Goodkind XLVI: Behold the BRILLIANCE

Gabriele

No allowances. That implies a compromise. Compromising is un-truthful. Are you full of lies and hatred for all that is good and Truthy?

You make a reasonable point. Either something is true or it isn't, there can be no compromise! What exists, exists! You're with us or against us! Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent! Um... whatever that other quote was about absolute values!

...but no. I raise my lemming flag high and claim the right to see grey areas.

*chooses death*

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading Abercrombie's Best Served Cold lately, and just stumbled on this amusing conversation late in the book. I'll leave out names in case it's spoilerish.

'Why the hell do you have a goat?'

'Noble beast, the goat. She reminds me, in your absence, to be tenacious, single-minded and hard-working. You have to stick at something in your life.' The goat looked up and bleated in apparent agreement.

I wonder if this was intentional, because it had me cracking up.

I do! I asked Joe about it when he was in The Netherlands a few weeks back. He said he did not do it on purpose, but that he'd read about it on this forum afterwards. He didn't seem to mind the fact that he'd been bashing the Yeard unknowingly ;)

He signed my copy of BSC with "To Erik, with many noble goats, Joe Abercrombie" :D

Ah, that's sort of a shame. But given that we've been talking about noble goats here for at least 3 years, I like to imagine that Yeard-bashing had somehow crept into his subconscious and emerged as a glorious Lemming easter egg... :D

I noticed this too. Wish it was deliberate, but as Min said, I like to think that Joe knew what he was doing on a subconscious level. And now that he is aware of the relevance of the noble goat, I hope we see more of them in future volumes.

Been reading Abercrombie's Best Served Cold lately, and just stumbled on this amusing conversation late in the book. I'll leave out names in case it's spoilerish.

'Why the hell do you have a goat?'

'Noble beast, the goat. She reminds me, in your absence, to be tenacious, single-minded and hard-working. You have to stick at something in your life.' The goat looked up and bleated in apparent agreement.

I wonder if this was intentional, because it had me cracking up.

Heh, I asked him about this at a signing in Oslo some months ago too. Must be a re-occurring question though he seemed a little surprised when I asked him.

I was at Barnes and Nobel today and they already had the new Law of Nines for 6.99 on the discount rack by the front door.. they should have used a few of them to keep the floor mat from curling up at the edges as I nearly tripped.

Ah, that's sort of a shame. But given that we've been talking about noble goats here for at least 3 years, I like to imagine that Yeard-bashing had somehow crept into his subconscious and emerged as a glorious Lemming easter egg... :D

Unintentional or not, THAT'S and Easter Egg...would that the Yeard and his fans understood that...

I was at Barnes and Nobel today and they already had the new Law of Nines for 6.99 on the discount rack by the front door.. they should have used a few of them to keep the floor mat from curling up at the edges as I nearly tripped.

It's good to know that it is ending up where it deserves to be. :lol:

It hasn't reached that point where I live but that's probably because the shops near me didn't order that many copies.

from 2:15 on.

Setting all my urges to punch him in the face aside, it's interesting to watch that part. He doesn't interpret evil as simplistically as I thought he might. But he draws entirely the wrong conclusions from his analysis. Isnt this pretty ironic? "So those are the kind of characters that scare me the most.. the characters who are devoted to their philosophy".

Hm. Seriously fucked up. But interesting to see how he looks at it nonetheless.

from 2:15 on.

Setting all my urges to punch him in the face aside, it's interesting to watch that part. He doesn't interpret evil as simplistically as I thought he might. But he draws entirely the wrong conclusions from his analysis. Isnt this pretty ironic? "So those are the kind of characters that scare me the most.. the characters who are devoted to their philosophy".

Hm. Seriously fucked up. But interesting to see how he looks at it nonetheless.

I agree with you on that, but also find it interesting that he says evil thinks its doing good, but than in his books goes out of his way to make his antagonists do as many bad things as possible so there can be no question as to how evil they are, then at least as far as i got, he never once gave a justification for why they were doing it.

Archived