>1cm snow expected in uk, whole country to close indefinately!

BigFatCoward

I think that it was down to -16 somewhere two nights ago. Some predictions that it might drop to -20 but I've not checked the weather news for a day or so.

-20 at Altnahara (in the Highlands) last night. And lower is predicted tonight, apparently. But most of the country is hovering around -4.

We're in the Big Society now - everyone is supposed to clear their own footpaths and those of elderly neighbours (Hereward) and profoundly lazy people (me).

I've done my part. Wish others would return the courtesy.

I work from home 4 days a week now anyway, so the snow has not affected my work one bit (apart from probably not having to go in at all this week, yess!) - or so I thought. Turns out that, because none of the rest of my team can get in either, I'm stuck doing 4 people's jobs today. I started at 6 today and was hoping to knock off by 2 and go play in the snow, but it looks like I'll be working till long after dark at this rate. Booo!

(I have some food now though so it's not all bad news ;))

Not been in the office since Monday as it took me a grand total of 6 hours to get there and back again. Six hours... that's usually two days of commuting!

Trains are kinda running between Edinburgh and G'gow but on a reduced schedule and with near constant delays. No point in toughing it out and then having to go home early to avoid the commuting peak - in an attempt to get home at all. Thus been working from home, access to email etc no problem. Luckily my company is very flexible in such matters.

Only downside is that at the moment it is hard to get out of town by care in the weekends (and not just hard, on average just better not to) - which makes it difficult to actually go hillwalking in the snow (talk about a luxury problem).

eta: the lowest recorded temperature in Scotland is -27.2 Celsius (and that was in 1895).

Rather sadly in keeping with the national mood of austerity Hereward has cut his staff to the barest of bare bones. Ten strong men to pull him hither and yon in his sled and a further twenty seven to carry refreshments, none of them it seems can be spared.

Snow.

It's after midnight and it;'s like 28 C here right now.

And your ancestors sent my ancestors here as a punishment

That shit is fucked up.

Remember all the spiders that you have and we don't. Wouldn't you rather have the snow?

Rather sadly in keeping with the national mood of austerity Hereward has cut his staff to the barest of bare bones. Ten strong men to pull him hither and yon in his sled and a further twenty seven to carry refreshments, none of them it seems can be spared.

It was the least I could do. We are, after all, all in this together.

Archived