Towers of Midnight synopsis

Calibandar

I don´t know if this has been posted yet. For those interested, this is the synopsis Orbit have up for the UK release of Towers of Midnight.

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One's prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unravelling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight. Perrin Aybara is hunted by spectres from his past. To prevail, he must find a way to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. The end draws near. It's time to roll the dice.

I don´t know if this has been posted yet. For those interested, this is the synopsis Orbit have up for the UK release of Towers of Midnight.

I haven't even read Gathering Storm yet (going to pick it up in the States next week when I return), but now I'm really stoked for book 13. The Tower! Finally! It'll be an interesting reunion when Moraine sees Rand again (probably in the last book). Imagine her suprise at the changes in him.

And I liked Perrin more when he was dealing with his wolf side, so happy to see that coming too, even though if it had been dropped or left as is, I wouldn't be too sad either. It's not a huge plot thread, unless he surrenders to his wolf nature (and leaves Faile hah!) to run with the wolves during the last battle. That'd actually be cool.

The Tower! Finally!

Yeah, that's the part that has me excited about this book. Finally! I've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Perrin, meh, I don't care about him so much anymore. I'll wait and see how his chapters are, obviously, but I find it hard to pretend I'm excited about them.

It's not a huge plot thread, unless he surrenders to his wolf nature (and leaves Faile hah!) to run with the wolves during the last battle. That'd actually be cool.

You might get your wish. Egwene had a dream about Perrin running with a huge pack of wolves.

Its obvious those two have to meet up. Both have something to contribute in Tel'aran'rhiod, and that place seems pretty important for the Last Battle.

Perrin, meh, I don't care about him so much anymore.

What did it for you?

You might get your wish. Egwene had a dream about Perrin running with a huge pack of wolves.

Its obvious those two have to meet up. Both have something to contribute in Tel'aran'rhiod, and that place seems pretty important for the Last Battle.

I may be the only fan that has some reservations about Perrin becoming a full wolfling. Wouldn't it destroy his relationship with Faile?

Really looking forward to this book being released. November, isn't it?

Less of Perrin's wolf-emo travails and more of the Tower of Genji, please! After all that waiting and all those foreshadowings I want it to be amazing and I want to see quite a bit of Moiraine in action, too! I also want to see Tuon smacked upside her head by something, so that she'd finally be forced to abandon her blinkers.

Considering SAnderson's black and white ruination of characters in his first WoT book I am almost curious enough to get ToM to see how he handles Perrin since I believe that is one of his favorite characters. After the dreck of Egwene and her golden channeling vagina "I am the light" crap, I really have to wonder just how bad it will be when Sanderson no longer writes himself as a sweet sixteen channeling princess and instead can channel his inner wilderness male. I'm expecting the authorial equivalent of Tom Cruise on Oprah's couch.

But don't let my utter disdain for Sanderson's usually mediocre talent translating into real horror with WoT bother the rest of you kool-aid drinkers ;)

After the dreck of Egwene and her golden channeling vagina "I am the light" crap,

Eh, this direction for Egwene was built up during the whole series, so you can't blame Sanderson for it, however much you disagree, IMHO.

As to Perrin, RJ pretty much Failed him single-handedly ;). To think that he used to be one of my favorites in the early books. There is nothing left to ruin - it can just stay there or go uphill. I wish that whatever it is, gets accomplished as compactly as possible though, cause Perrin's wolf issues just aren't interesting enough to drag them out for 13 books!

My first thought was that that looked promising. My second thought was that looked like the synopsis for a Book Six that ought to have been.

I mean, look at those plot threads. Perrin losing himself to the wolves was a big deal at first, building up to book four or so. Then it sort of went on hiatus. Seals crumbling and pattern unravelling... wasn't that established AGES ago, before it sort of went on hiatus? Mat looks to be about to go to the Tower of Ghenji... I'm sorry, wasn't that clearly meant to happen in book six or book seven, before that whole massively-foreshadowed plot hit a hiatus?

My first thought was that that looked promising. My second thought was that looked like the synopsis for a Book Six that ought to have been.

