NFL Offseason Thread 2

Rhom

SD trading a ton to get an RB - in a draft full of good RB prospects - is just baffling. Especially with Sproles. I don't get that at all.

It makes sense because Ryan Mathews is awesome.

That trade between Miami and SD seemed ill-thought out for the Chargers. I guess they really wanted Matthews and had some reason to think someone else was gonna nab him.

Seattle and Houston were both rumored to want him.

By the way....whoever gets Dez Bryant is going to get a steal. I'm very disappointed that the Patriots just traded out of pick 22. Dez would have been a great choice there. Would love to see him end up with the Pats at pick 24, or with the Bears (if they somehow trade into the 1st round....very doubtful).

The Pats still could get Dez Bryant. How crazy is that?

And I agree that Ryan Matthews is awesome. But so is Best, and you could get him at 28 or even later. It just wasn't that pressing a need, and unless an RB is an insanely awesome guy and you really need one, they're one of the most fungible positions in a draft.

I love the 49ers draft so far. You can never have too many athletic OL.

No you can't. As the 49ers had better damned well know by now.

I can now stop panicking about the niners and go back to panicking about the Sharks.

The Pats still could get Dez Bryant. How crazy is that?

Its insane. I can't wait to see what happens with this pick.

And I agree that Ryan Matthews is awesome. But so is Best, and you could get him at 28 or even later. It just wasn't that pressing a need, and unless an RB is an insanely awesome guy and you really need one, they're one of the most fungible positions in a draft.

Yeah, I do agree that RB is an easy position to fill. But I also like Mathews a lot more than Best. He's a complete back. Best is too small.

Except that the Pats trade it away! And give Bryant to the boys.

Sometimes I think the Pats get way too cute stockpiling midpicks for players. They've done this for years. To be fair, some times their first round picks have not panned out that well, and some times they've just not been that interested anyway - but it seems like they play this game where they just try and get as many picks as possible.

I think that's potentially a very big mistake for the Pats.

Except that the Pats trade it away! And give Bryant to the boys.

Sometimes I think the Pats get way too cute stockpiling midpicks for players. They've done this for years. To be fair, some times their first round picks have not panned out that well, and some times they've just not been that interested anyway - but it seems like they play this game where they just try and get as many picks as possible.

I think that's potentially a very big mistake for the Pats.

Completely agree. I hate this move. They had a chance to get a top 10 talent with the 24th pick and passed. Can't understand that at all.

Mike Mayock has compared Bryant's talent to Andre Johnson. He could be a beast.

Yeah, I do agree that RB is an easy position to fill. But I also like Mathews a lot more than Best. He's a complete back. Best is too small.

But with Sproles, you are already pretty much committed to splitting the position. Getting a complete back means you basically bench Sproles.

Now there is some concern that basically Best is a better version of Sproles and you are still lacking a power back, but Best is a weapon. Really reminded me of DeSean Jackson when he got in the open field.

The team that gets Best is going to be very happy with him.

ETA - TEBOW??!!??? Really????

Edited Again: Somebody hose off Treb.

Tebow to Denver. Wow.

Gotta admit, I'm intrigued.

ETA: Though Kiper just ripped him a new one. Think he's angry about what happened to Jimmy-boy the son he never had.

ESPN has had like a complete breakdown in getting information to the desk in the last five minutes. "Baltimore is on the clock... that's Tim Tebow? Baltimore is on the clock!" Meanwhile, on the screen you can see Tebow and his whole family putting on Broncos hats, and the chyron has announced a trade to Denver. Live television is its own form of theater sometimes.

But with Sproles, you are already pretty much committed to splitting the position. Getting a complete back means you basically bench Sproles.

Sproles will still have value as a 3rd down back this year. But Mathews has the skill to do everything, and after this season? Doubt the Chargers will keep Sproles around.

So, Denver, here's what you did:

You got a non-starting CB

Brady Quinn

a questionable rookie WR

and Tim Tebow

For:

a 4k passer

a star WR that singlehandedly changed games

Anytime you can do that, you have to lock that down right away.

The thing I don't get about getting Tebow now is...why? Who else was going to even think about taking him? Craziness.

Archived