AussieCon 4

felice

So, Maltaran, Stubby, Laoise and myself just got back from having a coffee with George and Parris. It was just us chatting for a couple of hours and making plans for the next few days.

In light of new information the meeting point will have to be moved. It seems we are in fact not using the massive long Convention Centre at all, the convention will be held in a smaller building further down and off to the right where there is currently a United Nations convention on today which actually complicates things about a hundred times more since there is a security checkpoint currently in place which will be there through tomorrow when the convention needs setting up.

Therefore I am not sure where we will meet anymore, will hopefully let you know tomorrow. For anyone who is arriving tomorrow and is willing and able to, your help would be greatly appreciated. Usually Worldcon has several days to set up before things begin but this year it looks really bad and we will have only a matter of hours. Please please get in touch with Stubby when you arrive and come down and help if you can, PM Stubby to obtain his phone number if you have not done so already. This will ensure that you get a BWB badge - and no you don't need a badge to get into the party, its just a cool thing to have which identifies us to each other and since they are such limited editions this year they will only be going to the special people.

Speaking of limited edition things there will be some very special extremely limited edition things for sale at the BWB party which I cannot tell you about right now but they are extremely cool and you will definitely want one.

One of the few things I can tell you about from the last couple of hours is that we told George and Parris about something that has happened to Ser Camaris this week. He had some surgery about a month ago and has been working hard picking up things for us for the party and he has actually opened the wound up again. He went into surgery today and this morning we were frantically trying to get hold of him because we wanted to meet and start getting things organised here, but of course he needs a couple of days rest, but we can wait till Friday to get that stuff from him it's not a problem.

So in the middle of us sitting there having coffee and chatting away, Ser Camaris phones Stubby to let him know what's going on and Stubby passes the phone to George. I think we just made his day, I think the poor guy might have been in danger of rupturing his stitches again!

Take care of yourself Ser Camaris and we will see you on Thursday or Friday. If necessary we will find a way to drive out to your place to pick the stuff up. Seriously your health comes first bro so take it easy.

We did go out shopping today and picked up some supplies for the party, we found the totally awesome shop Minotaur by accident which I just now read that Jebus mentioned on my LJ earlier today. We very nearly lost the entire day in that place and had to force ourselves to leave. We had lunch in The Pancake Parlour, so nice. We also found the Bottle Shop on the corner of Flinders and Spencer that was mentioned up thread and this is where we will be buying all the drinks for the parties.

So as you can see things are progressing, if not quite in the direction we had at first imagined, then at least in a chaotic fun direction that will keep us on our toes for the next couple of days.

Haha it sure did make my day. My wife was quite amused by how fanboy flustered I got (and still am!).

Still sore, but raring to go...looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Jebus, Any notable watering spots South of the Yarra?

Oh absolutely!

You can always head on over the Chapel St in Prahan which has a f**k-tonne of bars and restaurants, HOWEVER, it is an area prone to very bogan behaviour (drunken louts basically) and I steer clear of there as much as possible. Your best bet is to head to St Kilda (take the 112 tram that goes past Crowne) and try out the Prince of Wales or, even better, the good old Espy (Esplanade Hotel) for great atmosphere and great bands. A little further down the road is the Palais theatre and Luna Park, over the road from those is Acland st which has some absolutely rip snorting eateries.

Take a gander at thatsmelbourne.com.au for any other ideas - I tend to stick tot he Northern suburbs where I live like Brunswick, Fitzroy and Carlton - speaking of which there is always Brunswick St in Collingwood which has some of the best bars and restaurants for cheap eats anywhere in the world, it's the other end of the 112 tram!

I might wander past the convention centre after work today to see if I can lend a hand, I'll PM my phone # to Stubby as well just in case.

P.S. I thought it was in the new centre at the back and not Jeff's Shed, I think MG is just trying to make people go to the wrong places so he'll have more of the con to himself.

Okay this is the millionth time I've tried to post here!

I just joined up and don't have much time to go through all these posts. Could somebody pretty please tell me what is happening Friday night and if there is any special meeting planned on Saturday (that is not listed in the program)? Thanks!

I'm a local Melbournite and will be attending on Saturday. Unfortunately can't stick around in the evening for all the parties. If there's something happening Friday night I will try to attend that as well! I should've planned things better and made a bigger effort to be around for everything, but I'm so disorganised I'm actually amazed I've even managed to clear up one whole day!!

See everyone soon.

By the way - my advice for this weekend: Watch out for Geelong supporters on Friday night, and watch out for Collingwood supporters on Saturday night. They'll be going feral, win or lose!

Okay this is the millionth time I've tried to post here!

I just joined up and don't have much time to go through all these posts. Could somebody pretty please tell me what is happening Friday night and if there is any special meeting planned on Saturday (that is not listed in the program)? Thanks!

I'm a local Melbournite and will be attending on Saturday. Unfortunately can't stick around in the evening for all the parties. If there's something happening Friday night I will try to attend that as well! I should've planned things better and made a bigger effort to be around for everything, but I'm so disorganised I'm actually amazed I've even managed to clear up one whole day!!

See everyone soon.

By the way - my advice for this weekend: Watch out for Geelong supporters on Friday night, and watch out for Collingwood supporters on Saturday night. They'll be going feral, win or lose!

I am actually in a similar position (although I tried to read through the thread!). I'm actually an American living in Melbourne for work, and just found out about the convention and the BRB yesterday. I'm hoping to take tomorrow (Friday) off to attend, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go and whom to meet. This will be my first convention, so I'm really looking forward to meeting people and just having a good time. Happy to provide contact details to anyone willing to help me out, as long as they promise not to steal my kidney. Well...you can take one. Just one, though.

My advice to anyone who wants to come would be to send a PM with contact details to Stubby or MG - not me as my phone still isn't working. If you're wanting to attend the parties you will need to buy a day membership for the relevant day, which you can get on the door at the convention centre. Also, George's reading and signing are both on Saturday morning, so if you get a Saturday day pass you can go to those and then party with us into the small hours.

..."going" feral? Collingwood supporters are *always* feral! ;-)

My advice to anyone who wants to come would be to send a PM with contact details to Stubby or MG - not me as my phone still isn't working. If you're wanting to attend the parties you will need to buy a day membership for the relevant day, which you can get on the door at the convention centre. Also, George's reading and signing are both on Saturday morning, so if you get a Saturday day pass you can go to those and then party with us into the small hours.

Sent my PM to Stubby just now. Thanks for the help. =)

Hey all. We have 23 bros sat on the balcony of the restaurant where the BWB are having dinner with George and Parris tonight. Just waiting for our guests of honour to arrive.

Just been to our first panels of the con. I got really lucky with 3 good ones to kick things off. More details on my LiveJournal later tonight. We are kicking things off in style here.

Heyas, I'm a new member of this forum (been a member of the BwB for a few years but never been involved) and a first time poster. I am from Melbourne and will be attending a con for the first time this weekend (day pass each for Sat and Sun). Really looking forward to some of the panels/discussions and meeting some fellow fans (plus Mr. Martin himself Woot Woot!!!). Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can get the most out of the weekend?? Hope to see you soon!!

Archived