I mean, look at those plot threads. Perrin losing himself to the wolves was a big deal at first, building up to book four or so. Then it sort of went on hiatus. Seals crumbling and pattern unravelling... wasn't that established AGES ago, before it sort of went on hiatus? Mat looks to be about to go to the Tower of Ghenji... I'm sorry, wasn't that clearly meant to happen in book six or book seven, before that whole massively-foreshadowed plot hit a hiatus?

Mat only found out that Moiraine wasn't dead in book eleven, so I've no idea how the rescue was clearly meant to have happened ealier. Fans have been wanting it for a long time, but in no way was it ever planned to take place before now.

As for Perrin, I'm actually looking forward to him confronting the Whitecloaks again.

But don't let my utter disdain for Sanderson's usually mediocre talent translating into real horror with WoT bother the rest of you kool-aid drinkers

Why would it? If I was swayed by every vitriolic opinion on the internet, I'd never enjoy anything.

Mat only found out that Moiraine wasn't dead in book eleven, so I've no idea how the rescue was clearly meant to have happened ealier. Fans have been wanting it for a long time, but in no way was it ever planned to take place before now.

Hunh? Jordan didn't initially plan on WoT being 14 books. It was his bloated excessive style and lack of editorial foresight that delayed Matt's discovery all the way to book eleven.

That said, this was the synopsis for what I expected book 8 to be.

Hunh? Jordan didn't initially plan on WoT being 14 books. It was his bloated excessive style and lack of editorial foresight that delayed Matt's discovery all the way to book eleven.

That said, this was the synopsis for what I expected book 8 to be.

I was referring to near the end of the series, rather than book twelve specifically.

Mat only found out that Moiraine wasn't dead in book eleven, so I've no idea how the rescue was clearly meant to have happened ealier.

His first conversation with Thom about the letter is in LoC and there are strong hints in it an in ACoS about Moiraine not being dead and that they'd have to rescue her from Finnland via the Tower of Genji. I have been expecting it to happen, with ever mounting impatience and then annoyance, since then. And I know that I wasn't alone in it. This was artificially drawn out to make room for ultimately relatively uninteresting stuff that bloated books 7-11.

His first conversation with Thom about the letter is in LoC and there are strong hints in it an in ACoS about Moiraine not being dead and that they'd have to rescue her from Finnland via the Tower of Genji. I have been expecting it to happen, with ever mounting impatience and then annoyance, since then. And I know that I wasn't alone in it. This was artificially drawn out to make room for ultimately relatively uninteresting stuff that bloated books 7-11.

I'm not saying that the Tower of Genji issn't something that has been massively delayed/eagerly anticipated from a fan point of view, or that it wasn't foreshadowed, or that every book was perfectly planned and executed. The post I initially replied to suggested that it was something that was slated to be written as early as Lord of Chaos and then put on the backburner for no reason, and that's simply not true.

I think you're disagreeing with yourself.

I've never doubted that Ghenji was meant to happen in the final or penultimate book. All those plots mentioned at things that obviously were meant to happen at the end of the series. My point is more that the series has become longer and longer, meaning that plots set up in one book that clearly are meant to be resolved in a book or two have had their resolutions delayed substantially, which has required them to be either slowed down or forgotten about in the interim, which damages how much we care about the resolutions. It's all very well Matt not officially knowing, for instance, but as readers we've known since (you tell me) book six. If somebody had put that in a synopsis for book seven, it wouldn't have been out of place. Book eight? To be expected. Book thirteen?

I liked the Gathering Storm, but not looking too forward to this one. Gathering dealt with my favourite characters, and while I like Mat, Perrin has become one of the most boring and frustrating characters in the series. I also really dislike this whole "Tower of Ghenji" plotline, even if it was foreshadowed way back when- it seems like a pretty pointless side storyline, and really, Jordan, can't we have one dead main character in the whole series? I was pretty unimpressed when Thom said in Book 11: "Hey Mat, sorry for not mentioning this 5 books ago, but now that you asked about this letter, it's okay for me to tell you! By the way, Moiraine's alive and shit."

Still, hopefully this book wraps up the Black Tower storyline, which I do like.

Archived