NFL Offseason Thread 2

Rhom

Toby to Minnesota! That is going to be a POWERFUL backfield. Hell of a replacement for Chester Taylor, IMO.

I agree with you Rots, kinda sucks that I'll be pulling for a team with Brett Favre (presumably), but hell, Toby's worth it. He fits right in with the image of the NFC North, I'll tell you that.

Niners came away with Taylor Mays in the second. In one sense I love the pick because he's a crazy good athlete at a position of need for us. And he sort of fits the scheme too-- really we're looking for an in the box type safety to replace Michael Lewis, and Mays can definitely do that.

On the other hand, I wish we could've gotten a guy like Nate Allen who went earlier in the round to Philly. More of a complete safety to balance out the D. Also, it makes me kind of nervous that everyone one of the players we've picked so far could've been drafted by the Raiders and I wouldn't have batted an eye. It's all size, speed, strength, and potential. I hope a. Sing knows what he's doing and b. he really can coach 'em up.

I didn't love the Mays pick for the Niners, but I think Iupati was a real solid pick, and Davis could turn out pretty well.

I was gonna post "Golden Tate to the Pats here?"... but they traded down. AGAIN.

I get why the trading down makes sense, if we can still get the players we want and pick up more later round picks...but it's so disappointing when the Patriots are on the clock and then they trade! It's like having a present handed to me and then taken away before I can unwrap it! Sigh.

I like Gronkowski. And Cunningham. I think.

But that's okay, because they've got Brady Quinn too! That's quite the trifecta of QBs. Maybe they can have them all on the field at once and do the triple QB option. See? McDaniels is a friggin GENIUS.

How could I not mention Brady Quinn! I wonder if 3 meh QB's can make one good one?

So I've got a serious question.

If the Pats manage to get all the 6th and 7th round picks, do they win a prize? Do draft picks fall out of the sky?

Was wondering this, too. Also, WTF re: Colt McCoy? I think he's gonna be the best QB from this Draft class, does nobody friggin' want to take him?

I'm not big on McCoy either. It's still the spread offense, he disappeared at times, and he's small. Honestly it's just not that strong of a QB class this year, and if you could avoid getting one I think you should have - especially with the glut of good non-QB players.

And Golden Tate to the Seahawks. Huh. Again - just don't see the need for WR when they need everything else, but they did well in the first round.

I really expected Seattle to take McCoy. Wonder where he's gonna end up now.

Another defensive player for NE. Hopefully we'll eventually be able to stop people and not have to go for it on 4th and 2...:angry:

Browns get TJ Ward (S) and Montario Hardesty (RB), two bruising players at spots we definitely need, a lot of CLE fans are going crazy that they didn't pick Colt. However, Holmgren has stated that he didn't like picking a QB this early as he likes to find gems in the late rounds.

ETA:

The TE NE picked up was really happy to go there, but the Pats never use TEs that much.

Seattle has had a very solid draft.

Well, there goes the last of the four "star" QBs of 2009.

Sam Bradford: Rams

Tim Tebow: Broncos

Jimmy Clausen: Panthers

Colt McCoy: Browns.

This should be . . . interesting. I'm hoping some of them get a shot at playing in the coming season.

Interesting draft for the Bengals so far.

Gresham in the first so we have a legit TE now.

Dunlap in the second to help improve our pass rush.

Shipley in the third to give Palmer a legit underneath receiver ala Welker.

Ghee in the third to provide CB depth.

I'm ok with it. I think I would have chosen Decker, Price or Gilyard over Shipley but to be honest, looking at his highlights, scouting report and style, he sounds like a great fit in the slot for us and once again, can be one of those players that helps us now.

Seems like a pretty balanced draft so far. Help the passing game and add defensive depth.

Archived