Whats games have you been playing of late? Exclusive Beta Edition.

Mackaxx

Forgot to say, I played the Brutal Legend demo...and its pretty fun. Im picking that one up on release date in ROCKTOBER!

This game has barely been on my radar, but sometime between deciding to check out the demo and actually playing it, I managed to convince myself to expect it to blow me away.

The demo did not in any way, shape, or form blow me away. The setting is intriguing, but suffers a bit from there being a bit of an overload of awesome - sort of like bad Japanese anime design, only with American ideas of awesome rather than Japanese. The gameplay was entirely unexciting.

Yet somehow I'm still having to deal with this conviction that the game will blow me away if I just give it the chance, and now I'm thinking about buying it even though the demo was pretty 'meh'.

This game has barely been on my radar, but sometime between deciding to check out the demo and actually playing it, I managed to convince myself to expect it to blow me away.

The demo did not in any way, shape, or form blow me away. The setting is intriguing, but suffers a bit from there being a bit of an overload of awesome - sort of like bad Japanese anime design, only with American ideas of awesome rather than Japanese. The gameplay was entirely unexciting.

Yet somehow I'm still having to deal with this conviction that the game will blow me away if I just give it the chance, and now I'm thinking about buying it even though the demo was pretty 'meh'.

Not sure in what way, shape, or form you were expected to be "blown away". I mean maybe you were hoping for Backstreet Boys to come out and sing "I Want It That Way" to you in the intro? I couldnt say.

The fucking game has Ozzy, Lemmy from Motorhead, Rob Halford, AND Tim Curry doing voices. The game is Schafer's tribute to all things metal.

The gameplay was limited to one very short level...in which you have just unlocked the very basic of moves and combos.

The demo was fucking fun, funny, and ridiculous. Im not sure what there was to NOT love about it.

The demo was fucking fun, funny, and ridiculous. Im not sure what there was to NOT love about it.

Agreed.

The demo was a lot of fun, with some pretty funny moments. I have to say, that when Eddie grabs the axe for the first time and Children of the Grave kicked on in the background.... I may have gotten a woody.

Only problem I had was with the driving. Felt kinda unresponsive at times and there were several times where the camera moved to such an angle that I couldn't see a damn thing... and I couldn't move the camera from that angle. :P

Hopefully that's the only issue in the game as this looks to be a winner.

Portal: oh, man. That was great. Perhaps not quite as great as it's been hyped to be, but pretty great.

HL2: Episode 2: Good, but the final battle was a little irritating, and it had the least satisfying ending of any Half-Life yet (er. well, okay, I didn't play blue shift or opposing force, so maybe those were lesser. Whatever).

Portal: oh, man. That was great. Perhaps not quite as great as it's been hyped to be, but pretty great.

HL2: Episode 2: Good, but the final battle was a little irritating, and it had the least satisfying ending of any Half-Life yet (er. well, okay, I didn't play blue shift or opposing force, so maybe those were lesser. Whatever).

Blue Shift has the weakest ending of any Half-Life game. After escaping from Black Mesa, instead of G-Man turning up and recruiting you for his sinister organisation he, erm, can't be bothered and the game ends with you getting into a car and driving off. Exciting. It does explain how Barney (whom you are playing in Blue Shift) escaped to fight again in HL2 though.

Opposing Force is awesome, probably as good as Half-Life itself, and should be played it at all possible. The ending is pretty similar to HL1's though (no Xen though!). I really liked the bits of the game which intersected with the original HL1, such as running into the big teleport chamber near the end of the game just in time to see Gordon jumping through. The portal then collapses and you have to finish off all the flying things that you (as Gordon) was fighting in HL1 beforehand. Some really good ideas there.

According to Valve, they want to do a sequel to Opposing Force, possibly involving Adrian Shepherd being released by G-Man to play a role in the Seven Hour War. This could be awesome, especially if they recruited Gearbox to do it again.

Yes, Gearbox are a big company these days, and have come far since they started with Opposing Force ten years ago. However, them doing huge, big projects now means they are unlikely to come back to do Opposing Force 2 (although it would probably sell quite well).

OK this really doesn't warrant its own thread so i figured i would ask it here

Why the hell is it taking so long for square enix to release Dragon Quest IX in the US and how is the shitty thing that has become Final Fantasy so popular in the US When The complete awesomeness that is Dragon Warrior (yeah yeah it will always be Dragon Warrior to me) only a big hit in Japan??? I just don't get it. I hate JRPGS but I love Dragon Quest and use to love Final Fantasy up on till 7 it was all down hill from there

oh and has anyone played Dragon Quest Wars? is it any good? I like chess and love Dragon quest.

Why the hell is it taking so long for square enix to release Dragon Quest IX in the US and how is the shitty thing that has become Final Fantasy so popular in the US When The complete awesomeness that is Dragon Warrior (yeah yeah it will always be Dragon Warrior to me) only a big hit in Japan??? I just don't get it. I hate JRPGS but I love Dragon Quest and use to love Final Fantasy up on till 7 it was all down hill from there

oh and has anyone played Dragon Quest Wars? is it any good? I like chess and love Dragon quest.

Dragon Warrior/Quest is a gigantic grindfest. You may like it, but it's not an especially popular model for American console gamers.

In the past it was pretty popular, but Dragon Quest just refined, while Final Fantasy evolved to fit the new paradigm, and DQ just fell out of style. It's kept strong on handhelds, though. As for DQ IX, sorry, I don't know any more than you do.

In the past it was pretty popular, but Dragon Quest just refined, while Final Fantasy evolved to fit the new paradigm, and DQ just fell out of style. It's kept strong on handhelds, though. As for DQ IX, sorry, I don't know any more than you do.

yea final fantasy evolved into almost one big cut scene with amazing graphics and no depth its more like watching a movie than playing a RPG

yea final fantasy evolved into almost one big cut scene with amazing graphics and no depth its more like watching a movie than playing a RPG

Well, that really depends on your opinion on that era of RPG's. I'm personally inclined to agree with you, but not everyone would say the same.

gigantic grindfest. You may like it, but it's not an especially popular model for American console gamers.

Millions of annoying morons in classic WoW (premium grindfest era) would disagree...

Archived