Dublin: The Octocon edition?

Padraig

the fates really like to mess with us, don't they? Still, we'd rather have you racing than not racing, and there will be other times, we'll just have to do without you.

but it won't be as much fun as it would be with you.

damnit.

You're such a Lady.

And you are right, I'm very grumpy when away from horses, let alone depressed. (And forget about fun)

But if it had been yesterday, or bloody tomorrow, I could have been there

Just in the door from the signing and moot. I think the final numbers count for the signing was somewhere around 300. Eason's didn't seem to have been prepared for that number, we seemed to take over half of the downstairs floor!

Unfortunately could only stay at the moot for about an hour as we had our little one year old with us, but met a few fellow BwBers, nice to meet you all, you're a welcoming bunch! Thanks to Parris as well for coming over a few times and saying hi!

Wow!! I'm just home from traveling up to Dublin. I just got my 1st edition signed and George and Parris couldn't have been nicer.

George let me take a picture with him, and when he saw I was buying The Gathering Storm he said Robert Jordan is a terrific guy... then he corrected himself saying he was a terrific guy.

They had to hurry me through due to my immense fanboy high and extremely long queue.

Still after getting my books signed I saw Parris alone so I enquired her about the moot, she was really lovely and kept me entertained for about 2-3 minutes (while I was 5 yards away from George) with anecdotes and information.Apparently all the actors/actresses were busy filming. She also said Ron Donachie was looking perfect and had already read the books.

Unfortunatly I couldn't make the moot because I had to get a lift back home.

Delighted I went anyway and I have a great picture of me and George. Also I have a signed hardback cover Game of Thrones that I plan on keeping for all time, and forcing my future children to read.

George started signing at 5:05 or so, after Parris finished giving some brief information. He didn't finish until around 7:20-7:35. Not too sure, because I looked at my clock sometime after leaving.

During the signing SerMountainGoat and I just sat back watching the lines remarking to each other back and forth. The lines didn't get any shorter for the first hour and a half. I must've been stopped five or six times by random people asking me who this guy was signing things. MountainGoat was mistaken for a store employee at least twice, though he didn't look even remotely like the pinstriped Eason's people. Still don't quite understand that one.

But you should've seen the faces. I wouldn't disagree, there was somewhere in the vicinity of 300-350 people there for the signing. Every one of them with bright, beaming faces; so excited to see their favorite author. Everyone was so friendly, numbers were being exchanged, people were connecting over discussions of their favorite characters. A good time to be had by all.

I have many, many pictures that will have to be updated when I get back home. Sometime day after tomorrow I assume.

Afterwards the moot was supposed to be held at The Oval, but because the management of that place can't read a damn ledger, they didn't realize they double booked the place and refused to let us sit. So quickly some arrangement was done behind the scenes and we found a new place in The Abbey Hotel, which was an absolutely lovely bar, with a very bookish feel to it. I felt like it was rather fortuitous.

George chatted with small groups of 6-9 eager fans, yearning for more information on Dances, the filming, future projects etc. Meanwhile the rest of the BwB in attendance got to know other fans from all over it seemed. We chatted, we laughed, we smiled. Then at 9:45, I realized I needed to get some much needed rest if I was to wake up at 7:45 for breakfast in preparation for an early flight. So we split, and here I am typing.

A wonderful trip to Ireland. Belfast...and Dublin.

More evident than ever before....Winter is Coming. ;)

Got back from the moot a little while ago. Pity that I couldn't stay too long, with college tomorrow, but the night blew away my highest expectations.

I got in at around 16:00ish, and met up with a mate at the Cafe on the top floor. At 16:15, we went down, and managed to be about twenty people back from the front of the queue. Once it started, we were lining up for about 15 minutes before both myself, Aaron, and my friend, Ivan, got our copes of Songs of the Dying Earth, A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings signed, and I was delighted having met him! So, we lined up again, to get the rest of the series signed, since there was a three-book limit. We queued up for about an hour and a half from the other end of the shop, chatting with people with whole time. The waiting flew by, and even though holding 2,000+ pages of fantasy for so long started to weigh heavy on our little student arms, we got both A Storm of Swords volumes signed, as well as A Feast for Crows. By that time, George knew our names well! :D

Just before we got our last books signed, Parris announced that the Oval, the pub that the BwB had chosen, had double-booked. Considering how long the signing session was, it was a lost cause for us! However, we all went to the Abbey Hotel instead. All the BwBers sat up in an elevated area, and drank while George was downstairs talking with (we think!) Eason's people and one of the co-chairpeople for Octocon, the Irish Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Convention, but he came up close to 8:30. Parris said to crowd around, and we did, instantly! Had a great little chat with Parris and George, and left shortly after. I'm quite wrecked now, so I'm off to sleep before my 06:50 arising.

