Fashion Faux Pas You Have Seen Recently

Mlle. Zabzie

Black and/or very dark nail polish.

It was cool right after Pulp Fiction.

It faded away after an appropriate amount of time.

It came back too early though; there is a ~18 year cooling off period on dramatic fashion trends.

It should only be worn by Goth chicks and hipster girls with a rockabilly/big band flair.

Wearing it when you're a sorority girl in a sun dress is unacceptable.

ETA: As is wearing it in a business environment.

Okay... I confess, I like dark or black nail polish. I think it can be appropriate with the right outfit, especially during the fall and winter seasons. I like bright/light nail polish, especially in spring and summer. Then again, I don't work a corporate job. If I did work an office type that job that required business/formal attire, I doubt I'd put on black or dark blue nail (etc) polish.

Speaking of bad nails, adults in the business world who wear glittery or over-the-top nail art. Actually, I just hate over-the-top nail art. It bothers me when I have to touch someone's hand if they have scary nails (whether this means scary nail art or just unkept and dirty nails).

Black and/or very dark nail polish.

It was cool right after Pulp Fiction.

It faded away after an appropriate amount of time.

It came back too early though; there is a ~18 year cooling off period on dramatic fashion trends.

It should only be worn by Goth chicks and hipster girls with a rockabilly/big band flair.

Wearing it when you're a sorority girl in a sun dress is unacceptable.

ETA: As is wearing it in a business environment.

I don't know, I'm quite fond of Lincoln Park After Dark by OPI in the winter. It's a little vampy (particularly because I'm pretty pale), but I love the way it looks with a black or grey dress and heels. If you met me IRL, I would eventually forgive you if you described me as a sorority girl in a sundress (particularly because I was, in fact, a sorority girl, and I am, in fact, wearing a sundress today), and might even give you a running head start :P

This actually reminds me of the lecture I got before on-campus interviewing in law school. My upper left ear is pierced. I wear a very small diamond in it - most people don't even notice. The career coach went nuts about it and insisted that I wouldn't get any callbacks unless I removed it (or at least wore my hair down). I wore it. I wore my hair in a nice professional low bun. I got plenty of callbacks. I'm quite certain that it was and is some sort of fashion faux pas, but you know what, I don't care :) (Which is further to X-ray's earlier point re fashion - it's not a faux pas so long as you carry it off - I like to think I do - and it's all subjective*).

*But I'm still going to giggle when appropriate - particularly when a spectacular comb-over goes awry, or a mullet walks into a bar.

I read this and I got scared. :(

I wear a brown pair of boots almost every day and i wear them with black leggings and random skirts or tops with a brown hoody sweater.

I dont think Im office appropriate and I wear wifebeaters and tshirts with vnecks to work too. :o

I dont understand flip flops or sandals or heels (I fall over in kitten heels, plys 5'10" dont need to be no taller thanks).

My sister once told me I remind her of how tank girl dresses.

Although Im in the tech dept. I try to dress nice, today Im wearing an eggplant top thing with a cowl neck and rusching right above the boobs with a smallish fake velvet (vellour?) brown hoody and black yoga pants with fake ugg boots (have you ever tried them? THey are SOOOO comfy, but i cover the boots with my pants, so no one sees)

Mind you the fake uggs are from a 17 yr old girl who hated them, they feel like slippers. mmm. Nice change from my brown italian leather flat boots which are comfy but have thin soles.

I think I fashion failed.

But it's okay! I like to see funny unique styles, like the sequins, old ladies with sequins RULE!

One of the attorneys in the office usually has very painful looking panty lines. My guess is that she wears some kind of athletic underwear with incredibly strong elastic. The elastic looks like its digging into her ass. She's in great shape--played field hockey in college and coaches it now--but she has no idea on how to dress. She could really use a tailor.

The pants hanging off the ass thing really gets to me. I tell the boys in my classes that they look stupid (sometimes, even diplomatically) and tell them to pull them up. I wish I could tell the girls who show half their butt to do the same because I really don't want to see some 14 - 16 year-old girl's ass crack, but I just don't go there.

My dad had beautiful clothes for work. His problem was he couldn't get a shirt/tie/jacket that went together. I can't remember the times my sister or I had to tell him to go change something. He always wore slippers to drive to and to walk into work and kept his shoes there. One time while on vacation he had to go in and drop off/pick up some files. The Chief Justice of the Mich. Supreme Court happened to call and asked him to stop by. After getting the message he had to call her back and ask if it would be OK for him to appear there wearing a ratty paint-stained flannel shirt, jeans and, of course, slippers.

I wear flip flops (thongs) to and from work most days and keep my shoes there. Rainy season is a nightmare and it just seemed more prudent to keep my shoes safe. I do the same thing in winter, but with boots, not flip flops. Nice shoes are kept nicer longer if they aren't exposed to the evil elements. I suppose that puts me in the fashion faux pas category.

I have a question: Is it wrong to wear brown shoes with black pants if the culture around you is cool with it and sports it as well? Because the last two countries I've lived in, that's been totally fine. And I am starting to crack a bit, starting with socks. But it feels...dirty.

I don't think it's 'wrong' to wear anything you want, to be honest.

I meant from a fashion point of view. I wear what I want on my own time and don't think twice about it, but in a professional setting, rules change. And while I see some people here rockin' the brown/black thing, I wonder if it comes across poorly or sloppily when I do it.

I have a question: Is it wrong to wear brown shoes with black pants if the culture around you is cool with it and sports it as well? Because the last two countries I've lived in, that's been totally fine. And I am starting to crack a bit, starting with socks. But it feels...dirty.

Heh. I don't think I've ever noticed shoe-colour-related fashion faux pas(es). It's just not on my radar.

<---wears red Doc Martens with everything :leaving:

Always a good look, showing off your cellulite.

Every woman has or will have cellulite. Getting bent out of shape cause you can see another woman's cellulite is not cool.

This thread is seriously pissing me off. Yes you have standard commentary on what people wear but you've also got comments on women's bodies by other women. It's really great when we're our own worst enemy :unsure:

N

Always a good look, showing off your cellulite.

Every woman has or will have cellulite. Getting bent out of shape cause you can see another woman's cellulite is not cool.

This thread is seriously pissing me off. Yes you have standard commentary on what people wear but you've also got comments on women's bodies by other women. It's really great when we're our own worst enemy :unsure:

N

I'm confused. This was an inappropriate display of cellulute. I'm assuming that the dress in question was short enough to see asscheeks or close to them, which is tacky and already a no-no. What law says that women aren't allowed to comment on other womens' bodies? There is a way to dress one's body that flatters it, and a way to dress one's body that doesn't flatter it. If you know you have cellulite and that it is not pretty, why dress in a manner that shows it?

This reminds me of What Not To Wear, which is in my opinion a fantastic show. Stacy and Clinton never talk about how large or small the women are, they instead pick the best features of those women and dress them to bring them out. Dress the body you have, not the body you want, they say.

I'm assuming that the dress in question was short enough to see asscheeks or close to them, which is tacky and already a no-no.

Why are you assuming that? I've got cellulite just past mid-thigh which can be seen in modest shorts.

If the issue was the dress was too short because her arse was showing then say that; don't say that it was inappropriate because of her cellulite.

There is a way to dress one's body that flatters it, and a way to dress one's body that doesn't flatter it. If you know you have cellulite and that it is not pretty, why dress in a manner that shows it?

Ok. But do people who do show their cellulite really deserve to castigated for doing so? Just because it doesn't look pretty? Think about what you're saying; that women should dress to look pretty for the benefit of others not to feel comfortable in what they're wearing. Really?

N

Archived