Survivor: Heroes vs Villians

Lord of Oop North

Looking forward to the next episode.

The few Russell clips we've seen this season is him finding the idol and making a strong three way alliance (I'm sure he's been scurrying around a lot more). They have built this season up towards this moment and I'n thinking that edits probably have been done to make it look more exciting than it will be.

I doubt Rob really knows what he's dealing with there.

Amanda is absolutely the most powerful player in the history of the game.

My pants agree.

As for Russell v. Rob - it's shaping up to be pretty awesome. I don't know if Rob is done for, because I think Rob has that weird something that Russell doesn't have. Charisma, whatever you call it, Rob just has a way of getting what he wants from people. Russell is more dangerous, for sure, but I'm not sure he can flip the Villains against Rob's powerful Boston mojo.

My pants agree.

As for Russell v. Rob - it's shaping up to be pretty awesome. I don't know if Rob is done for, because I think Rob has that weird something that Russell doesn't have. Charisma, whatever you call it, Rob just has a way of getting what he wants from people. Russell is more dangerous, for sure, but I'm not sure he can flip the Villains against Rob's powerful Boston mojo.

Russell doesn't have to flip any of Rob's players, he has four now with Coach. When there is 9 people voting and he has the HII that's enough unless Rob's side gets lucky and targets Danielle without letting Russell have a hint of it. If word is they are going after Parvati he'll just give her the idol, and they can't split votes. Or at least we know they can't split votes. It's more likely Rob thinks Coach is on his side.

Just watched tonights 30 Rock unrelated but I got a kick out of Alec Baldwin's reasons for Boston being awesome:

"Boston is the greatest city in the world; Boston Tea Party, Boston Cream Pie, Boston Rob Mariano, and the birthplace of Ben Franklin"

Just watched tonights 30 Rock unrelated but I got a kick out of Alec Baldwin's reasons for Boston being awesome:

"Boston is the greatest city in the world; Boston Tea Party, Boston Cream Pie, Boston Rob Mariano, and the birthplace of Ben Franklin"

Them all laughing at L.A. was the best.

Nice little nod to Survivor by 30 Rock, especially on NCAA day 1.

Even with the week off I feel the need to discuss some Survivor. I recently read a rumor that the producers may be considering a Second Chance season. It would consist of popular or good players who never made it to the merge.

I think it could be a good idea as there have been several memorable players who were ousted before the merge. It's been so long, though, that I have trouble remembering a lot of pre-merge players (and hell, a lot of post-merge players as well).

The few players I can think of offhand:

Ace - Gabon. The bald, arrogant, fake-British accent guy. Talked a lot of game but was ousted before he could really prove anything.

Sekou - Cook Islands. The worst first-boot ever. The guy had a lot of potential but was on the short side of the stick when the women of his mini-tribe (it was the 4 tribes divided by race season and his tribe had 2 men/3 women) decided to vote him out because he was too manly or something.

Mike S - Australia. I think he's been asked back for Fans vs. Favorites and Heroes vs. Villains but has declined so I doubt he'd be up for this. Most famous for falling in in the fire. If that hadn't happened he arguable could have owned the Australia season and came out the winner, but his tribe sort of fell apart once he was gone.

Russell S - Samoa. I doubt he'd be allowed back after the scare he had last season, but like Mike S, if he hadn't gone down to injury no way in hell does the season end like it did.

Andrew Savage - Pearl Islands. Could have run the game had Lil picked his alliance over the opposing one.

Joel or Mikey B - Fans vs. Favorites. The Hulk and the big talker. I don't really recall much about Joel besides the challenge where he almost killed the older skinny gay guy by dragging him through the obstacle course and the hilarious interchange after that: "I hit my head back there." "I don't care." "I know."

Michelle - Fiji. Mostly for the cute factor. I think she made the jury so I'm not sure if she counts.

