Goodkind XLV: It Has Arrived!

Myshkin

Finally found Law of Nines on sale here in Australia. Selling for $21 (usual price is $32.95). But that's nothing out of the ordinary here. Some shops sell new releases quite cheaply. It has different cover art, too. Sort of a hill and some trees. Nothing remarkable.

I just had to open the book to see if everything was for real. Yep, the first chapter is about plumber pirates, and the odd snippets of dialogue I read when I flicked through the book were what we've come to expect from him. I might have actually bought the book if I had any money.

Pay day is tomorrow. Help me be strong, Lemmings. >_<

I can forgive Rowling because she actually has some pretty healthy morals in her later books: murder and torture is not OK even if you're on the good side, and imprisoning people without evidence does nothing to improve security. There's also the old "every evil person has something good in him/her", "people are not always what they seem to be", "even good guys are flawed" and so on.

Contrary to Goodkind, in which torture is perfectly OK as long as you fight for the right cause, annecting a country and murdering their queen's brother is acceptable if they cannot see their own good, and killing unarmed protestors is the right thing to do if they're blocking your way.

I can forgive Rowling because she actually has some pretty healthy morals in her later books: murder and torture is not OK even if you're on the good side, and imprisoning people without evidence does nothing to improve security. There's also the old "every evil person has something good in him/her", "people are not always what they seem to be", "even good guys are flawed" and so on.

Contrary to Goodkind, in which torture is perfectly OK as long as you fight for the right cause, annecting a country and murdering their queen's brother is acceptable if they cannot see their own good, and killing unarmed protestors is the right thing to do if they're blocking your way.

Continuing the off-topic Rowling discussion, I was also a big fan of her big hints that "just cos someone's an arsehole, doesn't necessarily make them a servant of Eeevil". Tairy's take on that, I guess, is that you can be as much of an arsehole as you like as long as you are on the side of Good, and everyone has to worship you or die. *shrug*

<-- wondering if she can be arsed to do a "Richard Rahl and the Celery of Morals" parody. Probably not.

Whoa! I didn't intend to bash Rowling like that! (Reading my post on the USA Today review, I can totally see that I sounded like that, though.) I do enjoy Harry Potter, although I think that the Goblet of Fire was the peak of the series. I meant that the comparison to Paolini was of the "if you like this crap, you'll like that crap, too" style, and see that I omitted some important words.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread with discussion of Rowling's merit, and away from the righteous bashing of Tairy.

Finally found Law of Nines on sale here in Australia. Selling for $21 (usual price is $32.95). But that's nothing out of the ordinary here. Some shops sell new releases quite cheaply. It has different cover art, too. Sort of a hill and some trees. Nothing remarkable.

How was the composition of the artwork? Were there the right number of trees? Were they aesthetically pleasing life-choosing trees? Or evil death-choosing non-arty trees? Because if you don't know, you clearly are not mature enough to understand the merits of this masterpiece.

Continuing the off-topic Rowling discussion, I was also a big fan of her big hints that "just cos someone's an arsehole, doesn't necessarily make them a servant of Eeevil".

But it quickly becomes that in book 7. The good guys have no assholes, the bad guys have no nice guys. Anybody on either side who is one of them changes side with the possibly exception of Moody, who's a bit of a dick.

But she's nothing compared to The Yeard or The Comb.

How was the composition of the artwork? Were there the right number of trees? Were they aesthetically pleasing life-choosing trees? Or evil death-choosing non-arty trees? Because if you don't know, you clearly are not mature enough to understand the merits of this masterpiece.

To be honest, I didn't spend that long looking at the cover. I'd need to buy it to study it closer >_>

Or just go back and have another look at it.

well lets get back on topic.

As I have said before I a m reading the masterpiece that is WFR. The past two days reading the bok I have began to become more convinced that Tairy may be right, that I am too young to read this. Than the whole scene with the witch seemed to be a case where the Genius Tairy decided to add some unnecessary filler. Then there's the whole scene with the girl Rachel where we are shown that all of the lords and ladies and the queen, and even he daughter are all evil people. (Let me guess the princess gets her jaw broken right?

well lets get back on topic.

As I have said before I a m reading the masterpiece that is WFR. The past two days reading the bok I have began to become more convinced that Tairy may be right, that I am too young to read this. Than the whole scene with the witch seemed to be a case where the Genius Tairy decided to add some unnecessary filler. Then there's the whole scene with the girl Rachel where we are shown that all of the lords and ladies and the queen, and even he daughter are all evil people. (Let me guess the princess gets her jaw broken right?

As for filler, wait until you get to the dragon egg hunt!

*sigh*

Reading commentary all about the web from the "fans", I can't believe how many are simply unwilling to ambrace the fact that the LoNs is simply the SoT repackaged in an attempt to set up another money grab when the "movie rights' get sold... :P

*sigh*

Reading commentary all about the web from the "fans", I can't believe how many are simply unwilling to ambrace the fact that the LoNs is simply the SoT repackaged in an attempt to set up another money grab when the "movie rights' get sold... :P

Links? I need some laughs.

Archived