I have a small concern

HT Reddy

Now I haven't read the script of the pilot, and don't particularly want to, but it just struck me that I hope that the series is written using British english not American dialect - I know that would be a bit odd, because the books themselves are written in American, the television programme is being made by an American company and the people doing the scripts are American too - based on just that I wouldn't have any problem with the series using American words. But given that the actors are mostly British, it will seem odd to me if they start speaking in American. It's not a huge issue, but it will be a noticeable one to me and there's a risk of it sounding slightly strange to Brits, I fear.

Accent, not language.

Given that most of the cast and all the extras are going to be from the U.K., I don't really think there's anything to worry about. Most characters will speak with some U.K. accent. The one thing I wonder about is whether there'll be differences between regions, but if there are it's likely that they'll just draw from regional U.K. accents.

The one possibility I can see is the Lannisters with an American accent, what with Dinklage as Tyrion. That would be an amusing reversal of the Hollywood trend to have villains with posh British accents.

I think he means more dialect than accent. There are certain speech patterns and ways of using language which are peculiarly American, and speech patterns and ways of using language that are peculiarly British. It does sometimes sound a little strange to hear someone with a British accent speaking with an American speech pattern, as I'm sure it sounds just as odd the other way around.

Accent, not language.

No this is nothing to do with accent - what I mean is, to use a very small example, it will sound strange to hear a British actor with a British accent, use the word 'fall' to mean autumn. Like I said, the books are written in American, so to use the word fall would be more faithful, but it would be odd to hear a British actor say that, is all.

The one possibility I can see is the Lannisters with an American accent, what with Dinklage as Tyrion. That would be an amusing reversal of the Hollywood trend to have villains with posh British accents.

I've seen Dinklage on stage in a production of Richard III and IIRC he spoke with a perfect Mid-Atlantic accent, which is an accent that is literally half-way between American and English and sounds largely 'accentless' on both sides of the pond. Actually, to most Americans it probably will sound like a slight English accent, but not so much if you are from the North East/New England. It's an accent often used by actors for productions of Shakespeare and other plays of the era. It's very common among actors from both sides of The Pond.

In other words, assuming he uses this same accent he should blend in just fine.

Oh, I know that. I saw him as a Traveller in some Lassie film and he sounded fine. I just meant that with him, and Headey obviously able to do a suitable American accent, and Coster-Waldau having done so as well, that they could go the American route if they wanted.

I get the point now, re: dialect and word choices. Apologies for misunderstanding. That said, I think I'm personally rather insensitive to it, so I don't know that I would care. I think perhaps people from the U.K. (and Britain in particular) may be more conscious of this than Americans are.

I had a quick skim through the pilot script to see if there was anything that stood out to me. The only thing I spotted was someone (Robert or Ned, can't remember which) saying "You've gotten fat". 'Gotten' is not a word which is commonly used by Brits. We'd just say "You've got fat" or "You've grown fat", or something along those lines.

Maybe Brits are more sensitive to it than Americans are. I know when I'm reading books by American authors with British characters in them, I do regularly pick up on words or speech patterns that just don't sound British to my ear.

I'm more concerned with the speech patterns sounding suitably faux-medieval moreso than either British or American. Sometimes that means using British speech patterns, other times American, and more often than not a traditional 'Shakespearean' style that pretty much transcends national borders these days.

I had to smile, reading this thread. It brought back such amusing memories for me from when I first read the Harry Potter books, British editions. (I'm American) A boy introducing another boy as his 'mate' was pretty startling to me. But the most amusing was when Ron and Harry discuss receiving Christmas presents of 'jumpers' from Mrs. Weasley. I was like 'What??' Ron and Harry are not only mates, but they're going to wear jumpers?? What the hell kind of book is this, anyway!?

In America, a 'jumper' (besides being someone who commits suicide by leaping off a high bridge) is a girl's skirt with attached front bib. Its worn with a blouse underneath. So, there I was with this mental image of Harry and Ron as mates (husband and wife? boyfriend-girlfriend?) wearing these cute little girl outfits, ala Alice in Wonderland. It was only during a discussion at an HP forum that I learned that 'jumper' to the Brits means a pullover sweater. Whew, glad that got cleared up!

