Upcoming Cover Art II

Larry.

An early look at two variations for Mark Charan Newton's The Book of Transformations.

Just to add to these comments, that the covers are very basic drafts - not at all finished, not even close to having characters turned into a more painterly style, set into the artwork etc. But I guess that message has been lost.

Suffice to say, I really hope everyone in the comments thread understands just how much behind-the-scenes effort goes into getting those very basic images, and that we hoped by showing early images we could bring people into the process a little more. It's not just sales teams a publisher has to please, but the buyers at major book chains - who often have a huge influence in the cover art you see on the shelves - so please don't think they're just spaffing out these images to wind you all up. They're not.

Anyway, just to show the power of the internet, for the hardcover we're looking to have the character removed completely and work on the city. Hardcovers are a totally different market to the mass market reader (the casual reader who shapes careers, and they look for something different to the rest of us in cover design), so maybe we were wrong in choosing a figure for that.

But if it tanks, you all owe me a drink.

Anyway, just to show the power of the internet, for the hardcover we're looking to have the character removed completely and work on the city. Hardcovers are a totally different market to the mass market reader (the casual reader who shapes careers, and they look for something different to the rest of us in cover design), so maybe we were wrong in choosing a figure for that.

Wow, I really didn't think the internet had anywhere near that much pull...that's quite awesome, really.

And your post here came at precisely the right time to remind me that I still really need to read Nights of Villjamur so I can go from someone who thinks your work sounds like something he'd love to, you know, someone who's actually read it.

Suffice to say, I really hope everyone in the comments thread understands just how much behind-the-scenes effort goes into getting those very basic images, and that we hoped by showing early images we could bring people into the process a little more. It's not just sales teams a publisher has to please, but the buyers at major book chains - who often have a huge influence in the cover art you see on the shelves - so please don't think they're just spaffing out these images to wind you all up. They're not.

The problem with that assertion is that there are plenty of excellent UK SFF covers around at the moment, many of them also from Macmillan/Tor, so simply blaming the market doesn't entirely work.

The problem with that assertion is that there are plenty of excellent UK SFF covers around at the moment, many of them also from Macmillan/Tor, so simply blaming the market doesn't entirely work.

Unfortunately, a publisher needs more than simple aesthetic values when it comes to selling books. "ZOMG I love/hate that cover!1!" is not enough to use to build a business model. What you hate, someone else likes. All they have to go on his how it performs in the market.

The two Abraham ones are a little generic, but not too bad at all. I suppose it would be hard to match the standards set by the Long Quartet covers. ;)

I couldn't agree more.

Although I did like Brandon Sanderson's rationale for switching artists/styles for different series that he posted on the board a few years back - he said that they change it up to try and attract different buyers and get them possibly try an author that they may have over looked in the past. So, if a decidedly more generic fantasy cover will get more people reading Daniel's work, then I'm all for it :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more.

Although I did like Brandon Sanderson's rationale for switching artists/styles for different series that he posted on the board a few years back - he said that they change it up to try and attract different buyers and get them possibly try an author that they may have over looked in the past. So, if a decidedly more generic fantasy cover will get more people reading Daniel's work, then I'm all for it :thumbsup:

IDK about this. Joe Abercrombie posted something similar to this too about his new covers, but I have absolutely no idea how or why a publisher thinks that a more generic cover will attract people.

Archived