get rid of the post rating feature.

一方通行

its just going to stir up trouble and make those who hold unpopular opinions feel even MORE unwelcome. the KoolKidzKlub thing is bad enough around here without institutionalizing it.

besides, whats the point of it anyway? we all form opinions about each other anyway. it will just turn into a crutch for those who do not want to think.

I don't really like the idea of it either, but I think people aren't going to put too much stock in the numbers - at least not until the use gets stabilized.

Leave it alone for a month or so before making any snap decisions. First week or so will probably be harsh with people going mental over +ing or -ing posts, but it MAY balance itself out.

Its given me quite a bit of insight into how boarders respond to other boarders already.

None of the people who I have seen complain about their viewpoints being unpopular here are going to give a shit about points. Most are too grown up for that, and the rest are going to revel in being hated by a bunch of commieurotrash hippies.

-1 for you.

In seriousness, why not wait to see what effect it actually has instead of campaigning for its removal based on the effect you think it may have?

someone has the paranoids!!!

I tried to give every post here a negative but apparently you are limited to the number of negative's you can assign per day. That is lame.

I suggest reserving your spite throughout the day, then in a sudden release of energy, selecting the five most deserving posts of the day.

We will require testing on this:

1. If you mark a post negative OR positive, can you rate the same person again on a different post? (If they should have a very annoying/really smart day)

2. What time does the clock reset for rating? I suspect this will be at board time, but I have been known to be wrong. This is key since you could potentially screw yourself out of rating opportunities if you do it at the wrong time.

3. Is there a limit to the number of people who can rate a post? For example, someone posts something exceptionally retarded. Can the entire board give that person a negative, or just the first 50? 100??

4. Will there be punishment for being the days lowest ranked person? (temp ban, custom title changed to 'smells like ass', etc

5. Will there be a reward for being the day's top ranked person? (ability to clean out forum games? Be able to pick one person to ban or otherwise shame?)

There is much more I could think of, but omg, I have to pee.

I'm generally in agreement with the OP. If the points are just window dressing, why have them in the first place? On the other hand, If there are actually consequences for negative points I think the system could easily be abused. Like someone said I think we are mature enough around here to form our own opinions of our fellow borders contributions without the need for some sort of stick-and-carrot system.

I'm generally in agreement with the OP. If the points are just window dressing, why have them in the first place? On the other hand, If there are actually consequences for negative points I think the system could easily be abused. Like someone said I think we are mature enough around here to form our own opinions of our fellow borders contributions without the need for some sort of stick-and-carrot system.

You realize the rating system is a trap rite? There will be rating for two-tree weeks, then suddenly it will be revealed who rated who, and how they rated. Oh, the fur is gonna fly!!

You know, there's a module already that does that, "reputation history", which shows who added points to who. We're not planning to install it, however.

I don't know about testing for a whole month, but at least a week or two. We'll see how it goes.

2. What time does the clock reset for rating? I suspect this will be at board time, but I have been known to be wrong. This is key since you could potentially screw yourself out of rating opportunities if you do it at the wrong time.

Exactly. Giving advantage to the cool headed. But also...what about the time zone dynamics that could develop? By the time i've used up my five clickies, Americans are just barely waking up! What to do?

None of the people who I have seen complain about their viewpoints being unpopular here are going to give a shit about points. Most are too grown up for that, and the rest are going to revel in being hated by a bunch of commieurotrash hippies.

Aren't you saying that the latter group will give a shit about points? It's just they'll enjoy accruing negative points rather than positive points.

Clock reset, I do not know. It's just supposed to be 24 hours ... but perhaps it's just at midnight server time, or perhaps it keeps track of it in a running sort of way so you always have five positive and five negative at any point in 24 hours. I'm not planning to give that a test. ;)

You know, there's a module already that does that, "reputation history", which shows who added points to who. We're not planning to install it, however.

I don't know about testing for a whole month, but at least a week or two. We'll see how it goes.

I haven't been this disappointed since dad told me there was no way he would ever get me a camel for my birthday. :(

Archived