Dragon Age: Origins thread II

Rhom

Has anyone else

SPOILER: Vague non-spoiler
Traveled to the Pearl and selected the "Surprise me" dialog option? :lol:

I'm taking my time with this game. I'm around 16 hours in and have only explored 24 percent of the world. I'm not sure how the hell someone would be able to do everything and complete it in thirty hours.

I've taken the surprise option yes.

I really don't know how someone could have done it in 30 hours, I'm over that and haven't even done the Elven recruitment. Even taking out random side quests I'm still going to be miles over that time.

Just finally completed the dwarven area, and just oh jebus at the length of it and the amount of fighting, through my main character has gotten to the point where he can safely take on ogres or golems on his tod.

Either the receipt is wrong or somebody got very confused and did something they shouldn't have. The official claims regarding copy protection are that the only thing it does is a DVD check (which is annoying in and of itself, but doesn't limit the number of installs). The downloadable content requires you to go online, but the game itself shouldn't know how many times it's been installed.

I got the downloadable version, so I don't have to have the discs in to play. I put my download files on to two DVD's for safe keeping and later re-installs, but that's all they are good for.

Is it normal to get those two free downloads? A day after I registered I got an email telling me I could get 2 free things (dragon armor and a golem to join my party, along with some associated new areas, missions and powers). Did I somehow get content that was supposed to only come with the special edition, or something? I only paid $40.00 for the standard version.

I've made it as far as the encampment and am about to start the missions to join the Gray Wardens, so I'm still at the beginning. I really like it so far, love the BG style combat mixed with more modern engine and graphics. So far the story and characters show promise, but I can't say for sure yet about all of that. I did like the dilemmas they give you in the Mage tower between who you will try to help. It shows a more nuanced approach to these conflicts, and because neither seemed to be totally "good" or totally "bad," which is I know what they are specifically going for.

Is it normal to get those two free downloads? A day after I registered I got an email telling me I could get 2 free things (dragon armor and a golem to join my party, along with some associated new areas, missions and powers). Did I somehow get content that was supposed to only come with the special edition, or something? I only paid $40.00 for the standard version.

Yes, it is normal. This is their way of making used sales more expensive: if you buy the game new, they give you the golem and dragon armor, but once you use the code, it is tied to your account once and for all so if you ever sell the game, the person you're selling it to will have to buy them separately (the golem costs a rather absurd $15) or make do with a lesser version of the game. It's not nice of them, but for PC games it doesn't really matter -- the used game market is has been non-existent since the advent of CD keys.

One (non-ASOIF) reference I noticed was on the map, the Kocari Wilds (where you meet Morrigan, voiced by Claudia Black) is labeled "Uncharted Territories". I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I don't think it's likely.

Nice, I missed that one (and I share your confidence that its not a coincidence.

I named my dog just after I realised Morrigan was Claudia Black so mine is Crichton.

I haven't found too many but...

SPOILER: ASOIAF crossover
Allistair is basically Jon Snow if the R+L=J is true.

He's more Gendry (or at best, one of Robert's bastards). He was the product of a king and a serving wench, not of two royals who run off and have a child.

You know, when I was playing last night my computer crashed. It restarted just fine, but it's the first it's crashed in quite a long time.

Mine crashed in the middle of he big battle. We were just about to go into the tower we have to retake to light the beacon.

There's also a sword called Oathkeeper. I think I picked it up after successfully rescuing the girl from Kitty :D, but it might have been found on the clean up the Grey Warden's Castle mission (for our purposes, let's call this fortress Winterfell). Speaking of the Grey Warden Castle Mission, I was supposed to drink Qyburns potion, right? :devil:

The map may seem open-ended, but boy, if you try to go somewhere you're not supposed to, the random encounters switch to "you shall not pass" mode pretty quick.

He's more Gendry (or at best, one of Robert's bastards). He was the product of a king and a serving wench, not of two royals who run off and have a child.

You mean Gendry was raised in a powerful Lord's court as the Lord's bastard son when he secretly was actually the King's? Gentry had this Lord's wife hating him outright because she thought he was her husbands bastard and the husband refused to tell her about it? Gendry was sent into the pseudo mythical force tasked with stopping the possibly imaginary(to the Lord etc.) ancient evils so that his ancestry wouldn't be an issue?

Come on now just because he is actually the son of the king and serving wench instead of a crown prince and noble daughter prom,ised to another doesn't change that he's clearly Jon.

You mean Gendry was raised in a powerful Lord's court as the Lord's bastard son when he secretly was actually the King's? Gentry had this Lord's wife hating him outright because she thought he was her husbands bastard and the husband refused to tell her about it? Gendry was sent into the pseudo mythical force tasked with stopping the possibly imaginary(to the Lord etc.) ancient evils so that his ancestry wouldn't be an issue?

Come on now just because he is actually the son of the king and serving wench instead of a crown prince and noble daughter prom,ised to another doesn't change that he's clearly Jon.

SPOILER: DA
Alistair wasn't sent to the Grey Wardens though, he was sent to the Templars/Chantry. And I haven't read AGoT in a long time, but didn't Jon join up on his own with the Night Watch?

There's also a sword called Oathkeeper. I think I picked it up after successfully rescuing the girl from Kitty biggrin.gif, but it might have been found on the clean up the Grey Warden's Castle mission (for our purposes, let's call this fortress Winterfell). Speaking of the Grey Warden Castle Mission, I was supposed to drink Qyburns potion, right? devil.gif

If I remember correctly, you gain Oathkeeper in Lothering for completing all the chantry board quests there.

I do have to say its amazing what a difference a better weapon and armour does in the game, my first attempt at the Elven recruitment got horribly stygmied when trying to get into the ruins, but when I did it last I breezed through the ruins.

SPOILER: DA
Alistair wasn't sent to the Grey Wardens though, he was sent to the Templars/Chantry. And I haven't read AGoT in a long time, but didn't Jon join up on his own with the Night Watch?

And? Despite the obvious comparisons, one of which you just provided, are you also going to argue that he basically is not Jon Snow?

If you keep hammering long enough any rectangle will fit into any circle I guess.

Well clearly you are right, that is exactly what I have been doing and I apologize. I mean the two have nothing in common beyond being fake people. So glad you are here to tell me these things.

has anyone on the pc version been able to get the ancient Elven armour boots - on the console versions they are apparantly in Lothering, but they can;t be found in the Pc version it seems. Can;t complete the set without them and it looks to be the2nd or 3rd best set of medium armour in the game, one of the better looking sets as well.

Beat it as a human rogue. Replaying now as a female elven mage. This time, Im going to try and f!ck everyone in my party. And it will be hot!

I'm currently on my kill everyone possible campaign as a human bloodmage. Apparently if you kill as many people as possible and act like an all around jerk you end up with barely any party members to pick from and Alistair haaaates you.

I'm currently on my kill everyone possible campaign as a human bloodmage. Apparently if you kill as many people as possible and act like an all around jerk you end up with barely any party members to pick from and Alistair haaaates you.

Heh, Im going to make sure I do everything the opposite on this one as well being an elven hoor.

Archived