A great night, and one I'll remember fondly. I'll look forward to Octocon! :D

wow.

Dublin, Bros, fans and friends:

YOU FOLKS TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a night.

thanks so much, maybe I'll have something more coherent to say tomorrow, but tonight, all I can say, for both of us,

thank you thank you thank you

and

see you next October at Octocon, if not before.......

Gah!

Still sickened that I missed it because of a college, but at about quarter to five I got a surprise phonecall from none other than my girlfriend, telling me she was in the line and asking what I wanted George to sign. I don't even remember telling her about the signing! Man she rocks.

On a side not, I'm not such a prominent boarder myself, but I really never knew there were so many Irish here!

Just home now, had a really great time, was kinda worried as I was attending by myself but everyone was really friendly, even the two hour q was entertaining, was a tad dissapointed as I had planned on picking up a copy of 'The Ice Dragon' and getting it signed for my kids, but they didn't have it there, and the person behind the desk acted like i was a crazy woman asking for it, according to her records that book didnt exist, so I made a quick dash for waterstones, they at least acknowledged the existance of the book, but said they didnt have it in stock, oh well, I will just pick it up in easons in blanch, my only regret is not picking it up there when i first saw it, but apart from that, I really enjoyed the evening, meeting GRRM and getting to just thank him for writing ASOfAI was worth the whole evening and everything I had to arrange to be there:) I am a happy bunny:)

Karen

Wow! I have nothing to add to what everybody else has already said. Great turnout. Great night.

I just want to post a personal thanks to the Goat, Aragorn and Walther for letting me pick the food. I know that last bit doesn't make sense to everybody else...

I hope you all got home in one piece too!

I too was a giddy attendee to the signing (and later at the moot in the abbey...) my first ever book signing in fact! I brought my kids to the signing and they actually got a kick out of the atmosphere while queuing! (The mood was really buoyant and cordial, kids respond really well to that methinks).

I have to say I wasn’t at all surprised to see 300+ people queuing to meet George – I was chuffed to speak to him briefly at last, and to get my books signed. Thanks to all for the warm welcome later in the abbey (given I didn’t know a soul, aside from Pod). I’ll definitely try and pop along again!

Pity Pod made such a mess of the arrangements… ( ;) sorry Pod, couldn’t help myself!)

Was sickened to find out on leaving the Oval after nearly 2 hours that it had been moved to the hotel. These things happen though and i was talking to 2 lads who had made the same mistake as me. Had a great time. Would have stayed around longer if it wasnt for having to get the last train home. Everyone seemed lovely. Will be at octocon next year again definately. Should have gotten my longclaw stand signed...

Wow! I have nothing to add to what everybody else has already said. Great turnout. Great night.

I just want to post a personal thanks to the Goat, Aragorn and Walther for letting me pick the food. I know that last bit doesn't make sense to everybody else...

I hope you all got home in one piece too!

Who did you er Volunteer?

I'm glad everyone had fun, I can hardly wait till the 11th.

Glad Parris/GRRM and everyone else had a great time. :)

Amazing turn out. Easons and everyone got a pleasant surprise.

And just to add...regarding the mix up with the sceduling at The Oval.

Pity Pod made such a mess of the arrangements

Crazy people letting me organise anything! :P

Btw, thanks to Sarah and Deedles for helping us get another place/point people to the right location. Walking around the streets of Dublin looking for a place willing to take a bunch of fantasy geeks isn't as much as fun as you'd think!

And apologies to anyone that never learned that we moved from the Oval. :blush: I hope you at least got the books signed earlier.

Special mention to the person who had to race off to take a ferry to Wales before everything got established in the Abbey!

Archived