World of Warcraft

GoN

Got into a 10 man alt/main/off spec ICC that actually made progress; got through the first wing pretty easily, got Festergut though that was a little more challenging than it should have been since a couple people had never seen it and once person wasn't on vent to hear the instructions. Rotface...well, Rotface was entertaining if nothing else, but not even close to downing him.

Gonna be gone after tomorrow for a week, so will miss out on the 10 mans for training on how to be better in the 25s, but hopefully will get back in next week.

Got into a 10 man alt/main/off spec ICC that actually made progress; got through the first wing pretty easily, got Festergut though that was a little more challenging than it should have been since a couple people had never seen it and once person wasn't on vent to hear the instructions. Rotface...well, Rotface was entertaining if nothing else, but not even close to downing him.

Gonna be gone after tomorrow for a week, so will miss out on the 10 mans for training on how to be better in the 25s, but hopefully will get back in next week.

It was doomed to fail. You bastards made me heal!

Also what the hell is with Faction champs. Once again we wiped like 5 times on them. I think people do it just to make the officers flip out. Its not funny anymore! :P

This weekend was spent 99% of the time in BRD, and I'm still a level or two from never having to see it again, bleh.

It's been case after case of horror stories. Rogues specced for mutilate but not using it. Shamans pleading or Blessing of Wisdom, Disc priests not using bubble, Shadow Priests bubbling for me, offensive fearing pulling 2 groups of adds, convincing tanks we just cleared this hallway. Locks eating their mana when they have five adds on them.

So I decide to queue up on my rogue for a manageable 80 Heroic and that's when I met Frozenpwn in The Nexus. He was a DK tank from my realm pimped out in Naxx epics. He would pause between every pull to wait for DnD to come off cooldown and never once used deathgrip. I found myself pulling aggro more often then I liked so I tricksed him on cooldown. I have an addon for my tricks that informs the person that they are being tricksed and how much damage it boosted them.

We're about halfway to the rock guy when Frozen stops, turns his too around and yells: "Xynen if u dont stop whispering me i will leave!" So, after a good laugh I explained what it was and why it was used "I have threat thats why they are attacking me stop using ur gay macro". Well, I didn't stop because I thought it was hilarious how he got mad all the way up to the last boss. So he ninjas that last of the loot says "Xynen ur gay" and leaves group. Needless to say Trade chat became fun for an hour or so which culminated in a wisper "didnt no you were on my realm sorry". Oh LFD, you've sure improved everyone's life.

The real fun part of the weekend though came when my Guildmate started getting camped in Nagrand. This slowly led into an 40 v 40 full scale battle over Halaa. At one point we held Halaa, but some pesky rogue kept sapping us. We were so spread out trying to find him that we never noticed the full group of Alliance until they swooped down and slaughtered us. After their slaughter they popped open a lock portal and started summoning reinforcments. So we sat back, regrouped and closed in with a group from each bridge and took back the town. In the end it landed me 144 battle tokens, and consequently a new mount (after grinding powder). Hopefully something like that will happen again so I can get the Dark Riding Talbuk too. I miss world PvP.

A guildie finished his 100 mounts with farming oshu'gun crystal powder and getting the two Halaa mounts.

It's too bad there wasn't an option in the tricks mod to turn off the whispering, so you could have avoided all that.

And I'm actually going to laugh at the rescheduled ICC raid now; one of the reasons I was healing is that my roommate/guild leader is pretty burned out on healing (at the moment it's looking like we'll have one person who heals willingly and competently on his Cataclysm main). Well, really, the the correct healing makeup would have been me, her, and the shaman (who is not as good as the other priest, but then we would have lacked replenishment). We wiped because we had two relatively weak healers by skill.

A guildie finished his 100 mounts with farming oshu'gun crystal powder and getting the two Halaa mounts.

It's too bad there wasn't an option in the tricks mod to turn off the whispering, so you could have avoided all that.

There is an option but just about every rogue uses it because it's informative. It let's tanks know they have some leg room, it let's DPS know when they get a boost and it even warns if the target is getting to close to the tank on threat. If he wants to keep tanking he's going to run into it a lot, so he better get used to it. Back before you could receive whispers in LFD it used to say 'Tricks on you Bitch!" which would have been even better in that scenario had I not changed it so I wouldn't offend people. Most tanks I've used it on have found it amusing or helpful and DPS usually just whispers back with "WHAT!?" lol.

I've never, ever seen this. Occasionally I see tells, or more commonly party/raid messages like "Misdirect on TANK" or "Soulstone on GREEDY UNHELPFUL WARLOCK", but I haven't seen anything on Tricks, and I never get them as tells or with detail. And this is with tanking 90% of raids I attend and 1-2 random heroics a day.

I've never, ever seen this. Occasionally I see tells, or more commonly party/raid messages like "Misdirect on TANK" or "Soulstone on GREEDY UNHELPFUL WARLOCK", but I haven't seen anything on Tricks, and I never get them as tells or with detail. And this is with tanking 90% of raids I attend and 1-2 random heroics a day.

Wow really? I know just about every rogue on my server uses it. It's also frequently mentioned on EJ and I usually get detailed tells from PuG rogues when I'm DPSing on my shaman. It's pretty convenient imo and most people enjoy it, except Frozenpwn.

Grats to anybody who achieved anything good that I missed over the weekend.

