Fashion Faux Pas You Have Seen Recently

Mlle. Zabzie

I'm assuming that the dress in question was short enough to see asscheeks or close to them, which is tacky and already a no-no.

Why are you assuming that? I've got cellulite just past mid-thigh which can be seen in modest shorts.

If the issue was the dress was too short because her arse was showing then say that; don't say that it was inappropriate because of her cellulite.

There is a way to dress one's body that flatters it, and a way to dress one's body that doesn't flatter it. If you know you have cellulite and that it is not pretty, why dress in a manner that shows it?

Ok. But do people who do show their cellulite really deserve to castigated for doing so? Just because it doesn't look pretty? Think about what you're saying; that women should dress to look pretty for the benefit of others not to feel comfortable in what they're wearing. Really?

N

You don't have to look pretty. You have to look presentable. Asscheeks showing is not presentable, and showing cellulite - I don't blame anyone for having cellulite, that shit happens - is just the icing on the cake. I would be equally disgusted if I saw a man with his back hair hanging out of the collar of his shirt, or with a camel toe on his too-tight pants. That shit is preventable, y'all. Prevent it.

You can look presentable, well-put together, sophisticated, whatever, and still be comfortable in your clothes. It's about fit. There are people who don't understand what fit is, who believe that fit corresponds to size, which is totally arbitrary as you know in women's clothes. There's nothing wrong with dressing to flatter your best assets and hiding the ones that you don't care for. If a woman considers cellulite one of her better assets, one that is more likely to help her look favorable in society, all the more power to her. For me, and many others, cellulite, like muffin tops, excessive body hair, tight clothing, and other style no-nos is taboo. It's lumpy and ugly. It looks like fascia. I don't want to see it on myself. I'm sure as hell not wanting to see it on others.

It's true that we are a shallow and image-oriented society, but if by dressing appropriately you can make someone think better of you and judge you according to the character you show instead of the physical flaws (or assets) you have, then I'm all for it.

Fair point, Flip. :)

My own opinion is that 'fashion', broadly defined, is about selecting the clothes you wear in order to send a message. (To others mostly, but also to yourself.) A fashion faux pas, therefore, is about someone who has tried to send a particular message but got it wrong.

It's certainly not about hiding bits of yourself: the low-cut top that isn't actually sexy is a bigger faux pas than the summer outfit that happens to show your various blemishes, whatever they may be. The Disney outfit is not a faux pas if the message you want to send is 'I love Disney, don't you?', but it probably is if the message is 'I am a mature and sober person whom you should take seriously'. It works for a kids' play leader, but not so much for a lawyer. (Of course, that might be the same individual at different times.)

Some of the examples in this thread probably fit that definition (and it is only my personal way of looking at it), some don't.

Minaku, you have convinced me, an excessively hairy man, to go shirtless much more often. Just to stick it to people who are offended by it, such as yourself.

Awesome. I hope we never meet.

My own opinion is that 'fashion', broadly defined, is about selecting the clothes you wear in order to send a message. (To others mostly, but also to yourself.) A fashion faux pas, therefore, is about someone who has tried to send a particular message but got it wrong.

QFT.

When I hit 230, I had cellulite on my arms and my calves. There was no way I was wearing long sleeves and long pants in our 90 degree summer. My clothes were clean, matched and fit. If that is not good enough, just too damn bad. I dress for myself, and for no one else.

I feel sorry for people who have such strict standards. One day health and age may change things for them, and I hope they can adjust.

When I hit 230, I had cellulite on my arms and my calves. There was no way I was wearing long sleeves and long pants in our 90 degree summer. My clothes were clean, matched and fit. If that is not good enough, just too damn bad. I dress for myself, and for no one else.

I feel sorry for people who have such strict standards. One day health and age may change things for them, and I hope they can adjust.

Women over 35, and the ones of us who aren't reed thin, should only dress in burqa style clothes to avoid offending anyone by not looking like 18 year old models. Didn't you get the memo?

Amen to that Lany.

Asscheeks showing is not presentable, and showing cellulite - I don't blame anyone for having cellulite, that shit happens - is just the icing on the cake.

But that wasn't the point, was it? The comment was specifically made about cellulite you took it to mean that it was only on the arse. So I think my point still stands. The woman wearing the dress didn't care that her cellulite was showing, why should you.

It strikes me through your entire post that you are still saying we should dress for others:

I would be equally disgusted if I saw a man...
That shit is preventable, y'all. Prevent it.
For me, and many others, cellulite, like muffin tops, excessive body hair, tight clothing, and other style no-nos is taboo.
I'm sure as hell not wanting to see it on others.

Finally

It's true that we are a shallow and image-oriented society, but if by dressing appropriately you can make someone think better of you and judge you according to the character you show instead of the physical flaws (or assets) you have, then I'm all for it.

So you need people to dress how you see fit for their bodyshape before you'll judge their character? Nice.

N

Women over 35, and the ones of us who aren't reed thin, should only dress in burqa style clothes to avoid offending anyone by not looking like 18 year old models. Didn't you get the memo?

Damn. I knew I was missing something.

I still dress in sleeveless tops and short skirts and shorts (ok, the skirts are only really short when I sit) but truthfully, I love showing off my legs and arms, even though they are bigger than what most people might want to see....but now they have muscles on them, and I am so happy with them, even if I am too old and still too fat to wear these things.

I am with Mormont. I also think a person should feel comfortable with themselves and their clothes and that anything else is the observers' problem, not the person "dressed that way".

Priorities, people. Priorities. If it's important to you not to show shit you think is unattractive, so be it. If you don't give a flying flip, that's okay too. Excuse me if I snigger, though. I will laugh at myself just as readily.

There's always going to be these two camps. One will just never understand the other.

But, Chaldanya, we do dress for others.

Speak for yourself. I dress for me which is why on some days I feel like wearing a skirt and shirt and on others I just wear jeans and a t-shirt.

N

I dress to the lowest level the dress code will allow. As so as I get home, it is jammies (tee shirt and boxers)

That too. I have 12 pairs of pyjamas - wonderful items of clothing they are.

N

I hope we do, and I am shirtless. You will find that body hair can be very distinguished.

:lol:

I find myself strangely intrigued by the existence of distinguished body hair, instead of just normal, bog standard body hair.

I find myself strangely intrigued by the existence of distinguished body hair, instead of just normal, bog standard body hair.

I like to think my body hair is distinguished!

N

Otherwise, we could all wear pajamas to the office if that was our comfort level, and no one would bat an eye.

See, this is why I work in academic science. I once worked with a woman who would wear pajamas one day, and a velvet gown the next. We all just run for the lab coats when the inspectors are coming around.

Today, I am wearing an oche tent dress with black trim, bought at the market. With glittery gold flip-flops. You can see bits of my beige bra, especially because the back is low-cut. You can also probably see leg hair, as I haven't shaved in about a week, but the dress is fairly long so it's not as obvious. I

Archived