Misty - Panama. She talked a lot of shit about what a good player she was but was voted out pretty early. Memorable for trying to bluff that she had the hidden immunity idol to avoid being voted out.

Jonathan or Wanda - Palau. These two are victims of perhaps the biggest dick move in Survivor history by basically being voted out before the game even began.

Dolly - Vanuatu. She was like the blonde Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island.

Those are the players I can remember off hand. What do you think? I know I'm not the only giant Survivor nerd here. Who else should be given a second chance?

Kel Gleason on Survivor S2 Australia always seemed like a big waste of potential. The guy was a former Navy Seal or Ranger or something and he was voted out 2nd. IIRC, it was because of some crazy lie Jerri invented about him having some beef jerky he snuck into the game.

It was a big sign that these contestants were a different bunch than the naive S1 players (cept for Hatch's crew, of course).

I've always thought that a "Losers" season would be a hell of a lot more interesting than an "All-Stars" season. Bring back people voted out waaaay too early. People that never even got a chance to be on TV for more than an hour. I'd rather see them struggle than watch these "fan favorite" types mug to the camera 90% of the time to extend their moment in the spotlight.

How could you forget about

?!

Hah, yeah I remember that guy. Was he voted out because he was too old or because he was crazy and annoying?

Kel Gleason on Survivor S2 Australia always seemed like a big waste of potential. The guy was a former Navy Seal or Ranger or something and he was voted out 2nd. IIRC, it was because of some crazy lie Jerri invented about him having some beef jerky he snuck into the game.

Good one, and yeah, he totally got hosed by Jerri who had her whole "maneater" gimmick shaped around this one move.

I've always thought that a "Losers" season would be a hell of a lot more interesting than an "All-Stars" season. Bring back people voted out waaaay too early. People that never even got a chance to be on TV for more than an hour. I'd rather see them struggle than watch these "fan favorite" types mug to the camera 90% of the time to extend their moment in the spotlight.

I totally agree. What have players like Rupert, James, Tyson, Randy, Courtney, Jerri, Coach and Candice actually done in the game? Not much, but they were either loved or hated more than the rest of the cast and so brought back (or in the case of people like Candice, Randy and Danielle, were second choices because the first choices bailed). They may have gone far in the game, and made some decent moves, but really none of them were great strategic minds (maybe Jerri, but she was so easily played in both Australia and All Stars).

The Losers, however, would want to prove that they can win the game, not that they can continue to be semi-famous. And since so many of them are essentially forgotten by the public, it would almost be like a new season.

There is a ton of possibility in a second chance season. Here are some possibles, though obviously all can't make the list.

Season 1: Joel. He got voted off for being sexist, although Gervase made the comment about women being like cows. Or Ramona, she got voted off just as she was getting over her sickness.

2: Skupin is obvious. Not many obvious female choices from here though.

3: Clarence and Lindsey. Clarence made the merge but was the first boot, screwed up by stealing beans. Lindsey was a horrid girl who got screwed over by the switch, but would be entertaining.

4: Hunter and Gina. Hunter was Boston Rob's first real victim. Gina fell to the numbers after the tribal switch, but was still awesome.

5: Robb Zbacnik. Two B's guys, two B's. Choking Clay. Having an epiphany the night he is voted out. "Sorry girl, you get on my nerves and I don't like being around you. Nothing personal." Tanya Vance maybe, as she was out second because she was sick.

6: Shawna for the cute factor. One of the two guys voted out early for losing the first immunity challenge due to lack of balance.

7: Savage, as has been said. For woman, either Nicole Delma (1st boot), Trish (tried to oust Rupert pre-merge), or Michele (Burton lackey). I'd prefer Trish because she showed some strategy.

9: The ex-FBI guy who scaled the pole to get the rock (Brady?). Dolly.

10: The two not picked, Wanda and Jonathan. Or instead of Jonathan, could be Jeff who twisted his ankle.

