AussieCon 4

felice

Hi there everyone! Ok...so I'm a bit new to this whole thing but will bedding my best to keep up! I'm currently studying near Brisbane, AUS and have only just found out about Aussiecon. I know...I know. :) That being said, I've just purchased last minute flights and hotel bookings for far more than i probably should have, especially as a broke student and actor, but just couldn't resist. You only live once, and this is an awesome opportunity. So...anyone want to say hello once i arrive? I'm not going with anyone so look for the complete noob who constantly looks lost. :) i will be in Melbourne thursday night through sunday morning...and would absolutely love to attend and contribute to any parties or events the BwB are hosting or organizing. If anyone is willing, let me know. I hope you all have a blast and hope to see you there!

Til then,

Jake Stormoen

Www.jakestormoen.com

My email is on my site if anyone wants to arrange to meet up and show me the ropes to an event like this or if anyone has room in their group :)

Thanks again!

two newbies already, and it's a week before the con starts!

Check with Ser Stubby about the Bros meal they've set up as a meet and greet. Many of the Bros have t-shirts with House designs they wear at the cons, and often have 'fan' names on their membership badges alluding to their ASoI&F fannish connections.

there's usually a 'getting to know folks at your first worldcon' panel held early in the convention programming that will help.

We're generally a friendly crowd, and welcome newbies with genuine delight.

remember you're going to spend a lot of time walking on concrete convention floors. You may want to save those high heels or goth boots for night time. There's usually a few folks willing to share a room to save cash, ask around, it's likely you'll find someone to share a room with quickly. The Bros are known at the WorldCons for doing volunteer work to help run the convention, and throwing great parties. I suggest seeing if you can help with load-in (which is going to be very tough this year, since the convention org before us is being difficult), doing registration when the con opens, doing art show set-up, doing a few hours at the information tables to help folks find where they can find a restaurant or need a map to help them locate a store.

looking forward to meeting you all.

hope you enjoy every minute.

for those who are wondering what's going on with voluntering, since they may have sent inquiries and not received a response: the volunteer co-ordinating folks are running as fast as they can. Don't give up. When you get to to the convention, there will be a table to sign up for volunteering, if it isn't, don't despair, we'll make sure you find some sort of volunteer work you'll enjoy. It's only a few hours spent helping to run the circus out of x days enjoying the circus, and is always appreciated by the committee and your fellow members. It's one of the ways we can afford to run the cons on the tattered shoestrings that is the WorldCon budget.

Personally, I always liked doing registration, people come in and are usually in a good mood, you get to meet lots of people, and you get to be a volunter host as our members assemble for our annual family reunion.

I'm happy to say I'll be attending Aussiecon4. I'm on my second read through of ASOIAF now. I'm abit in the same boat as Inga, I won't be able to rattle off any house lineages but I love the books and have had ADWD on preorder forever!

I'm a local (with car) so if I can help out with preperations for the parties in any way please let me know. I'll be working the weekdays of the convention and heading in after work each day.

edit: spelling

Welcome to the board simhanada and Jake. Looking forward to meeting you guys at the Con :cheers:.

@SMG: Glad to hear that everything is going well on your trip so far. Is Malt in Australia yet?

I'm happy to say I'll be attending Aussiecon4. I'm on my second read through of ASOIAF now. I'm abit in the same boat as Inga, I won't be able to rattle off any house lineages but I love the books and have had ADWD on preorder forever!

I'm a local (with car) so if I can help out with preperations for the parties in any way please let me know. I'll be working the weekdays of the convention and heading in after work each day.

edit: spelling

Welcome to the gang simanhada!

Do your best to get the days off as well if you can - you'll miss some of the best nerdy stuff otherwise!

Welcome to the gang simanhada!

Do your best to get the days off as well if you can - you'll miss some of the best nerdy stuff otherwise!

Cheers

Unfortunately one of the other guys here has those days off otherwise I would! Hopefully I'll have a few early start/early finish days though.

Inga82

Someone has just posted, abit over an hour ago on the facebook aussiecon4 group, that they have 2 memberships for sale. hurry hurry over there if you want to grab them.

Thanks for the heads up simhanada!

I am in Melbourne, just checked into the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Sadly this place is not up to the standard of the Sheraton in Sydney where I was before this, but then it is a much cheaper hotel.

But the Internet access here is a joke. You can get 30 minutes free but you need a code from reception and then you can only use it in certain places or you can pay through the nose for it. I guess the always FREE wi-fi in the lobby at the Sheraton has spoiled me. Bah!

This may restrict the amount of updates and reporting I can do here but we will see.

If anyone is around in Melbourne tonight give me a shout, alright it will have to be a quick one since my Internet access has about 15 minutes left now. I need to find an ATM and find someplace for dinner and will probably go scope out the convention centre after that.

One thing I have noticed here already is that queuing for the lifts to the party floor will be fun, there is a single circular lift area accessed by corridor. I think this will be a problem for other hotel users. Also I get the impression this place has no idea what's about to hit it. In fact while I was at reception one of the girls there was looking at some paperwork on the desk (not my paperwork I will add) and she said "what's Aussiecon?" and I said "you'll find out next week". I explained that it is a sci-fi convention and then she said she can't wait to see people coming in dressed up.

ETA: Malt arrives on Monday. Also thought I should add that I am out of town this weekend, going on a 3 day safari into the Grampian Mountains and along the Great Ocean Road. Will be back in Melbourne on Monday evening, probably about the time Malt arrives actually.

Also thought I should add that I am out of town this weekend, going on a 3 day safari into the Grampian Mountains and along the Great Ocean Road. Will be back in Melbourne on Monday evening, probably about the time Malt arrives actually.

Have a good safari, MG. See you on Tuesday.

As an addendum to offering to help out with what I can re: party/BWB, if there is any printing that will be needed, ie to advertise the party or raffle then I'm happy to do a heap of B&W prints through work (I'm at a large print house) up to A3 size or some (not as many as B&W) colour prints also up to A3. If thats needed then its just a matter of shooting me a PDF ready to go and I'll bring it in when I finish work. Less money on printing = more money on party :)

Enjoy the safari serMountainGoat, the Grampians and Great Ocean Road are lovely.

My wife and I are flying in to Melbourne on Wednesday evening, along with three friends. Really looking forward to catching up with you all on the Thursday night, and to the Fri and Sat night parties of course (what is "quest night" exactly?).

As this will be my first BWB get-together, just wondering how it usually works. Do we just call someone to say that we're there and check what's happening?

*excited*

(what is "quest night" exactly?).

You will notice as you navigate the board that some of us have references to knighthoods. Knight of the Tomato Pie, Knight of the Cheesesteak, Knight of the Pink Dog etc etc. GRRM assigns a particular quest to nOObs at the party and when it is succesfully completed he will knight you.

Who knows what this years quest will be?

You will notice as you navigate the board that some of us have references to knighthoods. Knight of the Tomato Pie, Knight of the Cheesesteak, Knight of the Pink Dog etc etc. GRRM assigns a particular quest to nOObs at the party and when it is succesfully completed he will knight you.

Who knows what this years quest will be?

Something else to look forward to. :)

Archived