Got home in time for the Sunday raid where we took 5 tries on Putricide and had a 2% wipe due to running into the berserk timer. This was something of a mystery to me, because last week we were essentially wiping on the P3 soft enrage with plenty of time left on the berserk. We had a couple of different DPS (but who switched was melee for melee), so I guess they just had a tough time adjusting to running around with the oozes but once it got down to "DPS boss while tanks kite from slime puddles" they did OK? That's so damn tantalizingly close.

Trash was respawning so we decided to go into the Blood Prince area next. I don't know that we would have been guaranteed to get PP that close again, or down him if we did, so that was alright. However, the best we did on them was 75% and I'm still trying to get the hang of all that's going on there.

Wow really? I know just about every rogue on my server uses it. It's also frequently mentioned on EJ and I usually get detailed tells from PuG rogues when I'm DPSing on my shaman. It's pretty convenient imo and most people enjoy it, except Frozenpwn.

Yeah something that whispered me everytime someone else used an ability would get pretty damn old rather quickly.

Yeah I'd get pretty pissed off pretty fast if I was getting spammed by whispers telling me that yes I'm generating threat. Edit : *points at omen threat meter*

It doesn't tell you you're generating threat, it tells you the rogue is dumping all of his threat on you and that you have a 10% damage increase for a few seconds, personally I like knowing when I'm generating threat for two people.

Generally in a raid setting the tank will get it once, maybe twice and then I'll rotate it around DPS, so no one gets it more then twice during a boss fight. If there's another rogue then we'll trade off and spam each other every 30 seconds, but that's okay since rogues get off on every extra dps they do :-). Honestly there's very little spam involved.

I normally don't use it in 5-mans unless I've pulled a boss and evasion is on cooldown, this particular tank just happened to be so bad I had to use it frequently.

I like Tricks in 5-mans. My rogue is Combat so I blow Tricks->Blade Flurry->Killing Spree and actually live through it!!!

(Tanks while leveling don't have the best aggro)

I'm sure at max level it'll be useful for keeping AoE Threat on the tank.

Did 25 TOC last night, won a Trophy off Anub. That'll be a nice little upgrade to my DPS set (my Tank set is all 245 and up already). Although now I gotta grind out a bunch more Triumph badges.

Was a nice smooth run except 1 wipe on Anub because apparently none of the hunters know about a little skill called "Misdirect".

1 Tank, 2 Adds, 1 Taunt. Not a recipe for success.

1 Tank, 2 Adds, 1 Taunt. Not a recipe for success.
Your tank sucked then.

Did an ICC 10. It's really sad how important mobile healers are and how gimped shaman healing is in ICC. We had two shammy healers and didn't bother trying to do PP, and didn't do great on BQL until we had a third shammy go healing as well. There's just so much movement on each fight and the healing is so big a deal that any time you have to move as a healer for some ability (goo, slime, gas, kiting, pact, shadows, whatever) it's a huge drain.

All tanks have a decent to good way to deal with ranged targets. All tanks have a taunt off the GCD. It's not hard to mark one to kill, taunt that one, and do enough ranged DPS on the second so that you can get aggro on it without it running off. When it gets into range it's very easy to get enough threat on both without issue regardless of what tank you have.

The tank that has it the worst is a druid ;all they've got for a ranged threat ability is FF. But even that's sufficient to get aggro on the second add while taunting.

So no, I don't see why you need an MD for two mighty adds.

All tanks have a decent to good way to deal with ranged targets. All tanks have a taunt off the GCD. It's not hard to mark one to kill, taunt that one, and do enough ranged DPS on the second so that you can get aggro on it without it running off. When it gets into range it's very easy to get enough threat on both without issue regardless of what tank you have.

The tank that has it the worst is a druid ;all they've got for a ranged threat ability is FF. But even that's sufficient to get aggro on the second add while taunting.

So no, I don't see why you need an MD for two mighty adds.

TOC, not TOGC.

You are assuming a level of coordination (from multiple people who aren't tanks BTW) that is never displayed in non-heroic versions of that raid. And certainly not now when everyones got a couple of ICC pieces.

Usually it goes:

Adds Spawn -> Tank Taunts -> DPS rips aggro off tank because taunt gives minimal aggro to the tank at that point

That's why you misdirect.

I knew it was ToC; if it was ToGC, there would be 4 adds.

I'm saying that even in some pug raid if you can't handle dealing with two adds as a tank - even if they're almost immediately going to be splatted by DPS - that you've got problems. Warriors and paladins both have multiple taunts and ways to deal with it, and both can do a quick burst of threat to start with. DKs have a lot of ranged tools for threat depending on their build. Druids are the worst of the lot, but a frontloaded maul does wonders and they do have that taunt.

Yes, MD is good. But it's by no means essential, and if you can't deal with not having a hunter MD to you then you didn't do a good job as a tank. Even with trigger-happy DPS.

See, you've said their ARE tools, but you haven't actually said what those tools are.

Cause the pitiful threat generated at range by most tank classes is not gonna keep a mob on you off even 1 DPS.

See, you've said their ARE tools, but you haven't actually said what those tools are.

Cause the pitiful threat generated at range by most tank classes is not gonna keep a mob on you off even 1 DPS.

Why would the adds be getting dps'd before they got to the tank?

Archived