>1cm snow expected in uk, whole country to close indefinately!

BigFatCoward

Grit is salt innit?

Anyway, the point is that they didnt use the substance that lowers the freezing point of water and also prevents it from refreezing back into a crystalline slippery hard ice.

Looking it up, it does appear that grit is the same as rock salt, I was thinking of gravel, not grit. For sidewalks, sand or gravel would be more effective than salt. Salt lowers the freezing point, but usually, depending on how much ice we're talking about, it requires the help of friction from the traffic to prevent freezing. For sidewalks, and other surfaces meant for pedestrian use, sand or gravel, making the surface less slippery, would be more effective.

Atlanta vs. Bergen. There is a difference weather wise. Just saying. :)

Might be more rain in Bergen, but as far as winter conditions goes, usually not that much of a difference.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/natural_resources/article6982316.ece

North Sea Natural Gas fields being shut down for a week for emergency maintaince. Combined with this mild cold snap...(freezing) pitchfork mobs? or frozen corpses not found till spring? especially if it takes longer than just a week...

Salt lowers the freezing point, but usually, depending on how much ice we're talking about, it requires the help of friction from the traffic to prevent freezing. For sidewalks, and other surfaces meant for pedestrian use, sand or gravel, making the surface less slippery, would be more effective.

Even if it does freeze (because the temperature is so low that even salt water freezes), its more in the form of slush. Since the presence of NaCl disrupts the crystalline nature of purer water. Slush is easier to drive/walk through than slippery ice. The friction from traffic is not a necessary condition for all of this.

But yeah, sand and gravel is probably a good idea for sidewalks. Pedestrians arent that well taken care of here.

North Sea Natural Gas fields being shut down for a week for emergency maintaince. Combined with this mild cold snap...(freezing) pitchfork mobs? or frozen corpses not found till spring? especially if it takes longer than just a week...

The temporary shutdown of a pipeline carrying 0.5% of the UK's gas supplies will indeed lead to outbreaks of looting, cannibalism, sodomy and epicaricacy. I know it's how I'm planning to spend Tuesday.

The temporary shutdown of a pipeline carrying 0.5% of the UK's gas supplies will indeed lead to outbreaks of looting, cannibalism, sodomy and epicaricacy. I know it's how I'm planning to spend Tuesday.

Wait, are we talking about the weather here or the House of Commons? I am confused.

The weather of course, the House of Commons is historically very keen on looting, sodomy and epicaricacy but the Speaker frowns on cannibalism.

Hereward, where is the stalwart spirit of the true Briton? Your glorious namesake the Wake once made a pitchfork from the thighs of his enemies (or possibly local beekeepers - the records are unclear) we expect no less from you.

You misunderstand me. As a free, property-owning Englishman, I of course own and maintain my pitchfork in perfect working order, as is my ancient right. The Bolshevik masses, on the other hand, are thankfully, and predictably, unprepared.

You misunderstand me. As a free, property-owning Englishman, I of course own and maintain my pitchfork in perfect working order, as is my ancient right. The Bolshevik masses, on the other hand, are thankfully, and predictably, unprepared.

So what is your pitchfork made of? Inquiring minds etc.

I dunno, the pavements are a bit too slippy at the moment for a good angry mob; people might fall over and hurt themselves. Probably safest to wait until it warms up a bit.

Unless they are an angry mob of tort lawyers, in which case it's perfect.

Hereward, unfortunately as a filthy Catholic immigrant, deeply stained with the water of the bogs, I am not allowed a pitchfork of my own. However, I am permitted to hurl potatoes and mutter incomprehensibly during lulls in the action.

:rofl:

Having spent some unhappy years in my youth being responsible for dealing with freelancers and their impressively creative claims for expenses and astonishingly pedestrian articles I am consumed with envy.

May the council never collect your rubbish again. :P

That's just how the Brits roll.

In related news, I heard on the news that Norway had to reduce the export of gas due to frozen pipes. This weekend it was down to a third of normal operating level, but it's gone up to two thirds by now. Since this gas was supposed to go to England, I guess this is the source of ThinkerX's panic.

Archived