Hints on Not A Blog, III

Gabriele

It's a Dutch name, simply Anglicized a little. Van Houten certainly is a Dutch name, and I imagine that that was the name's original form as carried by whatever ancestor came over the water, I suppose. (Of course, properly she was born without the 'van' in her name; she changed it in the course of her career).

Lupigis,

Simply because he looks and is aged more like a Jorah than a Rodrik, I think; at least as I imagine him. And persumably lots and lots of actors in the U.K. have ended up working in Belfast at some point in their career, whereas Morocco's a bit more uncommon and so would be more suitable for a clue.

Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon, Tommen and Myrcella IIRC

Are we sure that Sansa will be played by an unknown child actress? Given certain scenes in later seasons, I kind of doubt that they'll choose an unknown child. This leaves only Arya and Myrcella (provided that little Ms Poole won't be in the pilot) to fill these two roles.

The question is.. would George know that no one here (the Netherlands) is named Van Outen? Probably not. He probably figures, that sounds Dutch, so it is Dutch. And lets be honest, it probably originates from the Netherlands in any case.

That said, I do think she has a great Cersei-look, but as we discussed looks a gazillion times before, how about acting chops. Is she any good?

Just been reading some of the thoughts regards Ian Glenn as the possible new announcement etc and came across James Darcy having been in Into the Storm with Ian. Struck me that he would make a good Jaime especially opposite Carice Van Houten as Cersei which also ties in with GRRM's latest clue.

Don't know if James has been mentioned before or not. There are an awful lot of posts to check! :stunned:

Here's James with blondish hair ...

James in Master and Commander

and here's his imdb stuff...

IMDB

Also ties in with some of the other clues but then as someone said it's a little like horoscopes! ;)

Jac

Remind me, why does everyone seem so sure that Iain Glen has been cast as Jorah Mormont and not Rodrik Cassel? We know that they were in the process of casting Ser Rodrik and there is nothing in the clues that gives us any information either way.

WRT to the "going back" clue, Iain Glen has filmed in Marocco, but he has also filmed in Belfast, so that's no help.

Basically because he was in a film called 'Mountains of the Moon'. GRRM said that the actor would know some mountains in Westeros, though his character had never seen them. Rodrik has been to the Mountains of the Moon, as would Waymar Royce, but Jorah hasn't. Therefore, he's playing Jorah. If we're right.

Remind me, why does everyone seem so sure that Iain Glen has been cast as Jorah Mormont and not Rodrik Cassel? We know that they were in the process of casting Ser Rodrik and there is nothing in the clues that gives us any information either way.

WRT to the "going back" clue, Iain Glen has filmed in Marocco, but he has also filmed in Belfast, so that's no help.

Nothing specific rules out Ser Rodrick...But then the actor cannot be Iain Glen. He was in the MOuntains os the Moon, and the clue says the actor mighty know the moutain but his character never goes there...Ser rodrik travels for all lenght in the Mountains of the Moon

Silverstar:...Damn!...so close

Maybe a Skirling Pass Movie? ;)

The question is.. would George know that no one here (the Netherlands) is named Van Outen? Probably not. He probably figures, that sounds Dutch, so it is Dutch. And lets be honest, it probably originates from the Netherlands in any case.

That said, I do think she has a great Cersei-look, but as we discussed looks a gazillion times before, how about acting chops. Is she any good?

"He probably figures" makes it sound like Ran's theory is the right one ;).

Agreed that van Outen (or Outen actually) probably originates here in the Netherlands. I just wonder whether George would go as far as use Dutch treats for "van Outen". Solely based on that hint, Carice van Houten makes more sense.

Other than that: I have major doubts Denise van Outen could do a believable Cersei.

Okay, here we go: A list of which regular AVATAR here should be which character. I keep hesitating because I just know people are going to equate what I say with themselves, their posts, who they are, etc, etc, and get all offended. And its not about that--its a list of AVATARS only. Avatars as characters. Just avatars--pictures--nothing to do with the westeros member's personality at all.

Gabriele = Generic troops

Lol, that's fairly safe. Just well I didn't pick a photo of myself as avatar, or I'd be Brienne. ;)

It's a Dutch name, simply Anglicized a little. Van Houten certainly is a Dutch name, and I imagine that that was the name's original form as carried by whatever ancestor came over the water, I suppose. (Of course, properly she was born without the 'van' in her name; she changed it in the course of her career).

