The Cersei Casting Thread

The Pita

This is the thread to discuss Cersei's casting. Please keep comments on an even level, and no personal insults.

I'll start:

I was actually depressed that Idris Elba wasn't Cersei. He definitely could've pulled it off.

The thing with Cersei is the same thing with Batman and with Superman or any other severely bipolar character. You need an actress who can play sweet for Cersei, so that her non-sweet moments will be all the more terrifying. You need an actor who can play a smug rich guy for Bruce Wayne, so that the transformation to Batman will be more shocking. You need an actor who can play a shy introvert for Clark Kent so that when he's Superman, he's unrecognizable, even if he puts his glasses back on. That's my issue with Lena Headey. She does scary well. I've never seen her do sweet. But if GRRM says she did an amazing job and she has amazing range, I trust him on this one.

And please, for god's sake, PLEASE, make no comments on her boob size. I'm one of the few teenagers here and I'd like it to remain such.

So people can devote a whole thread to complaining about Cersei casting, but anyone who mentions not liking the Dany casting is spit on and called names.

Interesting.

(No, I'm not bitching about casting. I've warmed a bit to the idea of TM, after seeing her non-Tudors reel, but the way this board clicks sometimes is bizzare)

ETA: The above comments were aimed toward the previous thread title. Thanks for changing it.

Yeah, Tamzin Merchant is more of a question mark for me than Headey, but in truth i don't have a problem with either.

Its not really possible to have massive misgivings about either casting untill we see them in the role. I'm not really sure what there is to discuss other than Headey's (possible) physical mishaps, thus i don't understand the true point of the thread.

Can we at least agree that Jennifer Ehle is going to be fantastic? Or is that too much to ask?

No! She's going to suck!

:)

Kidding. She was fantastic in Possession, though I think that's the only movie I've seen her in. The cast seems pretty solid.

These debates will fade from memory once we can see the show, instead of watching it play in our heads like amateur theater or Oscar bait film (depending on your personal feelings).

Right now, I can see the Hound on his knees screaming, "Stella!" :stunned: I mean, "Sansa!"

We don't know if she'll be fantastic. I mean she probably will be, but how can you agree on whether someone will portray a role well before they actually do it?

No, you're right. I mean, fire burned me the last five or six times I stuck my hand in it, but there's no guarantee that it will continue to burn me. And sure two plus two was four last time I checked, but it's really impossible to say for sure that it won't be five the next time I try it out.

:lol: Alright, I'll bite.

I am disturbed by the mole on Lena Headey's face. Cersei is described as extraordinarily beautiful a number of times in the books. As everyone knows, moles decrease by one's beauty by an average of 33%. Cindy Crawford was consequently only the fifth most beautiful woman in the world when she might have been 1st.

Can we expand this to more actors? I am concerned the actor playing Tyrion is too short. He is described as "the lion of Lannister" several times in the novels, which implies he is larger.

No, you're right. I mean, fire burned me the last five or six times I stuck my hand in it, but there's no guarantee that it will continue to burn me. And sure two plus two was four last time I checked, but it's really impossible to say for sure that it won't be five the next time I try it out.

What rubbish. Jennifer Ehle is a human who is perfectly capable of messing up, just like anyone else. I'm just warning against this ridiculous way people decide so and so will put in a great performance while someone else will totally fail before it happens.

This is the thread to discuss Cersei's casting. Please keep comments on an even level, and no personal insults.

---

And please, for god's sake, PLEASE, make no comments on her boob size. I'm one of the few teenagers here and I'd like it to remain such.

[MOD]

I will just echo these ground rules on behalf of the mods.

Keep it clean, please.

[/MOD]

:lol:

So people can devote a whole thread to complaining about Cersei casting, but anyone who mentions not liking the Dany casting is spit on and called names.

Well, complaints about the Dany casting were of limited scope due to the actress's limited exposure. Basically, they were limited to people complaining about her looks, saying they didn't believe her as "the most beautiful woman in the world", etc. Completely subjective arguments all, and not particularly conducive to much more than disagreements and name-calling.

Lena Headey is more of a known quantity, and thus the criticism of her casting can be a bit more substantive (and some, but not all of it, has been).

One can't take it as a given that every great actor will do well in every project they do. So many factors go into it... The direction could be utterly horrible and inconsistent, the scripts could be dire and not even the greatest thespian can save them, etc.

But sure, actors like Dinklage and Ehle have a certain strong track record, so it's fairer to trust them to do well, all else being equal.

That's my issue with Lena Headey. She does scary well. I've never seen her do sweet. But if GRRM says she did an amazing job and she has amazing range, I trust him on this one.

She was extremely sweet and lovely as the lesbian owner of a flower shop in "Imagine you and me"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421994/

So lovely and sweet in fact that I fell head over heels for her character, even with me being straight.

I am boy though, so maybe that helps to explain it ;)

Archived