Towers of Midnight synopsis

Calibandar

Does (did) Jordan write about the same world as Tolkien? The quote would only have meaning if that were the case. And how exactly can they say that Tolkien 'began to reveal' this world? Which world? Middle-earth? If so, he did a hell of a lot more than begin to reveal it. And how does that apply to Jordan and/or Randland (a completely different, if derivitive, secondary world)? It doesn't make sense to me.

Or perhaps by 'world' they mean any kind of literary secondary reality? In which case, I suppose the quote could be translated as 'Jordan has come to dominate the genre that Tolkien first made popular'. Either way, it doesn't tell the potential reader diddly squat about WOT (other than to perhaps confuse them into thinking Jordan is writing in the same world as Tolkien).

But that's just my opinion.

Or perhaps the quote means that while Tolkien helped introduce fantasy, Jordan has helped elaborate on the genre? The quote isn't nearly as confusing as you're making it out to be.

The opening paragraph from JordanCon:

Interesting, as this is the first time that the 'wind' has risen on another continent, in this case around the city-fortress of Imfaral in the far north of the Seanchan continent, near the Lesser Blight. Imfaral is the second city of the Seanchan Empire (although only the sixth most populous) and the base of operations for Luthair Paendrag during his invasion of Seanchan's northern landmass before taking Seandar later in his war. Imfaral is the location of the titular Towers of Midnight, a prison complex consisting of thirteen towers where political prisoners are interrogated and executed. It appears that the actual Towers will be referenced in the book, although fans have also speculated that the title acts as a reference to the Tower of Ghenjei and the Black Tower, both of which are expected to figure prominently in the novel. It's also possibly as nod to Tolkien, as Towers of Midnight is the middle volume of its own trilogy, like The Two Towers.

I wonder if maybe it will start in Imfaral just to get a little line about the old Tower of Midnight and then head north to show the unprepared Seanchan continent being invaded by Trollocs.

I wonder if maybe it will start in Imfaral just to get a little line about the old Tower of Midnight and then head north to show the unprepared Seanchan continent being invaded by Trollocs.

there are no trollocs in Seanchan. all shadowspawn were wiped out in their version of the trolloc wars. the blight hardly exists there.

there are no trollocs in Seanchan. all shadowspawn were wiped out in their version of the trolloc wars. the blight hardly exists there.

IIRC trollocs do not exist, but other shadowspawn and blight-creatures do (I believe the White Book specifically mentions Draghkar?)

There are Ogier in Seanchan and so presumably groves and stedding, which if I recall correctly were the termini of the Ways. Considering the markedly different behavior of Seanchan Ogier and the moral collapse of the Seanchan Aes Sedai it's possible they were never brought into the network, but if you're building a miniature parallel universe, there's no reason why you couldn't do it.

That would be the simplest explanation; there probably aren't enough Darkfriends to crew an invasion fleet, and I can't imagine Trollocs would make good sailors.

Of couse, it's probable the Seanchan won't even be mentioned except in passing. The continent's in a state of civil war, effectively useless, and frankly there are enough loose ends to wrap up without introducing new POV characters (especially since the Borderlanders and Demandred's people and the Asha'man have barely been given a surface treatment yet).

The Lesser Blight in Seanchan does exist and is quite dangerous (twenty times more dangerous than any other environment in the Seanchan continent). Trollocs and Myrddraal do not exist there, but Draghkar, Worms, Grey Men and all other forms of Shadowspawn do exist. Plus there are plenty of Shadowspawn in Seanchan. However, with the continent in a state of civil war, it's less of a focus for the Shadow. In one book (LoC, IIRC) Demandred muses that the Last Battle will touch every land in the world, but it will start and fall heaviest on the Westlands.

Though we can't expect much to actually take place in Seanchan, I'd love a couple of glimpses, if only to satisfy our curiosity. But there is enough filler material at the moment that it would be crazy to introduce some plotlines from the other side of the ocean this late in the game. . .

Patrick

I don't see plotlines being introduced, but I think we may see a quick snipit to let us know roughly what's going down over there. The same way we get a few brief glimpses of how the Sea Folks Island Buddies are doing.

There are Ogier in Seanchan and so presumably groves and stedding, which if I recall correctly were the termini of the Ways. Considering the markedly different behavior of Seanchan Ogier and the moral collapse of the Seanchan Aes Sedai it's possible they were never brought into the network, but if you're building a miniature parallel universe, there's no reason why you couldn't do it.

It could just have been me putting my own slant on it but I've been under the impression since they were introduced that the Ogier in Seanchan are different from the Westlands Ogier because they didn't experience life without Steddings. However I can't recall somewhere that explicitly says that or even mentions it so I could be way off.

The Seanchan Ogier never experienced the Long Exile and do not suffer from the Longing. The Ways appear to connect only those stedding in the Westlands, so do not reach to Seanchan.

And yeah, the Seanchan now have Travelling, so a mass return of the Seanchan Corenne to the Seanchan home continent is quite likely after Tarmon Gai'don, as hinted at by RJ. If RJ was alive I suspect we wouldn't get any glimpses of Seanchan at all, as he was holding it back for the outrigger novels set there, but Sanderson (who seems lukewarm at best on the outriggers) may want to include more material from Seanchan (RJ apparently had tons of worldbuilding worked out for it that didn't appear in the books) to ensure it gets an airing (although I'd assume it's going in the Encyclopedia anyway).

About the US cover:

Granted Sweet is awful and could be off but who is the third character supposed to be? There's Thom and Mat and then somebody else. It doesn't appear to be Farstrider as then you'd think even Sweet would know to put white hair on him. So whom?

If that is Thom on the left, and Matt in the middle, the third character on the right appears to be wearing rose-coloured pants. The first person that sprung to mind would be the ugly kid Olver, but if so, he is depicted as way taller than I would have thought. However, I think there have been passing references to him 'filling out' or 'shooting up' in recent books.

If that is Thom on the left, and Matt in the middle, the third character on the right appears to be wearing rose-coloured pants. The first person that sprung to mind would be the ugly kid Olver, but if so, he is depicted as way taller than I would have thought. However, I think there have been passing references to him 'filling out' or 'shooting up' in recent books.

Considering that he has been playing the game Snakes and Foxes for the last umpteen books, I always assumed it'd be Olver going into the Tower with Matt and Thom.

I wonder how they will cheat to get Moiraine out... Sneak in iron?

Considering that he has been playing the game Snakes and Foxes for the last umpteen books, I always assumed it'd be Olver going into the Tower with Matt and Thom.

I wonder how they will cheat to get Moiraine out... Sneak in iron?

Thom will bring music (to dazzle) and Mat will bring some matches (fire to blind). They all have plenty of courage (to strengthen). I'm sure any one or both (all if you include oliver) will come with iron. What's Mat's ashandarei made out of anyway?

The Waygates didn't all spring up at once. Ogier actually had to go places and make them with the Amulet of Growing, which was on Rand's side of the ocean, so I don't see how there would've been any in Seanchan.

Archived