Yeah, we Anglicize a lot in English - Brooklyn, for instance, comes from the name of the town Breukelen.

Yannai has provided a list of the cast list for the pilot over on Tower of the Hand

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/hbo/p...s_personae.html :)

How sad is it that I bookmarked this link... :smoking:

So we have 14 out of 38 characters cast (I'm not counting the extras or the corpse)...

*sulks* I didn't get picked.

Mind you, my avatar doesn't relate to anything, so that would have been a bit tricky!

Same, :/

But I got growled at for changing my avatar so often I was confusing people - so I've stuck with this one for a while.

One thing people seem to be forgetting is that we were told that Dany was down to three actresses after we heard that the first five roles were cast, so there's no way the original adult female is Dany. A lot of people supposed that the sixth role (of unknown gender) was Dany, because we knew they had been relatively close to a decision

Now, both Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Alfie Allen seem pretty likely, but neither of them fits the Romeo clue. So if both of those are correct, then the sixth role must be male (unless Romeo refers to Gwyneth Paltrow, but I don't think anyone took that seriously), and therefore not Dany.

In other words it seems unlikely that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Alfie Allen and Tamzin Merchant are all correct. Anyone have any other ideas for "The forth is the fifth?" Hopefully for the missing adult female role (i.e. Cersei).

I guess it's possible that Merchant is actually Sansa, and the kids are Arya and Myrcella. I personally doubt it though.

ETA: Can anyone connect James D'arcy with Romeo? That would solve the problem too.

Myrddin = Cersei. Endlessly, pointlessly stabbing and attacking at... nothing.

:lol:

My wife will be very suprised I've been cast as Cersei. :stunned:

ETA: You could also add Cersei thinking she can fix something by sticking her nose in, but ends up getting crushed by her own incompetence.

One thing people seem to be forgetting is that we were told that Dany was down to three actresses after we heard that the first five roles were cast, so there's no way the original adult female is Dany. A lot of people supposed that the sixth role (of unknown gender) was Dany, because we knew they had been relatively close to a decision

Now, both Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Alfie Allen seem pretty likely, but neither of them fits the Romeo clue. So if both of those are correct, then the sixth role must be male (unless Romeo refers to Gwyneth Paltrow, but I don't think anyone took that seriously), and therefore not Dany.

In other words it seems unlikely that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Alfie Allen and Tamzin Merchant are all correct. Anyone have any other ideas for "The forth is the fifth?" Hopefully for the missing adult female role (i.e. Cersei).

I guess it's possible that Merchant is actually Sansa, and the kids are Arya and Myrcella. I personally doubt it though.

ETA: Can anyone connect James D'arcy with Romeo? That would solve the problem too.

Actually, George said Dany was down to three actresses a few days before he revealed five roles were cast. This was back on the last day of Worldcon (I believe that was 10 August). Here's the relevant post from a board member who was there at his reading. The "Dutch Treats" post was on 12 August.

There's no good reason to assume the adult female role is Cersei rather than Dany. It could be either. It is indeed possible for Merchant to have been cast alongside Coster-Waldau.

Same, :/

But I got growled at for changing my avatar so often I was confusing people - so I've stuck with this one for a while.

Sorry, Silv and Tobin!! Sorry! A simple oversight. But Ran's had enough of my avatar silliness (with good reason) so I'm totally back on topic now. Cheers!

:cheers:

Actually, George said Dany was down to three actresses a few days before he revealed five roles were cast. This was back on the last day of Worldcon (I believe that was 10 August). Here's the relevant post from a board member who was there at his reading. The "Dutch Treats" post was on 12 August.

There's no good reason to assume the adult female role is Cersei rather than Dany. It could be either. It is indeed possible for Merchant to have been cast alongside Coster-Waldau.

Weiss and Beninoff reported the five roles on the tenth of August here, before the Dutch treats. That would be the same day as the last day of Worldcon. I suppose GRRM could have been unaware that they had reached a decision on Dany at the time.

Weiss and Beninoff reported the five roles on the tenth of August here, before the Dutch treats. That would be the same day as the last day of Worldcon. I suppose GRRM could have been unaware that they had reached a decision on Dany at the time.

Ah, thanks, Baleraxar. I was unaware of that. That does seem to tip the scales towards Cersei having been the one cast. The possibility remains that Dany was the one cast but it's much reduced in light of this.

Archived