AussieCon 4

felice

Hey all,

I am another Australian who has lurked for years, and tonight have gathered my courage and joined the board and booked flights etc to AussieCon. Look forward to meeting some of you there! Hurrah!

Hey Agnes, welcome to the board :cheers:.

Yes, welcome Agnes!

Wasn't planning on attending due to a tight work schedule laid out for September but a delay has opened up a window of opportunity to attend. Organising funds this close to the event might be a stretch though. However I can take the initial step and pick up a supporting membership which seems a bargain just to get the Hugo pack download. Does anyone know if there's a cutoff date for attendance & converting supporting to attending membership?

As long as you don't mind paying more for it you can buy your membership when you get there, they were certainly doing that in Montreal last year anyway. So I would imagine that you can turn up on the day and convert from supporting to attending but you may be charged the "on the door" price rather than the current online price. As for the latest you can get the online price I would think perhaps one week to two weeks before the convention starts but I am sure if you email the organisers they can give you precise information rather than my random guesses based on limited experience :)

It seems like interest in Aussiecon is finally picking up as we get closer to it and perhaps this is a good time to ask again about BWB plans for the event. I know Stubby was looking at some things, any news on that mate?

We could also use an update to the Aussiecon attendance list so please add a post to the stickied thread for that if you are now confirmed as going or if you were a maybe who is not going anymore.

I have been informed by the organisers that there will be a suite available for the BwB for both the Friday and Saturday nights, but it is yet to be confirmed.

I have enlisted the wonderful Dame Katran to make some buttons for us and she assures me they will be ready.

Aside from that, I'm open to suggestions for party themes, BwB events etc. Don't be shy folks - its getting close!

Edit: ithanos, get your butt over here and get knighted mate!!

I have been informed by the organisers that there will be a suite available for the BwB for both the Friday and Saturday nights, but it is yet to be confirmed.

I have enlisted the wonderful Dame Katran to make some buttons for us and she assures me they will be ready.

Aside from that, I'm open to suggestions for party themes, BwB events etc. Don't be shy folks - its getting close!

Edit: ithanos, get your butt over here and get knighted mate!!

Hey Stubby, if you need any help with anything for BwB events - let me know, will be there and will be happy to help out (or beforehand if I can). But have never been to Con or a BwB event - so I might need some instructions! Cheers, Agnes.

Cheers for the advice serMountainGoat. Ended up getting the attending membership after all, which now commits me to the event, yay!

Now downloading the Hugo pack, a lot of reading to catch up on.

Must remember to find a way to cross the ditch and sort out a place to camp.

Hey Stubby, if you need any help with anything for BwB events - let me know, will be there and will be happy to help out (or beforehand if I can). But have never been to Con or a BwB event - so I might need some instructions! Cheers, Agnes.

I'm with Agnes on that Stubby - I can help out with whatever's needed just let me know what to do. I'm afraid not having been to a con before I don't really have a good idea of what's expected at these events! Apart from the provision of alcohol which is a given :cheers:

Yeah! Glad to see someone in this thread getting excited about it, things are too quiet not enough discussion going on in here. Come on people it's Worldcon this is going to be awesome!

Just to let everyone know Stubby and Ser Camaris are doing a sterling job getting things organised behind the scenes. Plans are afoot though I'm not sure if they can be revealed at this juncture, but rest assured things are falling into place.

But what we do need is for everyone who is attending to let us know the dates that you are going to be in Melbourne, when do you fly in, when do you fly out. Or if you already live there let us know when you're available for meeting up, either during the day or in the evening of the days leading up to the con.

Also please make sure you give your phone number to someone else who is going so we can coordinate meeting up otherwise you may never find us and spend your whole time there on your own which would be terrible. Stubby is probably the best person to contact if you're an Aussie since I will have a UK phone which will cost extra to call/text but you're welcome to do so anyway if you wish (via pm please).

Right here are the dates I will be there:

First I am spending 3 days in Sydney from Tues 24 Aug to Fri 27 Aug. I will be staying at the Sheraton on Oaks Park so if anyone is around on the Wed and Thurs and wants to meet up, show me around the city that would be awesome. My flight lands 8 pm on the Tues so probably won't be up for anything that night.