11: Brian, who seemed to know the game so well but got booted after a tribal swap. One of the two cute brunettes that got booted early. Or else the female cop.

12: Tina, the lumber jill, and Bob Dawg.

13: Bill Garcia. That guy could be comedy gold if he lasts longer. Women? Not sure yet, just watching it for the first time.

14: will be watching soon.

15: Crazy Dave! Maybe Ashley the pro-wrestler, or Sherea.

16: Mikey B would be obvious. I'd love to see Tracey Hughes-Wolf back. She really seemed to know the game, but her band of misfits just wasn't strong enough.

17: Ace possibly. Jacquie Berg would be a good female. Or else Michelle who got voted off first, but her attitude could get annoying.

18: Jerry, the military guy who was sick. And Sydney, perhaps the most beautiful person ever to play Survivor.

19: Betsy, the cop, and Russell Swan, who almost died.

Lots of people to work with there that could make for an interesting season.

As I recall, it was very easy for her to turn everyone against him because he wasn't very popular to begin with.

He's one of those guys, who are quite and reserved, albeit decent and kind, but just lacks in social skills and have a below than average EQ.

It didn't come up in the show so much, but that's what his peers observed about him and he himself, in his private camera confessions, showed awareness to his shortcoming in that field.

I'm not sure he's TV material.

As I recall, it was very easy for her to turn everyone against him because he wasn't very popular to begin with.

He's one of those guys, who are quite and reserved, albeit decent and kind, but just lacks in social skills and have a below than average EQ.

It didn't come up in the show so much, but that's what his peers observed about him and he himself, in his private camera confessions, showed awareness to his shortcoming in that field.

I'm not sure he's TV material.

Actually, that's exactly why he's TV material, in my eyes. Pretty much everyone I would recommend for a "Losers" season obviously has difficulty forming bonds and playing to the camera.

Still, I'd say his voting off had as much to do with his tribe being intimidated by his background. Also, in the early days of the game, it's very easy to adopt an "anyone but me" voting strategy, which Jerri exploited by giving them a reason to justify it, with the beef jerky.

Regardless, the guy might just be a terrible social gamer, but that's the point. I'd like to see what all of these early bootees would be like when clumped together. My guess is there would be a far higher than average count of older people too.

I've always thought this would be an interesting idea. Hunter is the first one that flashed through my brain and I know there are lots of people who got screwed by a weird twist of fate or strategy. Then I remember that some people were booted for pretty good reasons. I'd much rather see people who had an idea how to play the game and weren't social misfits but just had some bad luck in the beginning.

I've always thought this would be an interesting idea. Hunter is the first one that flashed through my brain and I know there are lots of people who got screwed by a weird twist of fate or strategy. Then I remember that some people were booted for pretty good reasons. I'd much rather see people who had an idea how to play the game and weren't social misfits but just had some bad luck in the beginning.

That would indeed be key. A lot of the early boots were the older people who couldn't keep up and the younger females who had no idea what they were getting into (and were probably cast because they were hot young females).

I'm not so sure a bunch of clueless and social misfits would make for a very interesting season. Maybe. But certainly not if all of them were so serene and dry as Kal.

Maybe someone like Matthew (technically not a loser, but clueless nonetheless) from S-Amazon who had some great insane vibes about him.

But then- you'd still have to have someone like Rob who would stir things up...

Matthew relaying to Butch what Rob was feeding him on "a strictly need-to-know basis" was pure gold.

:D

ETA: @Blain

That would indeed be key. A lot of the early boots were the older people who couldn't keep up and the younger females who had no idea what they were getting into (and were probably cast because they were hot young females).

You're saying there's something wrong with a cast of several hot young females?

Seriously, I still say there's some value in bringing back the social misfits to see if they learned anything from early ouster. Especially when they haven't.

But then again, let it be noted that I am not a nice person and I love to see people flame out, which is really half the enjoyment reality TV offers.

Archived