Dublin: The Octocon edition?

Padraig

What a great night.

I have far too few photos to share. I'll see how they came out.

So great to catch up with you all again. Everyone seemed to be getting along really well, plenty of new faces, though I didn't get to talk to many.

I had one fellow ask me about the BwB (because I was wearing my Dorne t-shirt from LAcon 2006) and I gave him some pointers to this forum, so hopefully we can have a few new regulars :)

Thanks so much to deedles for the organisation. The night was a great success despite the Oval doing their best to make it not so.

I know she was facing up to a *very* tough day at work today, so she might not see this for a while, but I'm grateful for the effort she put in to organising the moot and ensuring people knew about the very late change of venue and I'm sure everyone who attended feels the same.

Thanks very much to Peadar for his patience when we kept him from leaving with our conversation, even though he only popped over to say goodnight on his way out; for giving me and my girlfriend a lift home; and for leaving us completely intact. I'd say we were very lucky. I imagine not too many travellers leave his bonewagon with the same body weight as they entered.

I hope the Nork wasn't too wrathful!

Wert, Eefa,

The Dave McKean signing was downstairs; George was on the ground floor. They wound the queue all through the back of the store to handle the length. I've never really been to a signing before (apart from the launch of Peadar's "The Inferior" - though that was a launch, not just a signing), so I'm not sure how good a job they did. I thought everything went very smoothly though and no one had a bad word to say about it, so I'm happy to think that it all went well.

There were a few people who joined our queue and eventually realised that this wasn't the queue for Dave McKean before being directed downstairs.

Gabriele,

I hadn't thought of that, but I think you may be right. There did seem to be quite a few people who travelled for this.

Ran,

they are doing nothing about the accents. George pointed out that the show is being created for an American audience who wont notice the differences between differing regional accents if they're foreign.

The linguist/dialogue people/person are there to create the sounds to have a coherent sound for the Dothraki language, not for accents of the English speaking characters.

Was sickened to find out on leaving the Oval after nearly 2 hours that it had been moved to the hotel. These things happen though and i was talking to 2 lads who had made the same mistake as me. Had a great time. Would have stayed around longer if it wasnt for having to get the last train home. Everyone seemed lovely. Will be at octocon next year again definately. Should have gotten my longclaw stand signed...

Sorry to hear that. The Oval's owners seem to have really screwed us on this one. They could at the very least have contacted deedles when they got the enquiry from the other event.

Pod and deedles did do a lot to try to ensure that people knew about the change of plans, so it seems unfortunate that some people were missed out (but inevitable, I suppose).

On a side not, I'm not such a prominent boarder myself, but I really never knew there were so many Irish here!

That's the thing, there wasn't.

Of course there's only about 5 posts between the lot of yiz, but hopefully you'll stick around, because the irish BwB has been slack so far :P

That's the thing, there wasn't.

Of course there's only about 5 posts between the lot of yiz, but hopefully you'll stick around, because the irish BwB has been slack so far :P

Haha, well, I'm a consistent lurker, just not so much a poster :P Still, I'm willing to do what I can for our good name!

It was great to go along and nice to see a good turnout. I'm massively impressed by George's ability to sign for so long (my hand cramps after just a short while writing) and also keep up such good spirits and chat with person after person.

Thanks to the people who organized the moot afterwards, you guys did a really good job of quickly adapting after the bar screwed up, I'd never be that organized. I only got chatting to a few people afterwards but it was nice meeting them.

It was great to go along and nice to see a good turnout. I'm massively impressed by George's ability to sign for so long (my hand cramps after just a short while writing) and also keep up such good spirits and chat with person after person.

Lol, he's been writing since back at the time when the most advanced technology was a mechanic typewriter. He's probably done a fair share of longhand writing in his life.

I only write on the computer since I got my first Atari in 1981 (and I had a typewriter before), but when I have to take notes by hand during lectures, I still can do it for hours without cramping. Old habits die hard. ;)

It seemed to me that he had a particular writing style for signing.

He seemed to hold the pen rather high up and do all the movements in his arm rather than the wrist and then write in a flowing, loopy sort of style.

Like I said earlier, I've never really been to a signing before, but it seems to me that most authors would probably have to adopt such a technique to avoid cramp in signings.

Yep, the Oval disaster was my fault - and not Pod's for a change. Many apologies! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Actually, that's not entirely true as it was mgt of the Oval - the bastards. I'm really really sorry. I had gone in twice and never got any hint that there was an issue. I was particularly peeved that they couldn't bother to ring me. Apparently there were 2 reservation books! and the manager who was working had taken the booking from the Social Welfare leaving do that trumped us. The guy I'd booked with was the day time barman. They did ring me the following day (proving that they had my number - muppets) but were given short shrift.

I can only apologise to anyone who was left in there. I did make a few sorties, but obviously failed to get everyone. Pod and Sarah did put notices up too.

I'm glad to hear that most people enjoyed it though.

Yep, the Oval disaster was my fault - and not Pod's for a change. Many apologies! Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Actually, that's not entirely true as it was mgt of the Oval Pod - the bastards. I'm really really sorry.

I noticed some minor spelling errors in you post and took the liberty of correcting them.

• 3 weeks later...

Three weeks in the making, it is finally complete - my report on both the Belfast and Dublin meet ups are now available on my brand new website for Worldcon and BWB meet up Reports.

The site includes public discussion threads in Google Wave and I will shortly be starting threads here on the board as well.

Three weeks in the making, it is finally complete - my report on both the Belfast and Dublin meet ups are now available on my brand new website for Worldcon and BWB meet up Reports.

The site includes public discussion threads in Google Wave and I will shortly be starting threads here on the board as well.

Oh my God, our faces got a mention! xD We wrote like "Save Robb" on ourselves on the train ride. It cost us many a strange glance from passers by. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of which Goat,

how should I get you those pictures? Whats the best format for you? We're talking 50+ pictures here so...

Hey Romulocks!

How are the wedding plans coming along - I think we are due an update.

You've got my email address, right? Reduce the size of the pics to 800 x 600 if you can, put them in a ZIP file and email it to me. I will pick them up and add them to my BWB Photo Gallery if you're cool with them going there :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated the Ireland 2009 report with a couple of minor corrections and amendments to the Dublin signing:

* Added names of Octocon Committee members who I met

* Inserted apology to Walther and Aragorn for getting their nationalities mixed up

* Added name for Young Lady of Lannister

• 1 year later...

I have been reminded by a "Dubliner who shall not be named" that I said something about a few of us meeting in Dublin in the New Year. It seems to be the new year now. :)

So not sure when would be suitable. Some Friday after work maybe? In February to give us all some time to prepare ourselves?

Archived