Then I am flying down to Melbourne in the afternoon of Fri 27 Aug. I am looking at the possibility of booking myself onto a weekend trip out of the city someplace, see the countryside a bit if I can, so probably won't be around on Sat & Sun.

Will be back in Melbourne for Mon 30 Aug staying at the Crowne Plaza with Maltaran through the duration of Worldcon and flying out at 11 pm on Mon 6 Sept.

We get in to Melbourne at stupid o'clock the night between 30/8 and 31/8. We will be up and about on 31/8. Anyone who wants to is welcome to get in touch over the course of that day to meet/greet etc. As with MG, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with mobile numbers. We're at the Crown as well. We are leaving Melbourne on the Monday night in the early evening.

Also, I have had a further call from Parris for folks to sign up to help out with Worldcon in general. Even if its just pitching in for a couple of hours setting up chairs for a reading/panel I am sure it will be appreciated. Maybe if you are going to a particular panel you might stick your hand up to help set up etc?

Please contact smofbabe through this thread if you want to sign up. We look to have most of the organising for specific BwB events under control [touches wood]. There may be things we will ask you to do on the night(s) but for now assistance is required by the Con in general more than the BwB itself.

Generally, please keep the Thursday night (2/9) free for an exclusive BwB event. The Friday and Saturday nights are party nights and we will confirm HERE which night will be the knighting party etc.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited dates because Azmure kindly noted below that I am a numpty.

I arrive on Monday 30th August, my plane lands at 8:30 pm Melbourne time. Flying to Sydney on an early morning flight on Tuesday 7th September (plane leaves at 8:50 am) and staying in Sydney until Sunday 12th, when I have to be at the airport at some ungodly hour of the morning (take off at 6am) to go to Wellington to visit my aunt and grandpa.

As above, PM if you want my number.

Okay, now I'm starting to get really excited!

My wife and I are flying in with some friends on the Wednesday night. We're all staying at a friend's apartment, which helps when saving up for all the other stuff I'm sure to be spending money on that week. Will definitely keep Thursday night free for the BWB event (assume that should be 2/9 rather than 3/9?), and looking forward to the Friday/Saturday nights.

Stubby, will PM you my contact number.

Bring on September!

I'm SO excited - I'll be there on Wednesday arvo and leave on Monday night. A BWB event on Thursday night sounds great - looking forward to meeting you all!!

MG - I'm nearish Sydney but I'm working those days plus I'm on call nights so it doesn't look like I'll be able to get in to the city to meet you. I'm sure you'll love Sydney anyhoo - btw, it seems like everyone I know from overseas stays at the Sheraton on the Park, they must have some great deals!! I bet Malt's staying at the Sheraton too ;)

MG - I'm nearish Sydney but I'm working those days plus I'm on call nights so it doesn't look like I'll be able to get in to the city to meet you. I'm sure you'll love Sydney anyhoo - btw, it seems like everyone I know from overseas stays at the Sheraton on the Park, they must have some great deals!! I bet Malt's staying at the Sheraton too ;)

I got a 3 nights for the price of 2 deal. That puts the total price in a similar range to hotels which are one star rating lower which is still quite expensive to be honest, but I don't mind paying a little more for quality. Some of the cheaper places in that area had some pretty negative reviews.

I did some looking around for weekend tours from Melbourne and found this one that looks ideal for me:

adventuretours.com

Anyone been with this company before? Heard of them by reputation? Any good?

If I go for this then my plan would be to take the Sat 28 tour, leaving at 7 am and getting back into Melbourne on the Monday evening, about 7 pm. I would just need to find somewhere to stay on Fri 27, but the main problem is finding somewhere to store my luggage, won't be able to take it all with me.

I did also notice that they have a 3 day safari tour from Sydney to Melbourne which would have made a lot more sense for me to do, would have saved me the cost of a flight, but nevermind, we live and learn.

Reading these last posts now I'm getting excited, dammit!

Flying in Wednesday morning on the 1st. Google street-view seems out of date as my place to crash shows a construction site. Can't check in that early but will store my luggage and shoot over to the MCEC to help out. Will get in touch with Stubby before then. Flying out early on Tuesday the 7th.

BTW, first time visiting Victoria so, How's Melbourne's climate in the first week of Spring?

Archived