Dragon Age: Origins thread II

Rhom

Plot questions:

Curious, and you can spoiler the answer if you want, what is the story line if you chose a mage?

SPOILER: human rogue
I know for human rogue you get the whole joining the Grey Wardens angle, but Im not sure how that would work for a mage. Im guessing you join the Circle and help out the GWs after Ostagar?

SPOILER: Human Mage
Actually whether male, female, human, or elf, all mages have the same story. You are an apprentice and have your Harrowing. Then after some internal politics you either end up as a double-agent for the First Enchanter in rooting out strange behavior, or an accomplice to a hidden Blood Mage. In swoops Duncan to conscript your arse to save you from the Templars either way.

Your choices like the other origins effect the game after Ostagar of course.

I just absolutely love Alisters reaction to saving Connor by blood magic when you next go to camp, and the way that you can twist it around onto him feeling guilty!

I love Alistair's reaction to almost anything. Enough to even overlook the whiny bits. Mostly. :lol:

I love the dialog. Since I married a man who is also addicted to sarcasam, I'm pretty much guaranteed to think Alistair should be dressed in chocolate sauce.

YES yes yes yes yes yes this.

Err, yeah. :leaving:

I've also noticed an unnatural number of familiar names:

Alistair (Allister Thorne, only sexier)

Illiana (Lyanna)

Jory (Jory)

Daveth (Davos)

When I saw the king I said: "Jamie!"

You mean "Jamie with Sansa's soul" Which is even MORE disturbing!

Man, I didn't even think about Liliana/Lyanna. Probably because she's a rogue, not a warrior noble...

So, I'm now downloading the thing. Been dying to play it and I just couldn't wait until tomorrow afternoon to go to my local store to buy it. Anyway, I get the receipt and it says I only have 3 install licenses! Man, I hate that crap.

Three??!! 3??!! Tres!!?? Trois!!?? Gimel!!?? Totes Ridic!

I hope it's worth it. Otherwise I might have to take BioWare to court. (My fancy lawyer friend says all of these software agreements are contracts of adhesion and he thinks they can be overturned if someone ever bothered to try.) :P

Anyway, I get the receipt and it says I only have 3 install licenses!

If it works anything like with Mass Effect that means you can install it on three systems at any one time, if you uninstall it you get an activation back. And if you somehow use up all activations you can contact EA customer support to get them to give you more. Which kinda makes you wonder why they bother in the first place...

My copy should get here any day now. At this speed I could have made the journey to England and back on foot, damn it.

YES yes yes yes yes yes this.

Err, yeah. :leaving:

You mean "Jamie with Sansa's soul" Which is even MORE disturbing!

Man, I didn't even think about Liliana/Lyanna. Probably because she's a rogue, not a warrior noble...

I found a Kaitlyn earlier too. Haven't come across any other ASOIAF-esque names yet, but I'm keeping an eye out.

Anyway, I get the receipt and it says I only have 3 install licenses!

Either the receipt is wrong or somebody got very confused and did something they shouldn't have. The official claims regarding copy protection are that the only thing it does is a DVD check (which is annoying in and of itself, but doesn't limit the number of installs). The downloadable content requires you to go online, but the game itself shouldn't know how many times it's been installed.

I haven't found too many but...

SPOILER: ASOIAF crossover
Allistair is basically Jon Snow if the R+L=J is true.

Is anyone else amused by having dialog options somewhat after a fight so the characters are all covered in blood? Obviously morbid but I find it hilarious when Leliana is having a 'romantic' conversation with me while she has a ton of blood covering her face.

I haven't found too many but...

SPOILER: ASOIAF crossover
Allistair is basically Jon Snow if the R+L=J is true.

Is anyone else amused by having dialog options somewhat after a fight so the characters are all covered in blood? Obviously morbid but I find it hilarious when Leliana is having a 'romantic' conversation with me while she has a ton of blood covering her face.

The blood is amusing to me too. There's so much of it in the game, and I honestly don't know if it's over the top due to the fact I've never fought my way through multiple animals/people/creatures violently before. Pretty sure it all gets cleaned up if you remove your torso armor and re-wear it, and of course the "Dog, clean this mess up!" method.

Also,

Loghain = Tywin

Howe = Roose

Couslands = Starks?

Granted if you look at Loghain's history he's more of a Tywin/Bronn hybrid.

That's not as funny to me as having a conversation while one of the characters has a sustained power on. A friend was playing a mage with Rock Armor on, and he just looked like Pigpen from Peanuts when he was talking to people.

I've being wondering what is the point of the stalkers in the dorf deep paths, I know I've hit the power peak where mobs of white named enemies mean nothing to me, but when I took them on earlier I never never needed a single heal despite there being generally 10 of the buggers at once. Even with them dying in generally in 3 hits to my warrior whose gone the 2her path (completely ignored dex) I still should have taken enough damage to activate a tactic heal.

The only reason I can think of them being there is very nice 11 exp snacks.

I almost want to start a thread on what people have been naming their dogs. My house has a german shepard / bernese mountain dog mix named Max who reminds me very much of the dogs in game. So much so that I named him Maxbari and feel guilty whenever I give the in game dog attention at the expense of the real dog.

Notmangy - couldn't think of any name at the time so I just named him after what Alistair said of him. But since then he's been the last man standing in a couple of battles and pulled the party through and now I really regret the name and think of him simply as Dog. F*cking Alistair.

One (non-ASOIF) reference I noticed was on the map, the Kocari Wilds (where you meet Morrigan, voiced by Claudia Black) is labeled "Uncharted Territories". I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I don't think it's likely.

Notmangy - couldn't think of any name at the time so I just named him after what Alistair said of him. But since then he's been the last man standing in a couple of battles and pulled the party through and now I really regret the name and think of him simply as Dog. F*cking Alistair.

Haha, yes! Although the dog's skills etc aren't as fleshed out as the other classes he works good as an interceptor. Often times I would send Maxbari charging ahead with his superior canine speed to keep a mage busy until Alistair could lumber up and do his templar thing.

A lack of truly good items and only two inventory slots is harsh though. At least with Shale you have 3 different combat styles and they are all synergytastic, and even the crappiest of Shale crystals is awesome compared to the Dog items I found.

Yeah, I ended up painting BigWig just so I could get an inventory slot - all of the designs were either expensive or pretty much worthless.

I'm having a serious issue with bleeding money - seems like I'm constantly debating on whether a 1g upgrade is really worth it.

Archived