:lol:

I think perhaps people from the U.K. (and Britain in particular) may be more conscious of this than Americans are.

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of consciousness on the Americans part. I think it has more to do with differing attitudes towards the language variations. Americans seem to view the differences as quaint, while the British are more likely to view them as boorish. And I know, I know, this is an over-generalization, but one based on personal experience.

Regarding the OP: It doesn't make any difference to me how they handle the language, except "whatever HBO likes best", so they order the series!

Maybe it's because i'm american, but i don't really care if they use some american phrasing. After all, these characters aren't british or american but westerosi, and maybe their phrasing is in between. I can't see getting bent out of shape if they aren't authentic to British phrasing when this takes place in a fictional setting and not Great Britain. I mean, how could you be offended for them not being exact when it isn't supposed to be that land, but a fictional fantastical version? Also, i am sure since the cast is largely british, when they read a line that sounds awkward to them they will probably say it how it should sound to them rather than being married to that particular wording. Often if you read something quickly, or skim something you will fill in the blanks how you think it will go, not necessarily word for word. I know when i read the same bedtime story to my son every night that it has become so ingrained in my mind that i hardly look at the page except to point stuff out and i do accidentally change the wording to suit me. Course, there are some lines that the actors won't be allowed to mess with because they are iconic or integral to the book.

Maybe it's because i'm american, but i don't really care if they use some american phrasing. After all, these characters aren't british or american but westerosi, and maybe their phrasing is in between. I can't see getting bent out of shape if they aren't authentic to British phrasing when this takes place in a fictional setting and not Great Britain. I mean, how could you be offended for them not being exact when it isn't supposed to be that land, but a fictional fantastical version?

Clearly I didn't make myself clear - I apologise. Of course you are right, the 'common tongue' of Westeros is indeed American, not English, so based on that it would be odd if I had a problem with the series not being in British English. And, as you say, it's a made up world, so it doesn't really matter. The only reason something like 'gotten' will sound odd is because the production have decided to use mostly British actors - for that reason only, I think they should try to be consistent and use British English for the script.

Also, i am sure since the cast is largely british, when they read a line that sounds awkward to them they will probably say it how it should sound to them rather than being married to that particular wording. Often if you read something quickly, or skim something you will fill in the blanks how you think it will go, not necessarily word for word. I know when i read the same bedtime story to my son every night that it has become so ingrained in my mind that i hardly look at the page except to point stuff out and i do accidentally change the wording to suit me. Course, there are some lines that the actors won't be allowed to mess with because they are iconic or integral to the book.

Hopefully you're right here. We'll see how sctrictly the actors have to keep to the script if it ever comes to air, I guess.

Some words and phrases in the script do sound American, but that is owing to the writer being from the US. The leaked script is an early version though and actors will usually "improve" lines slightly to make it sound more natural.

iheartseverus: I learned a lot about Britain from the HP books too ;)

The actors will probably change things on their own to sound more britsh. I do the same thing when I read soda and I automatically change it to pop.

Also American is not a language it's not even a dialect it's english plain and simple. So odd hearing someone refer to it as its own language.

Some words and phrases in the script do sound American, but that is owing to the writer being from the US. The leaked script is an early version though and actors will usually "improve" lines slightly to make it sound more natural.

iheartseverus: I learned a lot about Britain from the HP books too ;)

Shockingly, the HP universe is not actually an accurate portrayal of the British school system. Sorry Americans.

At least to me, the book read like something set in the sixties.

The only reason something like 'gotten' will sound odd is because the production have decided to use mostly British actors - for that reason only, I think they should try to be consistent and use British English for the script.

That's not much of a reason, IMO.

Weighed against the acknowledged fact that the source material is American, it seems almost inconsequential. I think more people would be pissed off at deviation from source than making it sound its best to British ears.

Were this a British author or more Britain-based setting, I'd totally get your concern - but in this case, I don't.

Archived