprised.

It's the little stuff that usually gets by.

Your problem is that you seem to think racism is only the big stuff, like a lynching.

More often, it's the small stuff that the people around you think "Eh, it's fine".

What exactly do you mean by small stuff?

I'm asking, because as far as im concerned, treating someone differently due to skin-colour is not by itself racism. Insulting someones skin colour is no different to insulting the shape of their nose or head. Insults are a part of life. We all have to deal with them. They are not newsworthy, and tracking down every instance of them simply because they relate to skin colour is foolish.

I wasnt really referring to you, its more the constant barrage of 'racist america' news stories, personalities like Gates, etc. On more than a few occasions during conversations with black friends i felt as if they were blaming me for the slave trade or something.

Educating? Have you ever tried educating Racists? I have. Its pretty pointless. As for my kids, of course i'll teach them. Racism is however, in my experience a natural human reaction to the 'unkown'. Its very easy to hate what is different, and feel close to what is like you. Fortunately, most of us are intelligent enough to see through this, but for those who arent, there's little hope.

I don't mean like that, but more along the lines of educating your children and more or less the "neutral" people who are ignorant of other cultures or deal with other races (eg: from small towns). These people tend not to be actually racist, but just likes information or has the wrong information (from pop culture).

I've experienced racism, though nothing major. In all honesty, as long as it wasn't violent or anything-else which actually effects me i could've cared less. I'm pretty sure actual racists number something like 1% of the population. Unless they are all hiding out in secret underground nazi lairs.

Are you white? Have you lived in middle class, mostly suburban areas of the United States? Have you had to live in an neighbourhood and/or deal with situations where your race is not the dominant race on a daily basis? With white people, often times the experiences of racism are isolated and few in between, especially compared to many minorities. Like I said, being of a dominant race, there's the issue of "inheriting privileged". It has nothing to do with you as an individual, but more with history and greater society.

And I think I've met enough racists in my life for the stats to be more than 1%.

What exactly do you mean by small stuff?

I'm asking, because as far as im concerned, treating someone differently due to skin-colour is not by itself racism. Insulting someones skin colour is no different to insulting the shape of their nose or head. Insults are a part of life. We all have to deal with them. They are not newsworthy, and tracking down every instance of them simply because they relate to skin colour is foolish.

Does your nose or head cause women walking alone to cross the street to avoid you? Because my white skin often did that in Japan.

Just re-read one of Sword's more recent posts. If I noticed that every time some one was next to me a stop light they rolled up their windows, I'd notice that too. But you wouldn't, unless you were frequently in the car to see it.

So you have never, I take it, been in the South?

Race being a myth is pretty well-established; there's very little to recommend the term 'race' when discussing various human phenotypes, and the concept of race came into play primarily when slavery and the new world came into more swing; prior to that it wasn't nearly as big an issue.

Race has always been about establishing a reason to oppress.

And to feel superior to. After all, if the other guy is to be looked down on, that must make you better; right?

And bad economic times makes for ever more tense and fearful race relations. Woe is us.

I don't mean like that, but more along the lines of educating your children and more or less the "neutral" people who are ignorant of other cultures or deal with other races (eg: from small towns). These people tend not to be actually racist, but just likes information or has the wrong information (from pop culture).

I'm not going to preach on street corners, but if i see ignorance i will generally correct it. The thing is, i feel the world has more pressing concerns. Maybe i'd feel differently if i lived in Compton LOL.

Are you white? Have you lived in middle class, mostly suburban areas of the United States? Have you had to live in an neighbourhood and/or deal with situations where your race is not the dominant race on a daily basis? With white people, often times the experiences of racism are isolated and few in between, especially compared to many minorities. Like I said, being of a dominant race, there's the issue of "inheriting privileged". It has nothing to do with you as an individual, but more with history and greater society.

And I think I've met enough racists in my life for the stats to be more than 1%.

I'm white, spent part of my youth in New York (brooklyn) before moving to the UK. I've spent the rest of my life in London, and i've lived in areas in which whites have been both majorities and minorities. So yeah, i've often been in situations where white people weren't dominant. My secondary (high) school had about 15% white kids. There was plenty of racism there, believe me, though it was mostly between black/pakistani kids. I've seen people beaten up for their race, and THAT was racism, not some girl asking Sword if he needed help (sorry dude, but your story made me laugh). I've just accepted racism as part of humanity. So long as we stop people getting hurt or discriminated against, i'd rather concentrate on other things.

And yeah, it is 1%. I dont buy that crap. Its the same with Islam. About 1% of them are clinically insane. About 1% of White people are utterly retarded.

Does your nose or head cause women walking alone to cross the street to avoid you? Because my white skin often did that in Japan.

Just re-read one of Sword's more recent posts. If I noticed that every time some one was next to me a stop light they rolled up their windows, I'd notice that too. But you wouldn't, unless you were frequently in the car to see it.

Don't get me started on racial issues in Japan. :angry: Basically all the East Asian countries have their racial/ethnic issues, but the incredibly homogeneous and xenophobic culture of Japan seriously rubs me the wrong way. (Which is funny, because I used to watch a lot of anime and I love other aspects of Japanese culture.) It's really interesting looking at Japanese pop culture and how they stereotype the West.

And yeah, it is 1%. I dont buy that crap. Its the same with Islam. About 1% of them are clinically insane. About 1% of White people are utterly retarded.

Where is your stats for this? Your gut? Because if that's all you have then you're just wrong.

And reading over you're history, sorry, a white person in the US and then the UK doesn't really compare to being black in the US.

The casual attitude of acceptance and denial that you're flaunting is one of the main reasons such racial prejudices stay around. I understand that to you there are more important issues but you can afford that luxury. Others can't.

Don't get me started on racial issues in Japan. :angry: Basically all the East Asian countries have their racial/ethnic issues, but the incredibly homogeneous and xenophobic culture of Japan seriously rubs me the wrong way. (Which is funny, because I used to watch a lot of anime and I love other aspects of Japanese culture.) It's really interesting looking at Japanese pop culture and how they stereotype the West.

I had a friend teaching there for a few years. She came back eventually because no matter how much she loved alot of stuff there, she couldn't stand the blatant racism and sexism.

Well if my nose or head were grotesque enough perhaps they would. But i mean insults, as opposed to treatment. If someone treats you differently due to your skin colour, then yes you have every right to fucking complain about it. In the Japanese defence, its nothing personal. They treat anyone who isnt japanese the same way, and always have.

Archived